The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You WON'T Make BIG MONEY Until You Understand This... Even If You're Providing Value

William Ainslie

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Dec 13, 2016
South Africa
Thank you for the Thread - I do like the idea of certainty - for me, it takes trust to another level where I feel more happy with the service/product.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Thank you for the Thread - I do like the idea of certainty - for me, it takes trust to another level where I feel more happy with the service/product.
I agree with that - the feeling of certainty is definitely a powerful motivator. The way I see it though it is something that is built on the foundation of trust - it all starts there!

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
NEXT UP: How To Grow Your Sales By Writing Copy That Builds Trust

I'll make no secret out of this - copywriting is the secret sauce of selling anything to anyone online. Wanna make big bucks? You've heard it before... learn to write copy!

In fact, my marketing agency still holds "copywriting" as part of our name, even though we've long evolved from the days when we provided just copywriting services. And it's not just a branding thing...

It's much more than that. It demonstrates the importance of copywriting. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that it is the centerpiece of everything else we do because nothing works without the persuasive written word. Business is 80% about sales.

And yet... there's a BIG PROBLEM...

Most copywriting techniques you learn about out there often have the opposite effect of building trust - they destroy it.

Why?

Mostly because many of the principles you learn have been used by scammers and other online con-artists. They now function as a warning signal to many of the more sophisticated buyers out there.

Make no mistake, the copywriting tactics you learned may be effective at persuading, so long as there is trust. But if there is no trust, they will not be of any help.

So now that you know how to structure your funnels to BUILD TRUST, I'm going to show you how to add the meat to the bones by writing copy that BUILDS TRUST instead of destryoing it... This is the next step when it comes to writing your own paycheck... Putting the structure (your funnel) together with the content (the copy) will produce the WINNING RESULTS you're looking for.

So let's start...

Internet Markety Salesy Type Of Copy Destroys Trust As More Buyers Become Aware Of The Tactics...

Stuff like...

"I've worked with HUNDREDS of clients coaching them to reach the pinnacles of success"

"My clients have seen their lives transformed in under 2 months of working with me - and you can get the same results!"

"LIMITED TIME OFFER - Grab This Free + Shipping offer Today Before It's Gone!"

"Hurry! This Offer Won't Last Long!"

"The Body Of Your Dreams Can Be Yours In 1 Month Or Less With THIS SYSTEM!"

Etc.

This stuff is trying too hard. If you really have something valuable, there is no need to be so pushy.

If you've read Dr. Cialdini's Influence you know that the way to overcome most weapons of influence, when they're used against you, is by becoming aware that they're used AS MANIPULATIONS, to trigger your instinctual reactions in favor of the manipulator.

So if you give ONLY with the intent of taking, it's not gonna work... buyers will pick up on it.

How fast this will happen depends on your niche. One thing is for sure - if you're writing copy for marketers or entrepreneurs though, you BETTER be aware of this, because they will instantly pick up on it.

So here's the problem...

How Can We Market To Buyers Who Will Interpret The Weapons Of Influence As Manipulation?

Reciprocity...

Commitment/Consistency...

Social Proof...

Liking...

Authority...

Scarcity...

All these STOP working the moment they're interpreted as manipulations.

And yet... these are the backbone of all the copywriting that we have been taught. They are the backbone of persuasion... So what are we to do?

In order to find a solution, we have to go back...

Back to the foundations...

And we must ask...

What Is Copywriting?

Think about it...

What is it?

What is the essence of it?

Salesmanship in print.

And salesmanship is about bringing buyer and seller together... and closing the transaction.

And now we understand that the FOUNDATION for closing the transaction is TRUST.

In fact, we now know that TRUST comes BEFORE some can be fully persuaded. It is what makes persuasion possible.

So that's the secret...

#1 Write Copy To Build Trust First, And Only Secondly To Persuade

Armed with this principle, we can come up with another series of axioms that will help us focus on building trust first, and secondly on persuading.

