The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You're better than you think you are

Anything related to matters of the mind

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Hey yo, hope everyone had a super awesome Christmas. Hope you have real snow and not the slushy, rainy shit we get in the west coast. Hope you stocked up on egg nogg so you don't have to wait so long until next season. But maybe you're not as much of a junkie for that stuff as I am. Which is a good thing. I should stop drinking it because it's making my skin break out which really sucks, but since I discovered that mixing it in coffee is like taste-bud-gasmic, I've been unable to restrain myself. Fml.

Anyways the reason I've gathered all your eyes is partially because I'm an attention whore, and partially because I have an important message. I want to inject some positivity in your veins. I'm going to make you positivity high and hopefully a positivity junkie.

This is not just positivity like that "just be positive and cut out negativity" bullshit they try to sell you at Chapters (not knocking Chapters, they're alright), but just to try to change your perspective on things.

I'm not really good at this mindset stuff like @AndrewNC , so bear with me if my writing on this seems sloppy, but maybe this might help just a little.

When you think about it, we as human beings tend to live with a sort of comfort zone. There's things we're comfortable with, and things we are not.

We have things we perceive are within our reach and things we perceive as being beyond us.

And it's important to make note of this because really everything in this universe is perception. We like to use thee terms "good and bad" when really they mean nothing on an objective level, yet they mean so much to us personally. "good days, bad days", "good food, bad food", "good neighbourhood, bad neighbourhood" etc. etc.

But these are all perceptions. If you look at a star, is it good or bad? You probably think it's good if it provides your planet with stellar energy, and you would probably think it's bad if it turns into a supernova explosion and smites your galaxy, but ultimately, it's the same star. Does an alien from Terra-72 care whether the neighbourhood is Compton or West Hamptons? Unlikely. It's probably going to enslave the population of both anyways, so it doesn't care. But for you, thinking about either probably triggers a feeling of preference within you. That's your perception speaking, buddy.

We tend to own our perceptions more than we realize. And most people go throughout their lives not realizing their perceptions were crafted without them having prior input.

I hear parents or oldies tell their kids or younger people, "you have to find something realistic to do with your life." You know what I mean? "Realisitc." The F*ck does that mean? I always kinda figured "well if it exists, doesn't that make it realistic?"

But to the people who say this, they feel realistic is synonymous with "it's attainable by what I've allowed myself to believe is my ability."

I remember my friend would always want to be a professional guitar player. He loved music, and he ended up being pretty good at it too. I would go to his house and we'd have jam sessions, and talk about how we're gonna be super awesome famous rock musicians.

When he'd tell this to his parents, they would tell him in the most condescending way possible, "what you wanna do is not realistic!" As if there's some scientific force that would hinder him at all costs if he wanted to achieve this.

Unfortunately, I don't think he ended up pursuing his passion and ended up settling for a sidewalker/slowlane life, at least that's how it sounded when I talked to him last.

This wasn't by choice either. If he would give up on his dream it's because he genuinely didn't think he was capable.

Or in school for example, they teach people to get a salaried job, budget, and save money for retirement. You're taught that you need to present yourself well to a hire authority, and that's how you get through life. I remember reading my friend's Planning class homework and it said, "choose a realistic job you may have in the future."

And it follows folks into their adult life. They see a Toyota Camry, and they think, "that's easy to get. I just need a finance plan, and I'll be driving one."

See a Mercedes Benz E-Class and they think, "that's too expensive, someone like me can't afford that." Completely overlooking the fact that both a Toyota and Mercedes are driven by mere mortals. (Again not a knock against Toyota Camrys, they're pretty dope cars actually).

Actually, my mom gave me some of the best insight I ever got.

We were talking about the world one day, like our over-opinionated selves do, and she said, "probably the reason why there's such a difference between the upper class and lower class is because the lower class are brought up their whole lives to obey authority and conform, while the upper class are brought up being told that they're the ones who will be telling others what to do, and dictating society."

I'm not encouraging a class elitism here, I'm just pointing out how differences in thinking create the realities of each.

