The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Yes or no to clickbait copy?

Marketing, social media, advertising

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
What do you guys think? On the one hand, might as well do it if it works right? But on the other hand, it may not be ethical & the quality per click may be lower. It's also kinda annoying to read.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
No. But then I buy visitors and need to get positive ROI for clients. Click-bait brings in people less likely to buy.

Tip: don't call it "quality per click". Don't even call them clicks. They're visitors - real life people with dreams, hopes, and fears.

This thread might help you:

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say yes. In my opinion, it's very effective. Look at YouTube for instance. Some youtubers use clickbait for more views (obviously).

Here's a nice one. I know you're tempted:

2u3wk5y.jpg

(For illustration purposes)

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
The strength of a good ad is not judged by how many people are pulled in the first round.
The true strength is rated by how many people agree that the message is true and proceed to buy over, and over, and over again even should the copy be altered in the future.

The copy title represents your promise to your customers.
The copy represents perceived value (UNSCRIPTED ). It must match with actual value, your product offerings. You must solve the problem as you have promised, or even better.
At best, you can say that writing copy INCREASES impact and range of actual value of your products.

So go ahead, go clickbait as long as you can offer rightfully as advertised!

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
Really depends on what you're using it for. If you just want eyeballs, then sure click bait is good as long as it has some relevance to the content itself. If you continually click bait every title every time you'll turn into buzzfeed...which I guess isn't so bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
It's not even about ethics, if you're selling something then you're going to want to pre-qualify visitors with your ad, otherwise you'll get more unqualified people who are just curious.

The clicks will be cheaper because your CTR will be higher, but it'll also take more clicks before you get a sale, so you'll have to find the sweet spot for optimal CTR/CVR. That being said, a lot of the clickbait you see is used by companies who make money on clicks (arbitrage), not sales, so it makes perfect sense for them to do it.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
What do you guys think? On the one hand, might as well do it if it works right? But on the other hand, it may not be ethical & the quality per click may be lower. It's also kinda annoying to read.

Maybe this is a harsh question...

but do you have anything to sell?

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I think the only problem with click bait is feeling let down by the unfulfilled promise of the bait. If you can actually deliver on the promise of your link copy then it's probably the best way to get people to click but you have to deliver what they expected or you'll just get angry people on your website and if you allow comments or care about your reputation or doing good in this world you'll hear about it and do more damage than good.

Clickbait is just a great headline that doesn't deliver. If it takes you to a page that has the fascinating information promised in the headline then it's just a great headline. Clickbait (to me) is just a great headline that leads me to crap, wastes my time and does harm by lifting then dashing my hopes and that pisses me off more than many things. If I feel let down by the headline - it's clickbait otherwise it's just a good headline.

Clickbait is neither good or bad but that content makes it so. (apologies to Billy Shakespeare for bastardising his words)

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Yes, I am selling a 12.5 million dollar product that effectively guarantees half a million in passive income for the rest of your life

https://bostonrealestate.investments/

Gotcha

There's a much bigger conversation to be had here but if you are pitching it as an investment, this falls under SEC regulations and you have to adhere to certain protocol. Click-baity title or not, it's illegal to market it to the general public.

Now if I remember my details right if you just list it on the MLS and advertise it as a "cash flowing property" I still think it falls under FTC regulation. @Red can probably give more detail here...

But I know you sure as hell can't advertise it like that without government potentially suing you for millions and/or possible jail time.

Source: I have been a marketer for a long time. 2 friends sued by FTC, 1 acquaintance completely shut down by SEC. Moral of the story: know the guidelines and be careful what claims you're making in your advertising -- especially to non-qualified investors here in the states.

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
If you have questions of "quality" and "ethical" in your marketing strategy you're approaching it very wrong.

In the financial industry trust will be a huge asset for you. Don't start out a relationship by misleading right out of the gate.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
@Red can probably give more detail here...

Yes, I am selling a 12.5 million dollar product that effectively guarantees half a million in passive income for the rest of your life

While I can't speak for the state of Massachusetts, I do know that AZ has fairly lax real estate regulations/laws compared to many other states & that website above would get you shut down with a quickness here. It's slightly different if you are the owner of the property (and even if you are the owner, not displaying contact information or disclosing your ownership will draw investigation). If you're a party trying to sell it for the owner, I'm 99.998% sure you have to be licensed in your state (assuming it's also the state the property is located and any state you're marketing it in -yep, even there). It's a very big read flag not having the listing Brokerage's name & contact prominently displayed -this will typically get you fined, at best. If you are licensed in your state, do not pass go until you have a lengthy talk with your broker on how to do this legally.

Forget worrying about clickbait at this point, you really need to do your homework & talk to some professionals about how to keep within the letter of the law, both in your state & with the FTC.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.