We won't throw away all the other copywriting tactics that we have learned... no no, they are SUPER effective when it comes to PERSUASION, but we must BUILD TRUST first.

So this is just about ADDING to your copywriting arsenal...

So...

Ask yourself...

What destroys trust the most?

I think most of us would say it's dishonesty. When someone is dishonest with us, that's when we start losing trust in them.

So...

#2 Avoid Being Dishonest Or Using Dishonest Tactics

Especially if you find yourself in a TOUGH market where people interpret the principles of influence as manipulation almost by default... well then, you must say goodbye to any tactic that is deceptive.

Don't write limited time discount unless it really is limited time.

Don't write only 3 seats left, unless there really are only 3 seats left.

Don't put a FREE + SHIPPING offer and charge more than you actually pay for shipping. Add an image with your shipping costs.

Don't say you've worked with hundreds of clients, when you've worked only with 10.

Don't say people can achieve X results in Y time, unless that really is true.

It's that simple.

B
E

H
O
N
E
S
T

People prefer to work with honest people even if they seem less capable than with super capable people who seem dishonest.

There's also something else which is related to dishonesty which destroys trust. And that is lack of transparency. When you feel someone isn't transparent, you feel they're hiding something.

#3 Be As Transparent As Possible & Be Upfront About The Difficulties

This is closely related to number #2 above, but slightly different.

You must be transparent - you must use your copy to explain everything about your offer in crystal clear detail.

Don't say X and then delivery Y - that would be being dishonest. And don't leave out the not so good stuff - that would be lacking in transparency.

"Buuuuuuut... if I'm honest about the difficulties, nobody will buy shit from me!" you say...

FALSE.

Here's a story for you...

I remember back when I was selling some used furniture. I had this moldy wardrobe. And a couple had come to buy a small cupboard. When they arrived, they asked me if I have anything else for sale, since they were just moving in together.

I mentioned a few other pieces of furniture, and then I said... "I also have this wardrobe, but you DEFINITELY don't want it. It would be quite expensive, and it's also moldy"

As soon as I said that, they immediately said "We want to see it. Show it to us"

And to cut the story short, they had a look, they said they can clean or replace the moldy back, and they will take it. At my full price - which was like at a 10% discount from what I paid for it a few years back when I had gotten it brand new.

I never wanted to sell that wardrobe. I intended to give it away. But transparency built trust very quickly, and I closed the deal, even though I had no hopes of doing so.

Which brings us to...

#4 Don't Try Too Hard...

It's good to treat writing copy or salesmanship as a game sometimes... if you don't take it so seriously, you'll close more sales than if you're sitting there, all tight to close as many sales as possible...

Trying too hard destroys trust becuase it is a sign of insecurity. And insecurity means that you don't trust in the value that you have to offer. So if you don't trust in it, why should anyone else trust by flipping out their wallet and handing you the dough?

First you have to show that you trust in your own value. If someone doesn't want what you have to offer, it is THEIR LOSS, not yours. So don't beg them in your copy to buy. Don't make it seem like you're trying too hard.

You have to be careful because this is a mindset thing. And if you have this mindset, then it will show in your copy, trust me.

So remember: don't try too hard to close the sale!

And then there's the big one that will help you the most in the long run...

#5 Be Consistent In Your Copy & Messaging - Build A Reputation/Brand

I posted this before, but it's relevant. Just look at it:

It's breaking all the rules above apart from #5, and yet it's selling. #5 is why, and it's the BEST THING you can do for the long run.

And copywriting will help you, but you have to be consistent in your messaging across all different channels.

If your email copy sounds different and has a different message to communicate to your landing page copy, that's not good. I've seen countless of examples where people were too lazy to make sure there is a fit between their copy across different materials... and guess what, they were losing THOUSANDS in revenue.