It shows that we grow up with our perspectives conditioned for us when our minds are developing, and most people get the chance to try and alter it.

Now I've ranted a lot, if you're still with me, have a cookie and a glass of egg nogg.

*You eat cookie and glass of egg nogg. Om nom nom nom nom nom.

People set limits for themselves and we don't even know it. They assume that having a sports car and mansion is just for other people, and not them. They go through life robotically, playing it safe. They never challenge themselves, they never set out to do something that most people think they can't. They just live in their comfort zone and go through life like they're told they're supposed to.

If you're here though, you're probably not most people. Which is good. Most people are boring anyways.

But maybe you still look at a million dollars as if it were a big goal.

Maybe you want to get into better shape, and think it's going to be a lot a lot a lot a lot of work.

Maybe you need to mend relationships with certain people in your life, but you feel it isn't salvageable.

Here's my perception of you:

You're better than you think you are.

I bet you a million dollars and a gold-plated mummified cat that you're smarter than you've been giving yourself credit for.

I bet that you're just as, if not more capable than anyone at making a million dollars. Total imbeciles become millionaires, I'd bet you can too.

I'd bet that whatever you're trying to achieve, you're more than capable of doing it, even if you don't realize it.

And any indication other wise happened as a result of you not being aware of your capability.

I bet that if you put in the effort, and committed yourself to any goal that was meaningful to you, you would achieve it. I bet you can be a total boss at life if you allow yourself to.

I can't make you do anything though.

It's up to YOU to give yourself permission to be as amazing as you can be.

If something is important enough to you, you'll find a way to make it happen. I believe in you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Great post, thanks for sharing this!

Yesterday when I sat at the table with my family after dinner, the topic of my future plans came up, the topic that I try to avoid to discuss with my family. It's really crazy how their doubts can make you doubt your own beliefs and ways of thinking. Not that it would change my beliefs and ways of thinking or any actions, but they achieved it (without bad intentions) that I really felt insecure about my business and worried a bit about my future.

The usual "you have so much potential, why not use it for a good job?" or "how can you afford your flat, when your brother moves out to live with his girlfriend?" I'm used to those questions, that's why I avoid those topics in front of my family, but yesterday I couldn't get around it so we discussed and I tried to explain my point of view. They maybe accepted it but their words definitely made me worry, of course I'm afraid of having to move out my flat, I love living there. But this fear doesn't help me. I know that they can't see what I see, simply because those are my visions, or my goals, but I think I should stick to my rule of not talking about those topics with my family to avoid the worries and negative thoughts coming up in my mind.

G

Guest34764

but I think I should stick to my rule of not talking about those topics with my family to avoid the worries and negative thoughts coming up in my mind.

You don't even sound confident in yourself or your actions.

You should be the "Puppet-master" of those conversations and topics.

Those negative thoughts are only present due to the fact of your uncertainty about your future.

I do like you as a person Supa, but you need to work on getting rid of uncertainty.

Sure you're not a millionaire!But everyone who aspires to be one should be certain of the direction they want to head, there's no room for uncertainty.

Have total confidence when speaking to family members that are less knowledgeable about anything financial.

You can't become a shark if you're afraid of guppies.

I'm sort of rambling on at this point, but I'm sure you somewhat understand what I was getting at.

Have a nice day.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany

Those negative thoughts are only present due to the fact of your uncertainty about your future.

I do like you as a person Supa, but you need to work on getting rid of uncertainty.

Sure you're not a millionaire!But everyone who aspires to be one should be certain of the direction they want to head, there's no room for uncertainty.

Have total confidence when speaking to family members that are less knowledgeable about anything financial.

I'm sort of rambling on at this point, but I'm sure you somewhat understand what I was getting at.

Have a nice day.

Thanks @Omega. I'm not uncertain about my future, I know what I want to achieve and I know that I am able to achieve it. I wanted to highlight the poisoning effects that family discussions like this can have on your confidence. It's hard to convince someone of your mindset, if those people were conditioned to live the Slowlane life since they were children.

