The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You're Not Ready for a Mentor if....

A post of a ranting nature...

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
You are your best mentor.

Ask yourself the right questions. Teach yourself what you need to know.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If I spend weeks of my personal time helping you, only to have you buy some other training course which tells you to spam myself, SinisterLex, and 58 other people, exposing all of our personal emails, ignoring any advice we give you, literally begging us to give you $1 and saying you will get on the ground and kiss our feet for it...and to leave a less-than-5-star-review on my book with part of the reasoning for it because you didn't like the title...

If you're going to act all excited at first, waste people's time by not listening to their advice, and jump to the next get-rich-quick scheme...you're not ready for a mentor.

Oh boy, I smell a story here...

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Way back when I was a supervisor in the technical field, I could see the difference of who would do and who would not. It was clear as can be. Some asked for training, the others would just figure out how to do the job. Those were the ones that I would help.

Both God & @SteveO help those who help themselves.

...if you get defensive towards the feedback you receive.

I think the way to say this is: Don't ask for feedback when what you're really wanting is validation. We actually have a great example of that in a thread started by a new member this morning :clench:

literally begging us to give you $1 and saying you will get on the ground and kiss our feet for it

Wouldn't have happened if you'd sent me the dollar. This feels like your fault. That's seriously cringeworthy, though. You're very generous with your PM time. I'm sorry to hear that.

Apparently...

...this thread topic hits a nerve for quite a few people lol

Wasn't what I was going for... but this place never disappoints.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
If I spend weeks of my personal time helping you, only to have you buy some other training course which tells you to spam myself, SinisterLex, and 58 other people, exposing all of our personal emails, ignoring any advice we give you, literally begging us to give you $1 and saying you will get on the ground and kiss our feet for it...and to leave a less-than-5-star-review on my book with part of the reasoning for it because you didn't like the title...

If you're going to act all excited at first, waste people's time by not listening to their advice, and jump to the next get-rich-quick scheme...you're not ready for a mentor.
I do not envy your choice of business. My experiences have directed me away from this type of interaction. Good luck. :)

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Arghhh.... Now we are ALL going to be struck by lightning! (the weapon of choice, right?)

@SteveO I just PM'ed you my punchlist of everything I'm looking for in a mentor. Please submit your application along with an essay entitled "Why I can do Gman's work for him" no later than midnight April 9th.

Really did not expect his thread to go this way..... thought it would be people sharing their experiences,... and instead it's tirades and blashphemy.

I should have expected this. :rofl:

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
I have a similar story in a similar vein. Could easily be same guy.

I was browsing Reddit r/entrepreneur (yuk, I stopped going to Reddit after coming here) and I saw a bunch of people complaining about how great an entrepreneur they'd be if they just had a business idea. It's like business ideas just fall out of the sky or something.

So I decide to post a comment along the lines of, "I got lots of problems/solutions from my workplace that I don't feel like spending my time to work on, but they still are viable. If anyone wants them PM me."

I get two PMs (out of about 25 people bitching in the thread) asking about the ideas.

PM the first guy one of the problem/solution. He responds:

"That's too hard of a business. What are the other ideas?"

That exchange sums up Reddit (and the general population) for you.

As Eminem says,

"Look
If you had
One shot
Or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
In one moment
Would you capture it
Or just let it slip?
Yo"

Buy 7 habits of highly effective people, read the chapter on being proactive, and implement ruthlessly.

This is some damn good advice. I highly recommend everyone reading this thread to read that chapter. I only read the chapter, though I am sure the rest of the book is amazing.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Great post.

If you seek mentorship, become a person who warrants mentorship.

Have a body of work that justifies the position. And by body of work, I mean meaningful action (and failure.) Show the mentor WHY you are worthy and why you could be valuable to him/her.

This is why I have never dreamed of asking anyone here to mentor me. I'm still at the wax on, wax off stage, maybe after that I'll be worthy of pushing a broom around.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Buy 7 habits of highly effective people, read the chapter on being proactive, and implement ruthlessly.

Ordered; thanks.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Oh boy, I smell a story here...
Imagine for a moment that a new forum member who seems passionate about building a business messages you.

You spend your time giving him advice on a specific business, only to have him jump to the next idea after you spend your time trying to help...Then you make the mistake of helping some more....

1.png

And after the other person in the email chain replies in that message...we get a follow up.

2.png

And this is the moment I took my email address out of my book lol

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Imagine for a moment that a new forum member who seems passionate about building a business messages you.

You spend your time giving him advice on a specific business, only to have him jump to the next idea after you spend your time trying to help...Then you make the mistake of helping some more....

View attachment 14562

And after the other person in the email chain replies in that message...we get a follow up.

View attachment 14563

The "sorry if you hate me now" schtick is something I would associate with a spoiled teenage girl. I love how he had the audacity to keep after the "give me a dollar" bit after getting called out.

If I had been on that dude's list, his email would have been signed up for a dozen of the filthiest sites I could find on the interwebs.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
There's many industries where entrepreneurs need help building businesses/brands...It's about time that I pivot to a new niche...

#fashion
View attachment 14564
Maybe you can help change the game. Models are often treated like shit and taken advantage of in the parasitic industry which is fashion.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Maybe you can help change the game. Models are often treated like shit and taken advantage of in the parasitic industry which is fashion.

That's what I'm looking to do. I've made friends with two experienced models and already learned at least 3 solid pain points in the industry in regards to how they are treated, taken advantage of, confidence destroyed...on top of the business skills the freelance models can use to help boost their brand.

But I don't want to derail the topic here :)

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
I'm a controller by trade. Most people would consider that successful given I'm 31. Here's the problem: I F*cking hate accounting.

Unless your dream is to be 31 and staring at spreadsheets for 10 hours a day, I'm not your guy.

^^^^^This was me in a universe far far away. I still hate accounting and I only do it because the IRS is scary.

I'm also laughing at the "please send me a dollar". Worst. Outreach. Ever. :rofl:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

View attachment 14562

View attachment 14563

What a massive dickweed.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I have a similar story in a similar vein. Could easily be same guy.

I was browsing Reddit r/entrepreneur (yuk, I stopped going to Reddit after coming here) and I saw a bunch of people complaining about how great an entrepreneur they'd be if they just had a business idea. .

Translation; I'd be great spending my millions if somebody just handed it all to me...

As I said to someone once; don't fantasise about being a millionaire, fantasise about becoming a millionaire.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.