So be consistent. If you're the guy who helps people solve X problem, then brand yourself that way. And then consistently apply that to all your messaging across all your marketing channels. Over time, you will build a brand, and your brand will help be the STOREHOUSE of trust that will carry you through in the marketplace.

THIS is what will help you stand head and shoulders above the competition and rake the money while they can't figure out what's going on...

This post is already very long... and there's a lot of other stuff to be said about building a reputation and a brand... and that's for the next post. If there will be a next post...

Because here's the thing. I'm only interested in posting this stuff if you guys find it useful and of high value on your journeys to financial independence and wealth.

So if you want to find out more about building a reputation in the next post from me, and how that relates to building trust, then LIKE this post and let me know that this stuff is helpful to you! Your feedback is super important and means a lot to me.

I love teaching others the same principles that have brought me to the GOLD, and it is always super encouraging to have your support!

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Because here's the thing. I'm only interested in posting this stuff if you guys find it useful and of high value on your journeys to financial independence and wealth.

So if you want to find out more about building a reputation in the next post from me, and how that relates to building trust, then LIKE this post and let me know that this stuff is helpful to you! Your feedback is super important and means a lot to me.

Yes, please continue. I would love to hear your thoughts on building a reputation.

One question : let's say I'm selling something that doesn't cost much, such as my own brand of herbs / spices / soaps. Let's assume the product costs $14 each and my company is one that no one has heard of (no social proof, no reviews, no trust, no testimonials, pathetic social media followers etc.)

In such a case, to build trust, my lead magnet would likely be something like a discount code which I offer to first-time buyers. With regards to the amount of discount, in your opinion, psychologically, will a 25% off a $14 product VS 50% off a $14 would have any significant difference to buyers who have zero trust in me?

Thanks for all your posts. :)

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
One question : let's say I'm selling something that doesn't cost much, such as my own brand of herbs / spices / soaps. Let's assume the product costs $14 each and my company is one that no one has heard of (no social proof, no reviews, no trust, no testimonials, pathetic social media followers etc.)

In such a case, to build trust, my lead magnet would likely be something like a discount code which I offer to first-time buyers. With regards to the amount of discount, in your opinion, psychologically, will a 25% off a $14 product VS 50% off a $14 would have any significant difference to buyers who have zero trust in me?
Instead of a discount for the soaps, why don't you do something like buy one, get one free? That's effectively a 50% discount, and it's a better deal since they can gift one of those soaps to a friend.

Or you can try to give a free sample in exchange for a review/testimonial. That way you can quickly stack up 5-15 testimonials.

If you really want to give a discount, I would make it such that the product costs $9 (or even $9.99 if you're greedy) when discounted, if at all possible (round about a 35% discount). Being in the single digits will really minimize the risk in their mind.

These are some ideas for you to try, it is impossible to say which will work best without testing it. It also depends on your particular niche that you're aiming these products at. Are you aiming at wealthy people? Poor people? What sort of problems/needs do they have that your product will take care of? Answering these questions can also help indicate which strategy may be best.

Anyway, I think your strategy when you're starting out should be to do whatever it takes to get those initial testimonials, reviews and social proof. That will help you build trust with your customers and will make future sales much easier. The first sale is always the hardest :)

Hope this helps @Xeon

Yes, please continue. I would love to hear your thoughts on building a reputation.
Thanks for the encouragement. Means a lot :)

Last edited:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Instead of a discount for the soaps, why don't you do something like buy one, get one free? That's effectively a 50% discount, and it's a better deal since they can gift one of those soaps to a friend.

Or you can try to give a free sample in exchange for a review/testimonial. That way you can quickly stack up 5-15 testimonials.

If you really want to give a discount, I would make it such that the product costs $9 (or even $9.99 if you're greedy) when discounted, if at all possible (round about a 35% discount). Being in the single digits will really minimize the risk in their mind.

