The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

YCombinator Startup School

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
I haven't been on in a while, but I wanted to share this with people. Paul Graham's incubator, Y Combinator, is running a free 10-week course on the pragmatics of running a start up. It's called Start Up School, and it's located at Startup School. One of thing I found interesting in the first week's lesson was the financial breakdown of creating a startup versus becoming a late stage employee. The takeaway is that if you're looking to get rich and have control over your life, creating your own business is actually less efficient than joining a late stage startup and 10X'ing it. The key reason to create your own company is because it's something you have to do, something you'll regret not doing later in life.

This is aimed at tech startups, but it's definitely food for thought.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
One of thing I found interesting in the first week's lesson was the financial breakdown of creating a startup versus becoming a late stage employee. The takeaway is that if you're looking to get rich and have control over your life, creating your own business is actually less efficient than joining a late stage startup and 10X'ing it.

I'm curious: how many millionaires have been created through this? What is actually required to join a late stage startup? Do you need an Ivy League education, or connections to recruiters that most people don't have? Do you need specialized skills or experience? Can a 22 year old just go into a late stage startup (which I assume is something like Facebook circa 2010, 2 years before IPO) and start working as a programmer or whatever?

I don't disagree with that statement because I simply don't know shit about the startup world. I'm just curious about how many people that statement actually applies to.

As for the course... it sounds F*cking cool. I may check it out if I have time.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I mean, are we talking a probability game here? You're more likely to make x $'s as late stage vs founder?

If that's the case, sure.

But I think we all know that starting a business has a stupid high failure rate. If we wanted jobs, we'd stay at our jobs.

So while it may make financial sense through probability to get a job...

Tell Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, and Bill Gates they should have worked for a late stage startup instead.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
A

Anon1351z

I listened to Dustin's presentation, here are my thoughts:

Everything he says is through the lens of trying to build a huge company ($100M+ Valuation), hold onto some equity, then cash out via a liquidation event (acquisition or IPO) and take home $10M. I don't think that anyone would argue this is an efficient way of making money, or that it has a high likelihood of success.

He then compares this to joining a $500M company with 0.05% in equity (250K at current value) which from brief research, it looks like you would have to be at least senior manager level to command. Any senior manager position at a healthy startup with that sort of valuation is going to have an impressive background, to say the least.

So assuming you can get the senior manager position, simply take this company from $500M to $20B and you've got your $10M! (The exact example he uses) Though for some reason, he doesn't remotely mention the probability of this happening. From a quick look, it seems that there are less than 10 startups currently valued over $20B, which means your chances probably aren't much better than the first example anyway.

All in all, it sounds like an interesting track. Y Combinator puts out really great content. That said, A LOT of their content is only really relevant to tech startups.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.