The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

HOT TOPIC You copywriters are being replaced by AI..

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Saying that a machine can replace a human in copywriting is like saying that a McDonalds cook is going to replace a chef at a five-star restaurant.

A machine could write serviceable copy, but it can't write great copy.

Great copy is based on a Big Idea. Machines can't create a Big Idea.

Big Ideas require creativity. Big Ideas require new connections.

AI can replace average copywriters, but they can't replace replace great copywriters.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Saying that a machine can replace a human in copywriting is like saying that a McDonalds cook is going to replace a chef at a five-star restaurant.
You're making the wrong comparison.

A better one would be saying that a robot can replace a chef at a five-star restaurant:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKCVol2iWcc

Maybe they can't at an extremely high and consistent level yet, but they will.

AI will never learn human empathy -- which is at the core of great copywriting.
Yeah they can.

They run a bunch of statistics on what works and what doesn't, and then utilize the techniques/words/etc that work. They can be a lot more effective than humans.

I would hypothesize that it will replace about 90% of copywriters. I think it will work for the average business, but not for a business that is aiming to be great.
This to start.

You guys are underestimating the power of AI. On a long enough timeline, AI will always beat out humans. I would predict that the timeline for top copywriting is over 20 years, however, it will happen.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows from Dreams
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
Oklahoma

Sure, it may reach some superficial levels and slap up a bunch of 'power words' to form some basic selling points, but it will never probe into the deeper underlying reasons of why people buy.

And hence my indifference to potential scares like these.
This is the most common argument people make after it has been proven that AI can write copy. But what you're describing, empathy, doesn't have to be understood to be learned or practiced as many serial killers can attest to.

The next argument is that even if AI can feign empathy, it will never be able to replicate creativity. The argument goes deeper and deeper and keeps going each time another anti-AI position is proven incorrect.

I don't think copywriters need to worry about AI anytime soon. Especially not creative copywriters, since creativity is subjective, and even if AI can create its own works of art, that doesn't mean everyone will like them.

AI will eventually be capable of anything a human is capable of, and far more than we are currently capable of in time. Assuming AI does not stop progressing, then this will happen. It isn't a matter of "if" but "when." We just don't know when that will be outside of current predictions.

Bekit

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 13, 2018
Yeah. It's like saying that e-commerce will take away the job of top sales reps.

Just because a computer can sell products doesn't mean that there's no place left in the marketplace for a person who is skilled at closing deals.

Copywriting is salesmanship in print.

If AI is creating (and tweaking and iterating on) product descriptions, headlines, and other formulaic elements of copywriting, good. That stuff is boring for a real person to do anyway.

But when somebody needs to write words that sell, it will be a very long time before AI can match the work of top copywriters.

CareCPA

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I would hypothesize that it will replace about 90% of copywriters. I think it will work for the average business, but not for a business that is aiming to be great.

I would kindly suggest that in the copywriting field, just like most professions, the majority of people have picked up a couple tips and tricks, and use them over and over again. Very few are doing the kind of digging that a "great" copywriter will do to uncover true motivations.

OP
OP
csalvato

csalvato

Platinum Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
The Luddite-ish arguments here are clouding some people's better judgement, I think. You sound like truck or cab drivers complaining about autonomous vehicles.

"It's all about the human connection to my passengers, man!"

According to JP Morgan's CMO, at least one core engagement metric (click throughs) has increased by 450%.

Most of corporate copywriting is having an eye for headlines, and headlines drive most engagement.

If psychotherapy can be done by an AI, then copy absolutely can be...and both already are.

In the years to come, the opportunity is finding great applications of copy-writing robots now (i.e. great products), not the copy itself.

PizzaOnTheRoof

1,000 Miles To Go
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Just snagged WrittenByAHuman.com

See you guys in 20 years when it’s cool to be human again.

Lex DeVille

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
Oklahoma
Waiting on your next course -- 'How to Use Y.O.U. Focus to Crush Evil Copy Terminators' :)
Ha! I'm smarter than that. The next course will be "How to switch skills before AI takes your job!"

Same reason my most recent course was on how to find clients beyond Upwork! ;)

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

csalvato

Platinum Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West

Writing copy is driven by common language elements and metrics that can be measured...a perfect task for AI, and at least 250 big companies are replacing copywriters with computers.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

D.Navi

Bronze Contributor
Aug 26, 2016

Sure, it may reach some superficial levels and slap up a bunch of 'power words' to form some basic selling points, but it will never probe into the deeper underlying reasons of why people buy.

And hence my indifference to potential scares like these.

OP
OP
csalvato

csalvato

Platinum Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
For sure its going to get there one day, but if I were a writer I wouldn't be worried that I would be replaced in my lifetime.
I think this is a mistake.

I think everyone should be considering a very real future where computers do their jobs. Even highly skilled jobs like software development are being pursued by AI companies by analyzing all public GitHub contributions, for example.

