• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION ZF's progress thread

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by ZF Lee, Jul 18, 2018.

1. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,301
    Alright, just as I said. I would post some results from my Reddit tests.

It seems that the folks need to see something tangible. I still will need to develop a cheap prototype and have 50-100 batches.

I spotted a competing product being used by someone from today's meeting. I borrowed it for a while and tried using it. Not as good. Needs modification, and perhaps a bit on the aesthetics. I was flabbergested to find it priced at RM50. RM50??? You could buy a good dinner with that. Should knock it down to a fraction of the price. Underpricing can perhaps be a good secondary value attribute as long as it begins at the start of a sales funnel.

Speaking of sales funnels, I started studying up on the sales funnels of different companies in other industries. Do their products match? Are they complementary? What do the blogger pundits say about them? I even checked up some of their developments on the Wayback machine to see progress in action. Oddly, my field doesn't have visible sales funnels even with decent e-commerce storefronts. I wonder why.

I have been spending more time on diesel and coffee, courtesy of meetup.com.
    Literally. I just order drinks instead of food, so that I can listen to people talk and take notes.

Coming back from this odd thread of mine...
    RANT - Just When I Thought I Had it all Figured Out....
    ..I mentioned how in my first forays into meetup.com, I ran into another Amway trap and was fortunate to get out alive.

Today, I went to TWO meetups.

The first was a morning meeting for a money management meetup.
    I met a guy working with Great Eastern insurance company and another younger college guy who did a banking and finance degree.

They discussed a rather Slowlane method of saving and planning, but I found it sound as they discouraged rash spending on speculative investing and urging me to develop a 'million dollar skill' to scale up, possibly in a biz.

Then they suggested to me an evergreen market to start out from ,which many professional like doctors and lawyers had joined for the networking. God knows what....it was selling INSURANCE....

The folks weren't pushy, but discussed matters in an educational way, which I'll give them credit for. They explained that:
    1. The professional folks that come by can network and get referrals or industry know-how from each other.
    2. Selling insurance is protection against uncertainty. In fact, it is merely a concept, not a product.

They invited me to pop by at their office to see how they do stuff and even a free entrance to one of their weekly meetings. I promised I would find time to hop by, for the sake of connections. Never know when you will need insurance folks.

Around the last few minutes, some crypto guy from Belarus popped by at the meeting. He started telling his long tale on working with some other blockchain folks looking to produce some open-source platform with more accurate popularity or ranking systems. Once he started pouring the jargon, the insurance guys said bye and left lol.

The guy spoke rather liberally, so I chatted with him for an hour while he worked on a Github article to explain how to fix a certain issue. There were many things we talked, but he recommended me a book called 'Doughnut Economics'. Later, I saw some videos on it, and found that it talked on some falsities of modern economical theories, as well as some suggestions to ammend that.

Later at night, I met with a group of REAL entrepreneurs for the first time in a long while. With REAL businesses. Some did property. Some did apps catering to Chinese folks. One did event organization. One did counselling for MNCs and government companies. We shared business tales, personal choices and lots of others that Fastlaners like to discuss here in this very forum. I recorded LOTS of insights from our discussions, some probably helpful to know them a tad better for upcoming meetups.

When I mentioned my work on Upwork, one of the folks took interest in it. I got a gig from him to help him out with a clipart biz selling pics for US teachers to put on kids' worksheets. The guy said it was more of a hobby to him now as he was too lazy to up the social media marketing. The guy actually asked me to be his PARTNER for that, but I told him to just get me on a contractual basis at first.

Weird. Why ask a stranger to partner up?

So things to look into:
    1. Chart some time to work with the clipart guy-prepping some invoices and revving up the Wave accounting app
    2. Get a prototype done and some more accurate market hypothesis to benchmark from for further testing
    3. Sell off some college books for some quick capital and buy some cheaper second-hand books for my upcoming uni sem

Musashi, Arun Siva, Roz and 4 others like this.
  2. jpanarra

jpanarra Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,918
    Awesome stuff, Always saw you around the forum but now I'm looking forward to see what you've decided to go with!

ZF Lee likes this.
  3. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,301
    Went to an e-commerce meetup last night.
    Had a few entrepreneurs critic my idea.

Got a tip from one of them to visit a trade fair of my industry happening this week. Kuala Lumpur City Centre.

f*ck...two of those trade fair days are occupied by bloody classes.
    I'm not sure if going for one day only might hurt my chances of going in fresh to the fair. I want to ask a sh*t ton of questions, talking and so on.

