The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You are the average of your 5 closest friends... (Really?!)

Topics relating to managing people and relationships
D

Deleted74738

Hello everyone!
Today I want to bring to your attention a concept repeated by different Gurus, Entrepreneurs and philanthropists around the world.

I have heard this statement repeated by many millionaires and billionaires in various biographies, videos and interviews.

The concept is also the title of this post.

You are the average of your 5 closest friends

But what is this concept based on?

I wanted to analyze this concept by taking some people as an example:

- Myself
- A "RICH" person (More than 1 billion of assets)
- A "POOR" person (Less than 1000 $ of assets)

Myself
Ineffetti fall within the average of my five closest friends in terms of lifestyle and heritage.

Young, without much money, not famous. Normal 20 year old boys.

But there are substantial differences from my closest friends.

I study many books about entrepreneurship, skills, sales, marketing etc ... I work many hours while they still study at university.

We have very different lives, with completely different ambitions and perspectives.

For example, I'm the only one of my friends who read "Fastlane" and "Unscripted " (and I'm proud to have read them)

Actually, however, I return to the average of them.
One point for the concept.

A "RICH" Person
The person I have taken as an example, as written in his biography, visits few people, usually his family, the managers of his company and some friends with whom he has a special feeling.

His entire family and the people around him are usually wealthy too.
Two point for the concept.

A "POOR" Person
The person I took as an example lives in a city where average wealth is very low.

More than his five closest friends are average. The whole city falls within the average range.

Is it a coincidence?
Two and a half points for the concept.

So...
If the concept is therefore truth. I have to find 4 other new close friends if I don't want to find myself in a habit that does not fit my goals.

What do you think of this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
It mostly depends on how you spend your time with them. If you respect and trust the advice of those people, you can choose to let them influence you.

I consider myself a person with a strong mindset. I haven't found those 5 people yet, and they will change as you progress in your career. If you can find them, great! I am learning from "virtual mentors" that share the right information. I assume you don't have toxic relationships.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
The concept is taken from a bible verse. “As iron sharpens iron, so man sharpens man.”

We change ourselves to resemble the people whom we admire. When you admire your friends you adapt to become more like them. If you don’t admire any of their traits, why are you friends with them at all?

Ahash31

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Nov 13, 2019
Yes it’s important to search out new people in your life especially those who are already where you want to me. There is also the concept of not just your closest 5 friends but the 5 people whom you most spend time with. Perhaps that means a parent, a boss, a co-worker. Somebody that you dont consider a close friend but still spend 8hrs on any particular day around. Those people will and can rub off on you if you are not very strong willed. You might find it useful to track the cumulative amount of time spent talking or interacting with ALL the people in your life in a given week. You might be surprised the results. If you notice on that list there is nobody spectacular like a mentor or highly driven successful peer then it’s time to start putting yourself out there. 1 of my mentors, a really amazing world class musician & author among other things Was found from cold calling over the internet after researching, another mentor of mine, multi millionaire real estate investor and property manager was a warm call, a friend of a friend who I asked if he would introduce me and I could take him out to

Remember reading books is good and ok but taking action is what really counts. Many equate reading = taking action but many times it’s a method of procrastination. Intellectual knowledge gained from reading is no substitute for direct real life / world experience. If you were building a dream team would you rather the person who has read 1000 books but no experience or the person who has done 1000 deals successfully but hasn’t read more than 5 books in their entire life. The answer should be clear.

Put yourself out there and make your own opportunities and dreams happen .Get rid of that fear of judgement !! Best of luck

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DayIFly

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 16, 2012
People bond over the same interests or activities, i.e. they spend time together. When your interests change, you start spending less time with them and the friendships fizzle out. Maybe you stay in touch reminiscing about the past. At this point you find new people that share your interests. If you are forced to spend the majority of your time with people that have nothing in common with you, then obviously you won't share thoughts and ideas that could be beneficial.

I don't know about the number five though, most people have maybe one or two close friends. It has probably some esoteric meaning or something like that. Let me google that... here we go:
"The esoteric meaning of the number five is that the five expresses the idea of the “perfect man” with developed will, able to put yourself in the center of the cross of the elements and to manage them. "

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.