The truth is, anything can be automated/done by a computer. The real challenge with AI is acquiring enough data for the model. But we each are generating billions of data points each year on the most important and valuable things we do, and giving that away for free.

It's just a matter of time. We all need to be considering contingency plans.

Lex DeVille

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
Oklahoma
I think this is a mistake.

I think everyone should be considering a very real future where computers do their jobs. Even highly skilled jobs like software development are being pursued by AI companies by analyzing all public GitHub contributions, for example.

The truth is, anything can be automated/done by a computer. The real challenge with AI is acquiring enough data for the model. But we each are generating billions of data points each year on the most important and valuable things we do, and giving that away for free.

It's just a matter of time. We all need to be considering contingency plans.
What's funny is the contingency plan might be to do what we love. AI replaces the workforce, overhead drops, cost of living lowers, and we're freed up from working so hard to make ends meet.

This is speculation, but assuming things go that route, and I'm average Joe out of work (but not struggling for money) then I turn to hobbies, passions, exploration, creation to fill my time. I assume others would do the same. They wouldn't just sit around and wait to die (some might).

Coaching will be even more popular as this happens since we'll seek teachers and mentors to help us learn new skills that we didn't have time for before. We may turn to AI for some of this as well, but many people will still fear AI and will seek the human connection.

Creativity will probably be replicated at some point. The last safe haven seems like it could be individual creativity. Unless AI can somehow form my ideas and create them before I'm capable of doing so.

Beyond that, it will be beneficial to own AI brands, but who knows how long that can last once we start questioning ethics in regards to machines.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
We may turn to AI for some of this as well, but many people will still fear AI and will seek the human connection.
This brought to my mind public speaking. I cannot see AI ever being able to read an audience, or stir the emotions, prompting people to act now! The human connection is essential in that case.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is AI never going to replace conversation?

Walter

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
If you really understand the enormous power of the human mind, you'd understand that we aren't even remotely close to replicating it.
I don't believe any of us understand the enormous power (or potential) of the human mind.
But what we DO know, could eventually be replicated.

Putting a limit on what AI can do is putting a limit on what the human mind can imagine for implementing into AI

We don't know what we don't know. Heck, we sometimes don't know what we do know.

Many even 40 years ago, wouldn't have believed we would be walking around with handheld communications /computer devices today...

Nor cloning, etc

We cannot limit what the human mind can replicate in a machine.

In 2004 Bill Gates said we would eliminate spam in two years

MythOfSisyphus

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Here's an AI generated product description for a skin care product. I had to answer like 5 or 6 things which took like 3 minutes and then it generated this:

"Developed to combat the natural signs of aging, this Glow Serum anti-aging solution is a popular choice to help skin look and feel healthier. Enhance your skin care products with its powerful line of exclusive Serum ingredients. Healthy and effective, this water-based serum is sure to provide the skin with a youthful glow. Wrinkles are often seen as the road map of life. Keeping wrinkles from becoming an atlas is a challenge, but can be achieved with a good skin care routine. "

Not perfect with its flow, but pretty scary. Those last 2 sentences are pretty damn good. I thought for sure it had to be copied from the internet somewhere, but I didn't find anything when googling it.
I've seen much, much worse by real copywriters

Departed

Contributor
Jul 15, 2017
Europe
You're making the wrong comparison.

A better one would be saying that a robot can replace a chef at a five-star restaurant:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKCVol2iWcc

Maybe they can't at an extremely high and consistent level yet, but they will.

Yeah they can.

They run a bunch of statistics on what works and what doesn't, and then utilize the techniques/words/etc that work. They can be a lot more effective than humans.

This to start.

You guys are underestimating the power of AI. On a long enough timeline, AI will always beat out humans. I would predict that the timeline for top copywriting is over 20 years, however, it will happen.
"They run a bunch of statistics on what works and what doesn't, and then utilize the techniques/words/etc that work. They can be a lot more effective than humans."

This is exactly the point. Imagine doing millions of split tests on a single text. 70% of visitors stop reading around line 4? Change line 4 (in x amount of ways). All learnings from this text can then be applied to other texts and vice versa. With so many possible data points (scroll activity, session time etc.) it can learn 1000x faster than any human and optimize and implement learnings on the fly.

1step

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Maybe I'll just have AI write my posts on here too. I'm sure the posts would captivate you guys and offer value the same way as if I wrote them myself.

Maybe I'll have AI write up anecdotes and stories for me as well.

Hey @MJ DeMarco , why write a book in the first place? You're just going to be replaced by an AI author that can come up with the principles and advice on growing a large and profitable business. No humans needed.

You can program AI to "write" a book. But it offers nothing new. There's nothing really created. The only "ideas" contained within it that make any true creative points have been created by a human and placed there. The rest is a formula being executed. The creative complexity that exists within what is made by people can only be cheaply imitated by a computer as a trick. An illusion.