I know my direction, and I know that I'm heading in that direction. I just learned that those discussions about your plans only take away from your energy, energy that you better invest into you building your own future. Most people won't believe that you will achieve what you plan to achieve, until you achieved it. So why waste your time trying to convince them? I didn't spend a single thought on giving up or changing direction or anything, neither did I give in into their mindset.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
The usual "you have so much potential, why not use it for a good job?"
Just smile and say, "because I don't want to."

Have a nice day.
Sometimes it's not use to talk to family members about what you're doing, but for a different reason: it's a waste of energy to argue with someone who's already decided they aren't going to see things your way.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Very inspiring post. Your mom knows what's up also. Those were wise words.

I know that they can't see what I see

Ditto here

^^^ And this was the answer...

...and the challenge. Hard to describe, but to a person that is not particularly extroverted, it feels like you just can't come up with the words to own the conversation, no matter what. One because one probably needs to work on selling themselves (besides working on confidence) but also because well, an underlying feeling of confronting your own family makes one uncomfortable enough to just wanna avoid the whole thing altogether.

Maybe spending sometime coming up with a pitch-like response or actually carrying the conversation in our heads the way we would like it to go would make us more confident and prepared to stand our ground.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
You're better than you think you are.
I would have to say, in my experience, this was an important milestone. Understanding it doesn't matter what the world around you is telling you, deep down inside you know you're more than what others can comprehend or ever want to believe.

To be honest I am standing at a place where I see how many lies I bought into in life first as a women, and second in success. And it's true people want to please others more than step out of the family tribal dysfunction and rising up and learning to fly like the phoenix from the ashes. I don't believe everyone is made for the Fastlane or even has the strength to arrive here. I believe some people purposely don't get here. They like they're lives the way it is.

Sure they believe what they've been programmed to believe. They're just doing what they've been taught. It ticks you off in the process seeing what you feel for, but well worth it. At the same time, you might not feel you're doing anything, but than the rewards come at different times along the way, showing you, you were on the right path for you. It's a choice whether you fall backwards, are keep rising upward and reaching your full potential.

The whole Journey in life is all about you in the end, what you learned from the experience. What you learned about being the best you. Others try to make it about them, feel victimized by your personal growth, but it's there choice not to reach their full potential. Why be ashamed or feel guilty about having the strength, courage,and bravery to be something more than others choose to be.

Sacrifices come, and where isn't there a place in the world where you don't make a sacrifice. Whether you reach your full potential or stay in the same place you still have to sacrifice something. There's always something to lose and something to be gained. It comes down to what you want to create in life, or who you truly want to be. How bad do you want succeed?

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
@Ninjakid Just thank you man... really. I don't even know you but you sound like a brother from another virtual mother out there.

Almost! I give birth to computers, they call me "daddy". **This makes much more sense in my brain language, hard to translate to English.

...and the challenge. Hard to describe, but to a person that is not particularly extroverted, it feels like you just can't come up with the words to own the conversation, no matter what. One because one probably needs to work on selling themselves (besides working on confidence) but also because well, an underlying feeling of confronting your own family makes one uncomfortable enough to just wanna avoid the whole thing altogether.

Maybe spending sometime coming up with a pitch-like response or actually carrying the conversation in our heads the way we would like it to go would make us more confident and prepared to stand our ground.

Totally feel ya. Not everyone wants to just get up there and go on a self-directed tirade to family. Not that it's a problem, just a preference.

The whole Journey in life is all about you in the end, what you learned from the experience.

I prefer to live in the moment, and make the best of what I'm experiencing now. Everything we think do and say attracts more of itself to us, and in the now moment is when we get to decide that.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014

Buickestate

any colour as long as it comes with wood
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
Great post, thanks for the inspiration.

Andy the topic discussed on the pod cast you shared should be a thread on it's own,it's a very important topic to discus on this forum.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy the topic discussed on the pod cast you shared should be a thread on it's own,it's a very important topic to discus on this forum.
Good idea. New thread here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!