The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WOW - The Power of the Secret!!

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Okay.

I first watched the secret over a year ago. It immediately resonated with me and I just sort of "knew" it to be true, but never really proactively "used" any of the secret tools - other then the Vision Board.

In the last week, for some reason, I started to think about it again. I got a law of attraction podcast and I was listening to it this morning.

Then, tonight, I was responding to the value of time thread - and thinking about the 4 hour work week. I REALLY want to read the book. As I was thinking this, my husband walked in holding a package in his hand. I immediately recognized it as a book from my library. (I placed it on hold - along with about 10 Margaret Mead books - at my library. They have a program where you can place a book on hold and when it comes in, they will mail it to your home). I opened the package to find.....

THE FOUR HOUR WORK WEEK!!!

:hurray: Poor me some wine honey, and fix dinner, wouldja? I've got some reading to do!!! :hurray:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I just picked up The Secret 15 minutes ago to read on a flight I am taking in the AM!!

I got so much out of The Four Hour Work Week.

Enjoy!

Sue

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
I wish my library would mail the books to me!

I had a similar experience right after I finished The Secret. We were in LA for a tradeshow and arrived late one day so our VIP garage was full. We drove to the secondary lots, which were also full. We were about to park in the neighborhood and it was really far and I was wishing we could park closer. My husband decided to try the VIP garage again, and we found a spot next to the back entrance.

Later at 6pm, a group of 5 of us wanted to grab dinner but needed to stay close since we were catching a show. Driving was out of the question and Morton's and Ruth's Chris were in walking distance. I called Ruth's Chris and was told they had no space until 9pm. We walked into Morton's and it was packed and I wished that we would have a table for 5 quickly. All the tables were full except for this family of 4 at the bar area that was JUST leaving. We got the table and grabbed another chair and were seated in 5 minutes.

At dinner, I was worried about a friend of ours being able to afford dinner and hoped there would be something he could afford on the menu. I excused myself to use the ladies' room and saw an ad for $4 appetizers in the bar area until 6:30pm! I ran back to our table and told everyone and we were able to get our order in at 6:29pm so our friend was able to have a nice dinner without losing face.

I downloaded an audio versio on The Four Hour Work Week and trying to figure out how I can listen to it from my phone. In the meantime, I've been visiting his blog.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
If you hadn't been thinking good thoughts, do you think the $3100 check wouldn't have been in your mailbox?
Hard to say. It certainly has the markings of a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's not like I stood in front of my mailbox and imagined a check for exactly $3100.

I suppose, it's more like walking around looking for blue things. If that's all you're looking for, I'm sure you'll be amazed by how much blue stuff is out there. The number of blue things hasn't increased, but your awareness of them has.

Look for good things, and you'll see more of them.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
The "secret" journey continues.

A couple of weeks ago, I came across an idea. Decide on a "word for the year." A word that you will keep in mind and intentionally "live by" for a year. I thought on it for a bit and so did hubby. We each finally settled on a word.

Mine is "Create"
My hubby's is "Tranquilo"

The opening story in the Four Hour Work Week is about the author in a Tango competition.

"I whispered an inside joke to Alicia as we stepped on the hardwood platform: 'Tranquilo' "​

Huh. That is not a word you come across every day. We are reading the book aloud to each other. Hubby really got a chuckle out of that one.

THEN.... a little later in the book - is an example of a family cruising (sailing long distances for an extended period of time). This is something we have been kicking around for 3 or 4 years.

Huh. Maybe it is time!

carlhuber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 31, 2008
NY
Isn't a lot of this just called "synchronicity" - a fancy word for meaningful coincidences?

It's very Schroedinger's Cat - as soon as you're aware of it happening it changes the coincidence into you thinking it's not a coincidence. Once it's happened and you realize it, you're aware of it. Now since you've read this book you're choosing to ascribe a "Secret" power to its manifestation. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but if you hadn't read the book you wouldn't have known to ascribe it to that.