How is this AI marketing going to be executed in the market realistically? You go to a website and tell it "I'm selling (insert product or service here)" and it spits out some nifty sentences that are written in "marketing language" about whichever industry you're in? Even when human beings write copy, it often comes off as "cheesy" and easily seen through. Could you imagine how bad that would be when written by AI without any context? What a joke. Imagine your favorite blogs and youtube channels being "created" with AI. Imagine how much that would captivate you.

Morons. Time will tell. Technology augments humanity. That's why we have spellchecker and text prediction software. It will always be about people. It will always be about us. It will always be created by us. It will always come from our own minds and hearts. We will use technology but it will always be us using it.

I could write 15 pages on why this idea is bullshit. It's just a headline to you and that's the depth that you think about it. "Yeah, AI and stuff. It's the future. Here's some sentences a computer made. It's the future...blah blah blah". Is your brain that simple?
One day (not too far in the future) you’ll look back at these posts and laugh

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 16, 2014
When I look at ML (I hate how the term AI is being used because there is no intelligence, it’s just learned things from huge datasets), the real true value will come when it can create individualized copy for each and every person.

Dynamic copy as it where. The ML algorithm follows you around the internet, watches everything you do. Then based on YOU generates copy that is more likely to trigger you.

When I look at things like AI/ML I don’t ask how can this replace what a human does.

I’m asking, what and how can this do things that a human is incapable of. Dynamic copy would be an example of this.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Here's an AI generated product description for a skin care product. I had to answer like 5 or 6 things which took like 3 minutes and then it generated this:

"Developed to combat the natural signs of aging, this Glow Serum anti-aging solution is a popular choice to help skin look and feel healthier. Enhance your skin care products with its powerful line of exclusive Serum ingredients. Healthy and effective, this water-based serum is sure to provide the skin with a youthful glow. Wrinkles are often seen as the road map of life. Keeping wrinkles from becoming an atlas is a challenge, but can be achieved with a good skin care routine. "

Not perfect with its flow, but pretty scary. Those last 2 sentences are pretty damn good. I thought for sure it had to be copied from the internet somewhere, but I didn't find anything when googling it.

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Your video just shows that a robot can cook food.

I can teach a McDonalds cook to cook food at a five-star restaurant.

What I can't teach the cook is how to create new recipes.

It's the creativity of the chef and the uniqueness of the dishes that make the restaurant five-stars.

There are people out there that can make a replica of a Mona Lisa. An AI can make a replica of a Mona Lisa too.

But, neither could have created the original.
You're way overestimating how much people care about "creativity".

If the robot can make me a perfect steak every single time, then I'm going to get a steak from that robot every single time when I want steak -- especially when it's cheaper and better than all the alternatives.

And yeah, you can teach it to create new recipes.

DATA POINTS: This guy likes the following foods. Individuals that like these foods like these tastes. These tastes are derived from these ingredients. These are the individual's dietary goals (parameters). This guy wants the food to look nice because he wants to take a picture for Instagram. These are the colors that should be used for most likes on Instagram. This is how I should arrange the food.

Then beep boop boop, and you have a new dish.

We're not there yet, but we will be, and in our lifetimes for sure.

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Saying that the content human beings create is going to be replaced by AI is just stupid and incorrect.
Oh man are you guys in for a rude awakening

Johnny boy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Maybe I'll just have AI write my posts on here too. I'm sure the posts would captivate you guys and offer value the same way as if I wrote them myself.

Maybe I'll have AI write up anecdotes and stories for me as well.

Hey @MJ DeMarco , why write a book in the first place? You're just going to be replaced by an AI author that can come up with the principles and advice on growing a large and profitable business. No humans needed.

You can program AI to "write" a book. But it offers nothing new. There's nothing really created. The only "ideas" contained within it that make any true creative points have been created by a human and placed there. The rest is a formula being executed. The creative complexity that exists within what is made by people can only be cheaply imitated by a computer as a trick. An illusion.

How is this AI marketing going to be executed in the market realistically? You go to a website and tell it "I'm selling (insert product or service here)" and it spits out some nifty sentences that are written in "marketing language" about whichever industry you're in? Even when human beings write copy, it often comes off as "cheesy" and easily seen through. Could you imagine how bad that would be when written by AI without any context? What a joke. Imagine your favorite blogs and youtube channels being "created" with AI. Imagine how much that would captivate you.

Morons. Time will tell. Technology augments humanity. That's why we have spellchecker and text prediction software. It will always be about people. It will always be about us. It will always be created by us. It will always come from our own minds and hearts. We will use technology but it will always be us using it.

I could write 15 pages on why this idea is bullshit. It's just a headline to you and that's the depth that you think about it. "Yeah, AI and stuff. It's the future. Here's some sentences a computer made. It's the future...blah blah blah". Is your brain that simple?

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2019
No big deal. Guys like Elon are going to invent some way to fuse humans with AI.

THAT will be the game changer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom