The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would Your Business Ever Consider Online Courses?

SamuraiRod

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Oct 29, 2018
Hey Fastlaners,

I'm just a young guy trying to find the best way to bring value to business owners. Currently, I am a freelance copywriter - who just started the journey - and found that I really love helping business owners find ways to increase the people they impact and the money they make.

With that said, I want to venture into online course marketing for businesses.

Basically, if a blogger/consultant/store owner or anything in between wants to have an additional source of income, I would create a course for them that they can market to their audience and profit from indefinitely.

Think software as a service (SaaS) with courses. I plan to consult the business owner on exactly what they would like from their course, do all the heavy lifting (recording, designs, etc.), and present the ready-made product to the owner to market.

I don't see anyone else doing this currently, and do believe there is a strong market for it with the growing trend in the online education space.

That being said, are there any critical flaws in this idea that I am overlooking?

In a perfect world, I get a good amount of clients, charge them monthly to host the course/take a percentage of all profits, scale, and post a wildly successful testimony on here ( and the Reddit thread where I also asked). But then again I pretty much know nothing about what I'm going to be doing.

All in all, I'm just asking for validation and serious critiquing of this idea. I know you guys are busy, but I appreciate any and all feedback that you can give.

Oh, and before anyone asks "Why not just make your own course and market it?":

1.) I haven't a strong audience or ability to build a following around a certain topic yet
2.) I have a lot of fun "creating" as opposed to marketing
3.) I have even more fun helping people make money and want to be a part of the journey for different companies

Thank you again for your time in responding,
Rod

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Val Okafor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 14, 2015
San Diego, CA
That's an original idea and I wish there is a way you can make it work. Your dual enemies are Support and Domain Expertise. After a course is sold, ongoing support comes with the territory, and the business owner who does not have time to create a course sure does not have time to provide support.

Implicit in your business idea is that you have the bandwidth and ability to become a domain expert in any field so you can create a course in that field for any business owner. You are saying you are able to create a course for a fitness instructor, a hair salon owner, a food trucker owner/operator, and a potty training coach. Come one, Come all, you will create a course for them all!. If you can, that is a patentable brain itself.

It appears that you are proposing a variation of Book in Box (now called Scribe Writing) where they take the knowledge from an expert's head and turn it into a book for you. That business model is not solopreneurable nor systemizable. I will suggest you write this business idea down as you have just done and let it simmer in the back of your mind for a couple of months. I don't see the path to the first sale from your description and if you do Goodluck!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey Fastlaners,

I'm just a young guy trying to find the best way to bring value to business owners. Currently, I am a freelance copywriter - who just started the journey - and found that I really love helping business owners find ways to increase the people they impact and the money they make.

With that said, I want to venture into online course marketing for businesses.

Basically, if a blogger/consultant/store owner or anything in between wants to have an additional source of income, I would create a course for them that they can market to their audience and profit from indefinitely.

Think software as a service (SaaS) with courses. I plan to consult the business owner on exactly what they would like from their course, do all the heavy lifting (recording, designs, etc.), and present the ready-made product to the owner to market.

I don't see anyone else doing this currently, and do believe there is a strong market for it with the growing trend in the online education space.

That being said, are there any critical flaws in this idea that I am overlooking?

In a perfect world, I get a good amount of clients, charge them monthly to host the course/take a percentage of all profits, scale, and post a wildly successful testimony on here ( and the Reddit thread where I also asked). But then again I pretty much know nothing about what I'm going to be doing.

All in all, I'm just asking for validation and serious critiquing of this idea. I know you guys are busy, but I appreciate any and all feedback that you can give.

Oh, and before anyone asks "Why not just make your own course and market it?":

1.) I haven't a strong audience or ability to build a following around a certain topic yet
2.) I have a lot of fun "creating" as opposed to marketing
3.) I have even more fun helping people make money and want to be a part of the journey for different companies

Thank you again for your time in responding,
Rod
Interesting. I’ve been thinking of selling more courses but don’t want to be the person always creating them.

Can you start by hosting your courses on Udemy, and let Udemy take care of the marketing for the moment? (Check out @Lex DeVille ‘s excellent Udemy thread on the inside.)

You say you’d rather not do the marketing part, but that involves finding out what people want and what courses they’d pay for.

Personally, I enjoy that part of the process equally (if not more so) as creating the course itself.

Should figuring out what courses people would pay for should be part of your armoury? If it’s not, then would you run the risk of creating courses that wouldn’t sell?

GrandRub

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
courses are a very efficient way of making money .. but many courses especially generic "business" and online marketing related courses often are a bit shady ... many many courses are just repackaged infos with a three or four digit price tag and a sleazy bro marketing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Good idea.