The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WP.com or WP.org

thewiz8807

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 23, 2016
Recently been working towards a fastlane project. The project consists of delivering a service and in the future a product via affiliates, etc via my website.

Currently I'm trying to figure out if I should dump my WP.com services (still within the 30 day refund period) and roll with WP.org.

Initially I did my due diligence on which cms/platform to roll with based on the vision I had for my website. Unfortunately I didn't enough because it wasn't until I tried to add some plugins to my website that I realized there's two different forms of WP.

I've been in communication with WordPress Happiness Engineers and they've been helpful, provided tons of useful information and comparisons between WP.org and WP.com

In terms of CENTS/CENTS I'm seeing some hangups with WP.com and maybe WP.org.

WP.com the entry and control factors are worrisome. Ease of use with WP.com makes the entry barrier low and the fact that you can't fully customize your site to your liking is a control issue with me.

On the flip side if I roll with WP.com I have a strong maintenance and security bonus with them as well as backups.

With WP.org, I feel the entry barrier is slightly higher as you sort of "on your own" in a sense and you'll be tinkering with your site and plugins, troubleshooting breaks, etc. This is also a plus for control.

On the flipside, I'm concerned with the security, maintenance and backups.

In the future I would like to incorporate forums and ecommerce into my website. With WP.org I can do this via plugins. With WP.com I would have to incorporate links to other websites for the ecommerce and forums.

Sorry for the long first post guys, this is racking my brain and putting a damper on my progress forward.

Any help is extremely appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
WP.com is just a managed solution for Wordpress while Wordpress.org is just the Wordpress website. Since it seems that you don't know much about the software behind it I would stick with a managed solution unless you're willing to learn the basics of LAMP. There are tons of guides though that can help you out every step of the way. Yes you do need to update your software from time to time but it's very easy to update the software.

Wordpress software installed on a server you control is much better than what WP.com offers if you know what you're doing.

PurpleMonkey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Aug 17, 2016
I concur with the preference for WordPress.org.

.com is great for easily setting up a blog for someone who is using it casually or for someone who is writing a lot of content. The customisation is okay but limited.

.org gives you the structure of a modern website and an array of tools to make it do pretty much what you want. You can have a basic 5 page site displaying business info and content. Or with plug ins you can add more technical aspects such as booking appointments.

It is mostly clicking and writing. If you are relatively computer savvy you can manage it. You don't need to be a hardcore coder but pretty basic HTML and CSS helps (basically do the first bits of CodeAcademy and you're fine). Saying that there is a wealth of information available on how to do the standard things on the platform. Because of its popularity, there are articles and videos a'plenty. Any problem you encounter, others will have experienced that same and will have written a guide to sort it out.

With .org you need to buy hosting. But once you have this you can use it for this site and any other projects (traffic dependant).

I don't know what the service you will be delivering via the site is, but if its more like as web app (e.g. similar to AirBnb), then other platforms may be more suitable.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.