I mean Occam's Razor and all that, but restaurants are always running specials on appetizers. This is just the same stuff that happens in your life all the time; your attention is just being called to it. It's good to be aware and thankful of your blessings in life, but I don't personally think that going "I'm going to have a sno cone machine by next week!" is going to make one appear.

I do, however, believe in the psychological power of positive self-actualization, by which I mean creating a positive self image and using that goal as both a motivator and measuring post. Wasn't it Jim Carrey who wrote himself a check for a million dollars back before he was famous and said "some day I'm going to be able to cash this?"...

Just my thoughts and bringing some things up for discussion. Not trying to trounce on anyone's jive.

carlhuber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 31, 2008
NY
An example: A year or so ago we'd done a ton of wine label designs for a particular client. Many first round concepts. Fast forward to this week. This client wants a new label for a new bottle. I don't have time to put any labels in the mix but everyone else in the firm puts in a few. As they're meeting with the client I think to myself "man it would be cool to have another of my designs on a wine bottle" - after the meeting I'm told that the client had pulled one of my designs from last year out of a folder and said "yeah those are nice, but this is what I want."

Options:
1) me jonesing for having a design chosen created it happening even though I didn't put anything in this round
-= or =-
2) when wouldn't I want a design chosen? I always want my designs chosen, even if I'm not participating in projects! (laugh)

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
:banana::banana:First of all, my jive is untrouncable.:banana::banana:​

Isn't a lot of this just called "synchronicity" - a fancy word for meaningful coincidences?

It's very Schroedinger's Cat -

Schroedinger's Cat: The idea that 2 opposing possibilities are both infact real until one materializes. So either it is a meaningful coincidence, or it is the law of attraction... until I make the decision that it is the law of attraction?

I don't see a meaningful coincidence and the law of attraction as opposing possibilities. My personal belief tells me that there is no coincidence. I recognize that other's may believe in coincidence, and I have respect for that view. It is just not my view - - nor is it the experience I have had, time and time again, in my life.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, (the secret) but if you hadn't read the book you wouldn't have known to ascribe it to that.

As I mentioned - and without boring people with the details, I have experienced the "everything happens for a reason" idea time and time again in my life. Had I not read the book, I still would have understood that we are inviting a tranquilo life and that tranquilo life is materializing as a result of the invite. I first became interested in the law of attraction by reading a book called The Dancing Wu Li Masters - a book about quantum physics. I am not a science gal, but this stuff was fascinating to me. I am still coming to grasp the quantum physics behind the law of attraction - and I am fascinated by any discussion about the law of attraction.

It's good to be aware and thankful of your blessings in life....

...I do, however, believe in the psychological power of positive self-actualization...

I whole heartidly agree. And I wonder. What distinction do you make between positive self-actualization and the law of attraction? What are the similarities and differences as you see them?

My jive anxiously awaits your reply!

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
I studied physics, so I'm sort of scientific guy familiar with quantum physics. Quantum physiscs is definetly not about reasons other than cause and effect. And I do think there are coincidents. Lots of them and all of the time. Some are good, some are bad, but the more we concentrate or pay attention to the good ones, we change the rules of the game since we have the ability to multiply positive energy - as well as the negative one! It´s the attitude that makes a difference and maybe the world around us a better place. So even if life and coincidents are (at least in my eyes) random, we have the power to choose the good ones to create a better world. In that sense you really create the world around you. Call it self fulfilling prophecy, law of attraction or whatever, it doesn't matter. My believe is that things don't happen for a reason except for you choosing this reason. So choose wisely.

carlhuber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 31, 2008
NY
Well, I guess here's where I net out: Coincidences exist. If someone says "five" while I'm looking at five of something, I don't think mystical forces are bothering to weave harmony.* And just because I might happen to notice a coincidence when it benefits me does not mean my noticing of it caused it.

As for self-actualization vs. the "law of attraction" the difference is the prime force. In the law of attraction, the hypothesis is (correct me if I'm wrong) that a desire creates a mystical gravity of sorts to create the world you want? Wanting things and waiting for "the Universe" (or whatever you call it) to provide them. Positive self actualization is nothing more than understanding that you're visualizing your goals and you work to achieve them. You are the one doing things.