These are some ideas for you to try, it is impossible to say which will work best without testing it. It also depends on your particular niche that you're aiming these products at. Are you aiming at wealthy people? Poor people? What sort of problems/needs do they have that your product will take care of? Answering these questions can also help indicate which strategy may be best.

Anyway, I think your strategy when you're starting out should be to do whatever it takes to get those initial testimonials, reviews and social proof. That will help you build trust with your customers and will make future sales much easier. The first sale is always the hardest :)

Hope this helps @Xeon

Thanks for the encouragement. Means a lot :)

Thanks a lot! :)

JSpanners

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 28, 2019
Good post, but I think there's more to it than trust being 90% of the deal.

You can build all the incremental trust in the world - you'll still struggle to sell the brooklyn bridge for $10,000 to someone that trusts you.

And if you're a drug dealer, you won't have a problem selling your product to a complete stranger that doesn't trust you at all, so long as they want what you're selling.

Perhaps, but among all the drug dealers, you'd probably go to the one you can trust even if the product isn't that good, rather than go scouting around for some random guy in a corner

Hammadou

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 20, 2019
You've tried Facebook/Google ads. You've tried Upwork. You've tried eCommerce. You've tried other side gigs. You've tried freelancing... And you aren't making the money you know you deserve, even after a year or more of trying to provide VALUE... You keep reading stuff, you've read MJ's books, you're hanging around this forum and others, but no dice.

Does that sound like you?

Have you ever STOPPED to ask why that is happening to you? Why is it that you're not getting paid as much as you deserve? Why is it that OTHERS are always making the $$$ and you're on the sidelines?

They say EXECUTION is king. Surely it is... but BAD execution won't get you to the promised land, I can assure you. You need to EXECUTE on the right thing.

Here's a little secret.

There is a group of direct response marketers online who are consistently making BIG BUCKS. And they are doing so because they know how to use (and sometimes abuse) the human mind.

These guys aren't always selling products that are the best... (although, to let you in on another secret, it's easy to have the best product when you're making the most money :) )... and yet, they are outselling everyone else.

How do I know?

I've built a 6-figure direct response agency. I've worked for many of those guys. I know what they know.

They understand the economic game. And until you start understanding how TRANSACTIONS work - WHY someone hands over their money - you will not make a living online.

So here's the BIG SECRET that can help you get started the SMART way:

The Foundation Of All Economic Transactions Is TRUST... People Give Money To People They TRUST... And They Hold It Away From People They Don't Trust

Why the 100% Money Back Guarantee? It builds trust.
Why do they say you have to believe in your product? If you don't believe, how do you expect others to TRUST you?
Why the FREE Lead Magnets? (provide value to gain trust).
Why do so many people here tell you to provide value? (to gain trust)
Why bother with testimonials? (gain trust)
Why bother with social proof? (gain trust)
Why bother with reciprocity? (gain trust)
Why SALES FUNNELS? (incrementally provide value to build more trust to be able to provide even MORE value)

So that's what it's all about...

90% OF DIRECT RESPONSE MARKETING IS ABOUT BUILDING TRUST
The other 10% is scarcity and the other fancy stuff that solicit an immediate response.

Because here's the deal... You may be hitting the market with HUGE VALUE. But people don't trust you.

And lack of trust = lack of sales.

So if you get stuck thinking that your problem is NOT ENOUGH value, you're never going to make it. The fact is most people provide more value than they are aware of.

And if YOU don't become conscious of your value, no one else will.

Let me ask you a question. If I'm trying to sell you right now a sales funnel for $15,000, are you gonna flip out your wallet and pay me?

No?

But I've built multiple 6-figure funnels... So I CAN provide that value to you.

So why won't you pay?

You don't have money... Good excuse. Why don't you go and ask all your friends and relative and the bank to loan it to you? With the 6-figure sales funnel I make for you, you'll make it 10x times back...

So lack of money isn't the reason for not paying me.

Why then?

Is it because you don't trust me?

Right. That's it.