I could give my classes the bird, since they are just lectures and not tutorials. I do have online notes to make up for the lost lessons...

On validation, I'm thinking that the trade fair can indicate another dimension of demand as well. I'll never know what suppliers might reveal....

Yikes!

Another bad news. The clipart seller guy didn't reach out to me...so I think he either forgot about me or didn't need me in the first place. No biggie...I can find better jobs on Upwork, so I'm not needy for that.

EDIT: Registration page down? WTF? How in the hell do your people register then??? Jeezzz.

I'll either have to email the related association directly or just park my a$$ there. Thankfully, the fair allows public visitors, but with proper registration.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Arun Siva likes this.
  4. ZF Lee

Rep Bank:
    $7,301
    Uggh...couldn't go for the trade fair.

The registration blocked me out.

Bummer.

And one thing I noticed after the critic with the entrepreneurs. The pain that the product should solve isn't very 'painful' to solve. Sure, I could market the pain to seem more 'painful'...but I'm just starting out. I'm not going to do black magic yet.

The recent tests on social media ads and google ads seem to need more capital than expected, as well as product testing, so I decided to get a few more Upwork gigs to avoid me digging into my reserves.

I just read the Adweek Copywriting Handbook by Joseph Sugarman. Got lots of valuable tips, especially on the importance of understanding the nature of the product and thinking outside of the usual market constraints.

And when I went to Upwork....I found a nice note from the team, saying that they would switch accounts automatically to 'private' after 30 days of no client activity. That was what happened to me.

Bummer.

I guess its partly my fault. I shut it for a while earlier after getting busy with my first clients.

I can still write proposals to clients though, or sign up for the Freelancer plus. So if there's something I can do about it, it'll be fine.

Funny, I applied to FB copy gigs for the first time ever. I remember being advised to test my product on FB earlier...so the coincidence is very timely.

I'm bidding for more than my usual rates. As usual, I threw in some samples for their free usage. Instead of presenting the FB copy in raw Microsoft Word form, I decided to try using an FB ads mockup generator. Very easy to use. Just google it up. I used this one:

AdParlor Mockup Generator

Not as complicated as emails and e-commerce funnel copy....the testing aside. We'll look at responses in the morning....

EDIT: I know this is kinda off-topic...but somehow listening to soundtracks of select movies during 'incubation period' (Joseph Sugarman lol) makes your revisions of copy rather different....

This is one I am listening to now...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrXTS10h2WI

Don't mind the monster. Just listen lol.

EDIT 2: Yippee...one day later and got my Upwork profile back public again!
    I added a bit of copy from FB to my portfolio. Quite a bit of fun actually.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Arun Siva likes this.
  5. ZF Lee

Rep Bank:
    $7,301
    Wow....cheap bastard needing me to write 5-6 pages of sales copy for a damn e-book.

And wants to pay me $10. $10 f*cking bucks!

Should have billed at least a hundred.

And the topic of the e-book? How to save money.

Go figure.

Pass.

The tragedy is that there are 5-10 proposals waiting there already. Freelancers who don't value their skills and time enough....bloody tragedy.

Argue and Arun Siva like this.
  6. Arun Siva

Arun Siva aspiring 大君 of the bourgeoisie Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,074
  7. ZF Lee

Rep Bank:
    $7,301
    Thanks.
    Odd....the Upwork clients don't seem to be responding as quickly as they used to.
    This is just for some more capital....but I'm just wondering about that.

8. ZF Lee

Rep Bank:
    $7,301
    My goodness....!

Suddenly got a wave of offers for work on Upwork.....had to decline a good many of them.

I guess it was a good move to update my portfolio then.

I really would like to work with them and provide value, but nah....I have limits on time and skills. And I'm don't intend to start an Upwork service business lol.

Screw college homework and group assignments. Why is everyone a dead fish until the very last week?
    I'm tired of taking charge of group projects and rowing the boat from disaster, instead of just being a nominal contributor.

9. ZF Lee

Rep Bank:
    $7,301
    Here am I worrying on how to test Facebook ads in a more progressive manner, to the point of stagnation, until I ran into my answer while doing some proposal sample work for Upwork...

The potential client was looking for someone to do a Canva case study to prove the results of his social media company to clients.

So I went to look for existing social media case studies to make Canva infographs on.....

AND FOUND THIS MOTHERFUCKER

Facebook Ads Case Study: The Million Dollar Indiegogo Campaign

So yeah...if you run out of ideas...go do freelancing? Work a job? :wideyed:

EDIT: Making an infographic from scratch is like trying to push a pig through the eye of a needle....:rage:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018