EDIT: * but I should temper this by saying that in addition to common coincidence, I do also believe in true synchronicity and genuine capital-I Intervention.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
We have a guy in our area who is a psychic of sorts.
http://www.philjordan.com/

He does "Psychic Parties" at peoples' houses, where he does readings for everyone in the group.
He helps people find lost jewelry, predicts births, weddings, etc.
My wife has gone to a couple of these, and says everyone swears by him.

I personally think there are a lot of stretched imaginations at those parties.
"I see a baby in the near future, connected to someone with an "E" in their name. It doesn't turn out well."
Sure enough, my cousin Juli"e" has a friend who bought "Baby"doll pajamas in the wrong size!

The only prediction I remember him telling my wife was that he saw a "White SUV" in her future.
I did buy an SUV, but it isn't white, allthough my last name is (Bob White).
So, technically it is a "White SUV".

(Did you just hear that imagination stretch?)

Last edited:

Andrew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 8, 2007
I started watching The Secret video last year, had my some of my own opinions about it:
http://www.webpublishingblog.com/the-secret-the-law-of-attraction-scam.htm

You can pick out patterns everywhere if you look hard enough. Thats fine, and often useful; believing that the patterns are infallible is not. I'd advise against using superstition to drive your business.

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
To the OP, while I personally do have some belief in the law of attraction, to bring it up on a forum like this is only going to spark debate and argument over whether it is "real" or not. Its almost like starting a thread about whether or not RichDad ever existed. Who cares?

I have watched The Secret several times and I believe in it. But most people I tell think I'm a nut-job for believing in such a thing. It isn't worth the argument.

If it works for you, that's great. It works for me, too. But already there are a couple of negative, it sounds like a scam replies.

Go search the RD forums. It was a pretty strong argument over there.

czach41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 11, 2007
Denver
My moment happened to me before I had seen the secret, however, I was using the principles of the secret without really knowing it.
I am a huge Dave Matthews Band fan; I've seen nine of their shows. My second favorite band is definitely O.A.R.. I was in california walking down a road talking to the people I was with (we were at a counting crows concert) and I was telling the guy next to me how I literally would pay over $1000 to be able to go see DMB play at the Gorge (in Washington State) at the end of summer. It turned out that O.A.R. was opening for Dave all three nights @ the Gorge. I talked on and on about how I would be ecstatic to be able to attend that 3 day show, however, tickets sold out in a few hours.
Fast forward a few months: I am back in Colorado where I now live and go to college. I had moved into my new apartment about a month prior so we didn't know all of our neighbors too well. One weekend night we are having a beer or two in our living room and these three guys walk in our apartment. So we start chatting shooting the shit. Of course Dave comes out of my mouth... turns out one of the guys was also a huge DMB fan. I somehow mentioned about how sick it would be to attend DMB + OAR at the Gorge... and low and behold, not ONLY is he going to that concert, but he has an EXTRA ticket!!!! I couldn't believe it. It literally fell right in my lap.
Best roadtrip I have ever taken in my life, hands down.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
I believe in the law of attraction, but I don't believe in the video that explains it. I think the video is a phony, but there is some merit to the idea of the law of attraction. However, I think it is only *ONE* law, among many laws in this universe. I don't believe that you can just wish for a million bucks and it will come to you. You have to take action and have determination, using the law of attraction as a tool to attract positive circumstances to you.

There is a big difference between having a positive mind frame and wishful thinking.

That's just my 2 cents on the matter. I'm more of a 'see it to believe' kind of guy, but I do believe in having a positive attitude no matter what activity it is that you are doing. By having a positive attitude, you tend to perceive the positive events around you a little more clearly and tend to focus less on the negative.

Sometimes, it's all about your perception of things that changes your world around you.

Reisteve

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 6, 2007
If you want to look at "The Secret" from a more quantum mechanics level, rent "What the Bleep do we know?"

It looks at cause and effect on more of an energy/atomic level....

I loved it...

Steve

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!