The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Yes, another Habit App

Jonster

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 24, 2017
Bristol, United Kingdom
Hi all,

There are thousands of these apps out there, in an industry which is competitive and has a low barrier to entry.

So why is this one different?
the main USP for this is app is simply:
You go to the gym or achieve another measurable habit you want to form. If you achieve a streak, we will plant a tree (or more, this sort of detail hasn't been decided).

I have a vision for the app to become a game aswell, where you can build a forest, garden or whatever, based on the effort that you put into your habit. This way you can be instantly rewarded for your hardwork, and literally see the difference you are making.

Whats the need? the pain point?
In my own experience of habit apps, I find they are difficult to stick with. just using the app has to become a habit itself. I believe that this is down to a lack of reward, or incentive to use the app in the first place. Having a charitable cause or game-like reward could change that.
If you are aware of the app Habitica, and the search engine Ecosia, then this idea is a combination of the two.

Business model is likely to be ads or premium version, TBD.

As always with these kinds of threads, any feedback is greatly appreciated, I will do my best to reply to questions aswell.

--Jon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jonster

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 24, 2017
Bristol, United Kingdom
Can you give a strong individual example of how this would work?

As an MVP:
Person goes to the gym, the app can then tell they're at the gym via GPS, and checks off that day. Once they've completed a streak, say 5 days, the company will donate / do a charitable act on their behalf. Plant a tree being the example i gave above.

I'm not yet sure what the business model would be, as ads give fairly low revenue, and I am struggling to see a way this could be made premium.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
As an MVP:
Person goes to the gym, the app can then tell they're at the gym via GPS, and checks off that day. Once they've completed a streak, say 5 days, the company will donate / do a charitable act on their behalf. Plant a tree being the example i gave above.

I'm not yet sure what the business model would be, as ads give fairly low revenue, and I am struggling to see a way this could be made premium.

I'm also struggling to see how this would work.

If I may make a suggestion: don't dabble.

If you're serious about this go buy every single habit app there is. Go tear apart every single business model in this market. Really learn and understand the psychology behind someone trying to create a new habit and that segment of that population that are looking for technological solutions to their problem.

I know you're at the very beginning of the idea but unless you're going to become obsessed with this -- ditch it.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
low barrier to entry.

Are you a coder? If not, do you know how much an app like this would cost to develop? Trust me, apps aren't cheap.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Seems very gimmicky. I think this would make a good side project if you're looking to make a little extra cash - but I don't know about any billion-dollar goals here.

That said - I hope you prove me wrong my friend!

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Really learn and understand the psychology behind someone trying to create a new habit

This.

OP - based on what I read behind your words, you don't have that understanding of human behavior that you need in order to develop an app like this. Give yourself a crash course on human behavior training.

The large portion of people are not motivated by reward. It's not until the pain of NOT acting is being felt before they are moved to take action.

If GPS doesn't see them st the gym for 48 hours-> they automatically lose $10 (or whatever).

Listen to Steve - now either go do it or not. The choice is yours.

Jonster

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 24, 2017
Bristol, United Kingdom
Thank you everyone for the feedback,
It's still early days yet and I'm new to all this. I have some other ideas in the pipeline so this helps narrow things down a bit

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
This.

OP - based on what I read behind your words, you don't have that understanding of human behavior that you need in order to develop an app like this. Give yourself a crash course on human behavior training.

The large portion of people are not motivated by reward. It's not until the pain of NOT acting is being felt before they are moved to take action.

If GPS doesn't see them st the gym for 48 hours-> they automatically lose $10 (or whatever).

Listen to Steve - now either go do it or not. The choice is yours.
Come on, $10 is too little!
Money can be earned back....SOCIAL REPUTATION might be more suitable.
Why do companies spend big bucks to keep PR relations? Why do celebrities and top leaders have heated arguments with dissedents and haters on social media, attempting to clean up their reputation? Why are some big shots sueing for defamation at high profile court cases?

Why did Richard Branson take the British Airways to court when the airline rival tried to take his company's reputation to the dirt?

To protect reputation! A good name!

Here's a tip.

Instead of cash, how about enabling the gym app to send a 'I am a fat lazy hog' post on all your social media accounts when you skip gym? Or a 'I am a handsome manly buff' post on all your social feeds when you do go to gym?

Rewards aside, fear of social rejection due to your laziness might frighten you into action just as unpaid bills force you to work!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.