The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your thoughts on 4HWW model for starting an Importing business....

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
For those of you who have started successful importing businesses and have also read 4-Hour Workweek...

Is the instruction he gives a good model to use when setting up an Importing business selling goods online? I've read it a couple times and I used the model once to set up a sales website for an e-book I created.

I'm halfway through the "Addicted to Passive Income Deposits" thread and would like to get started on importing goods and selling them online.

If you wouldn't recommend this model, is there any other books/resources you'd suggest?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Between 4HWW and Vigs thread on 'Addicted', no contest. Vigs wins by a mile. Read 'em both, and if you want reality, use Addicted and ask questions. If you want Reality TV, stick with 4HWW, if you get my drift...

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
I definitely see a lot more detailed advice in Addicted, it just seems to be scattered throughout. I found that 4HWW had a definite process, and maybe I haven't read enough of the Addicted thread but I'm finding it hard to piece together the necessary steps in order..

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I like the 4HWW. However, for everyone (including the author) it's not realistic, from the standpoint that neither he nor anyone successful can effectively grow a business in that amount of time. However, the basic principles are sound, the concepts are cool, and his advice on importing is decent. The concept of the 4 hour work week is a great marketing headline to sell books. The substance of the book is solid and I recommend it. I really enjoyed it. He knows what he is talking about. For me, like him... it is ALL about automation and outsourcing. However, I don't work 4 hours a week, and neither does he. It's just a mindset about how to free you from the constraints of the "typical" 9-to-5 worker mentality. It frees you up to think differently, work differently, and achieve greater success by breaking the traditional chains of the traditional methods of work and time. Separate time from income.

I have found the less time I spend on work, the less my company grows. There's a direct correlation in nearly all businesses between effort and results. So, don't drink the cool aid that eventually you will be able to not work and still generate ever increasing cash.

However, I work when I want. Some days, it's 2AM conversing with Asian suppliers. Some days it's 10 hours in the office. Some days (like today) it is exactly zero.

There's not much at all that conflicts between what Tim Ferris discusses about importing, and the Passive Income thread. Bottom line is you can make money while you sleep, while you surf, and while normal people are "off the clock."

Internet business works for you 24-7-365 and never sleeps.

Don't just read and copy his model. Don't just read and copy my process. Read EVERYTHING you can get your hands on, including books on importing, internet blogs, and several threads from this forum including Biophase's eCommerce thread. Educate yourself, and continue to develop YOUR model. There's no single roadmap for you to follow. Absorb it ALL, and never stop learning. There's no single path to take that will guarantee results. Blend it ALL together, and produce your own path. Take the best of what ever you find out there, and then take action. You'll make your own mistakes along the way. You should be able to minimize your mistakes by reading, reading, reading about how other people made mistakes along the way.

Good luck.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Don't just read and copy his model. Don't just read and copy my process. Read EVERYTHING you can get your hands on, including books on importing, internet blogs, and several threads from this forum including Biophase's eCommerce thread. Educate yourself, and continue to develop YOUR model. There's no single roadmap for you to follow. Absorb it ALL, and never stop learning. There's no single path to take that will guarantee results. Blend it ALL together, and produce your own path. Take the best of what ever you find out there, and then take action. You'll make your own mistakes along the way. You should be able to minimize your mistakes by reading, reading, reading about how other people made mistakes along the way.

Good luck.

I just had his blog post on self pubbing forwarded to me and I can't emphasize enough how much Vig is spot on here. There is a huge, HUGE difference between reading and thinking you see the roadmap, to actually putting on your shoes and seeing what it is like. Here is the important part - THE GENERAL ADVICE is general. His blog, what he wrote on self pubbing, HALF OF IT would not work, waste time, and HURT what I am trying to do. My model (well, HFR's) is different and you have to develop YOUR style by doing. But until you see the game, until you see it from within, you can't adjust and tweak. Reading about all the possible tweaks and things that could be done, you don't know what you need and what you don't.

Imagine JackEdwards reading through business blogs. He KNOWS what works for him. He SELECTS and chooses what he might find useful for HIS business. If you don't have a business, you are going to read a lot of great stuff and waste half of your time because you won't need to apply it.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
When I decide to upgrade to a Fastlane INSIDERS I'll be sure to check out the "Addicted to Passive Income Deposits" first.

It sounds very interesting, I wonder how long the thread is though. Is it basically a book? Haha

Yankee427

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 17, 2011
NJ
When I decide to upgrade to a Fastlane INSIDERS I'll be sure to check out the "Addicted to Passive Income Deposits" first.

It sounds very interesting, I wonder how long the thread is though. Is it basically a book? Haha

Yep it is probably longer than some of these books you find on the subject. MJ should basically just market the INSIDERS section using that, because the information in that thread alone is worth the money.

I'm trying to get into the space now as well and it's amazing how much is there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.