So selling, especially when it comes to higher ticket items is 100% about trust. NOT about value. Value is needed just to build trust and provide a REASON for people to part with their money.

But if you start out with HUGE value... you won't close any sales just like that. You need to build trust first. And you build trust by providing value INCREMENTALLY.

So, if you want to start making BIG MONEY ONLINE, here's what you should do next.

Build a PROCESS of incrementally providing value to gain trust. And THEN provide more and more value (at higher prices). That's how I've done it. That's how the guys I work for have done it. That's how YOU can do it too.

If you do that, it won't be long until people will be ready to flip out their wallets and pay you $15K too.

Maybe you're asking why should you trust me on this? Well, don't. After all, I'm just a random dude on the internet, you don't know much about me, nor about my company. So the fact this stuff is coming from me, means nothing for you. Cool.

Because here's the thing. You don't need to trust me to take this information and START APPLYING IT to your own situation.

The results will speak for themselves.
That’s perfectly correct because am ready to buy from someone whom i trust a thousand times even though what I buy is not 100% authentic. Trust is life

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
This thread, in so far as copywriting is concerned, is continued here:

Think Expand

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Oct 30, 2019
I would say its closely related to trust but slightly different - its certainty.

I can trust X person but that doesn't make them qualified to help me.
But if I trust X person and I am certain they can help me that changes the game.

I trust my mum but I wouldn't give her 15k to make me a sales funnel.

I don't mean to take from your thread as it is useful advice but its missing that extra part I feel.

Its need to be trust, but trust based on the certainty of a desired result or emotion.
You've just hit it on the nail!

banjoa

Present
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
May 7, 2017
Nigeria
Again not to sidetrack this thread but the 90% trust thing is off.

Trust is needed, of course, but at a certain level there are going to be various people they can trust.

If you go to book a hotel or get a tattoo you might find dozens of five star review options.

The person who will win the sale was the one the buyer felt most certain about. Certain that the particular service or product was the best fit for them - personally.

If you backwards engineer what made most people go ahead with a tricky buying decision it’s going to come down to they could logically trust this person but they felt both emotional and logically certain it was right for them.

I just think the 90% trust thing is over simplifying things.

I’m going with FOX.

Here’s a concept I learned recently.

Chain of beliefs.

This refers to the belief that a prospect needs to belief, agree and realize in advance before they can buy your product.

Without these beliefs in place, nothing you offer in terms of features, benefits, deals or bonuses is going to have an impact.

Say you are a sales funnel builder.

I subscribe to your newsletter.

You send me regular ‘value bomb’ emails.

After a couple of these emails, my trust for you is through the roof.

I see you know your stuff too.

You can offer me your sales funnel services and I might still not pull the trigger if you don’t address my chain of beliefs.

Chain of belief 1:

Do I really need this sales funnel thingy he is selling?

Chain of belief 2:

Can I maintain it on my own after he builds it?

Chain of belief 3

Has it worked for a business like mine?

Chain of belief 4

His is price the going market rate?

Chain of belief 5

Do I have to pay for additional setup to make it all work?

Stack all these together and see why I might not pull the trigger even when I trust you and your expertise.

This is where people get the content game wrong.

If you are selling funnels Don’t send me content like:

‘7 email sequences to incorporate into your email marketing.’

This doesn’t address any of my chain of beliefs.

But this is the type of content people push out all in the name of ‘FREE’ game. Value this. Value that.

This isn’t value. It’s useless content.

Send me content like:

‘Why and how email funnels can work for offline small businesses.’

‘How California flowers, a local florist shop, made 1 million using this 2 email funnels.’

‘How to maintain an email funnel with Convertkit even if you a tech noob’

‘Substack and MailCheat(Chimp) is the tech stack you need to run your email funnel empire and it’s FREE’

You see how the above content addresses my chain of beliefs?

You see how I’m more likely to buy your email funnel services after devouring all that content?

Chain of beliefs.

Nobody talks about this.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!