The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would you please tell me what business to start?

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Apparently we are in for another week of numerous threads popping up with people asking what type of business they should go into disguised as "hypothetical situations"

What if you had to start over... What if you were in a new city... If you had $XX what kind of business would you start?

And you might think I'm going to hammer you here but I'd like to actually offer some unsolicited advice on the subject. I say unsolicited because I received some pretty pointed responses when I actually took the time to answer people. It's almost as if people didn't read what I wrote and/or didn't thoroughly understand what I meant before replying.

But before I give you the ultimate answer of "what business to start" -- please let me pre-frame this conversation with a couple of things:

1.) None of us know you. We don't know your life experience, we don't know what you're currently into, we don't know you own an internet business, we don't know you own a B&M business, we don't know you're stuck in a 9-5 -- we don't know you -- and most of the time the people who post these threads give ZERO background. That background is super important to be able to give something other than general advice.

2.) We see through the bullshit. Just be real for once. Nobody cares you're not uber-wealthy. Nobody cares you still have a day-job. Nobody looks down on anyone here for that. If you have a question about a business you want to start -- don't beat around the bush and come up with these "hypothetical mental exercises" -- just STATE YOUR PROBLEM and we can brainstorm ways to fix it! ... that is if you're truly here to fix it and not just get free internet points...

So if you're willing to provide some background and be real let me give some general advice that I've picked up from my time as an entrepreneur and even better advice from people on this forum who I hang around constantly.

A.) Book learning is your start...

Any time you feel lost about what to do or where to go -- it's time to pick up another book. Leaders are readers. I know many of us are voracious readers. Several books per month regardless of how busy we are.

Not sure who else does this but I will RE-READ books when I feel I've "hit the next level" -- it not only re-focuses me but I often find the exact advice I need in the moment... the strange thing is that the same words were there before but I wasn't ready to receive that advice when I first read the book.

I hope that makes sense because MUCH of the advice that people are receiving on the forum today -- they simply are not ready to receive that advice. And you can tell they aren't ready to receive that advice when they say things like "yeah, but..." or "yes I've heard that before..." or "that doesn't apply here..."

** One caveat is people giving that advice out because they read it somewhere but don't truly understand what it means themselves.

B.) ... but getting out into the world is where you'll find your mission.

@biophase is smarter than all of us. We all strive to get an MBA from the KSB (inside joke for summit-attendees).

If you happen to get on his good-side at some point in your life he might share KSB rules. One of which is that ideas are not found sitting on the couch.

You have to get out into the world. You won't find them here on the forum. You'll find ideas for your next business by exploring the world. Hobbies, traveling, meeting people, experiencing new things -- you'll stat to see the world is FILLED with opportunity to start a new business.

In my humble opinion, the forum is not a place to extract ideas from other people -- it's to discuss and grow YOUR ideas with what you want to do in life.

The value in the people who hang around here is that they have VASTLY different experiences than you in business. Not better, not worse -- just different.

If you want to get the most out of this tool your mission should be to bring real specific challenges and problems to the table.

If you do that -- if you explain the background behind it -- if you clearly define the problems you're having -- you're going to have so many people excited to work through it with you and give you ideas to try and strategies to implement that you'll hit the "next level" in no time.

So to answer your question of "which business to start" please, please, please hear me when I say the answer to your question is out THERE.

Educate yourself with the books, and get out into the world and say YES to as many opportunities as possible -- you'll find your answer sooner than you might think.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Thanks @Kung Fu Steve , appreciate this, ya saved me a write up. :)

Haha I'm willing to guess it'll get passed over by the very people who need to read it because it isn't coming from you... so you'll probably have to write it up anyways hahaha :p

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You're notable. ;-)

I only marked it Notable because MJ wouldn't let me mark it

req_reading.jpg

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
but... but... what BUSINESS SHOULD I START, STEVE?!?!?

I'm 34, no skills, bad tempered, uneducated, and a fat lazy slob.

Is that enough background for you? What can you do with that?

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
but... but... what BUSINESS SHOULD I START, STEVE?!?!?

I'm 34, no skills, bad tempered, uneducated, and a fat lazy slob.

Is that enough background for you? What can you do with that?

I'd say Chippendale's dancer.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm going to win the lottery next week. My fortune teller said so, and the stars are aligning perfectly next Monday.

I might win $3M, or it could be $100M (unfortunately the fortune teller couldn't tell which it would be). I'd like to start planning for it, regardless.

I know you said I should find my own path, but this is so much money for me all at once. I want to get it right and not lose it all. What would you suggest I do first?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I'm going to win the lottery next week. My fortune teller said so, and the stars are aligning perfectly next Monday.

I might win $3M, or it could be $100M (unfortunately the fortune teller couldn't tell which it would be). I'd like to start planning for it, regardless.

I know you said I should find my own path, but this is so much money for me all at once. I want to get it right and not lose it all. What would you suggest I do first?

BRO

There's only one way forward.

Take those lotto winnings and let it ride.

Take those millions and buy millions of scratch off tickets. You can hire an army of hobos to help you scratch them.

I r teh entrapenoor

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Apparently we are in for another week of numerous threads popping up with people asking what type of business they should go into disguised as "hypothetical situations"

What if you had to start over... What if you were in a new city... If you had $XX what kind of business would you start?

And you might think I'm going to hammer you here but I'd like to actually offer some unsolicited advice on the subject. I say unsolicited because I received some pretty pointed responses when I actually took the time to answer people. It's almost as if people didn't read what I wrote and/or didn't thoroughly understand what I meant before replying.

But before I give you the ultimate answer of "what business to start" -- please let me pre-frame this conversation with a couple of things:

1.) None of us know you. We don't know your life experience, we don't know what you're currently into, we don't know you own an internet business, we don't know you own a B&M business, we don't know you're stuck in a 9-5 -- we don't know you -- and most of the time the people who post these threads give ZERO background. That background is super important to be able to give something other than general advice.

2.) We see through the bullshit. Just be real for once. Nobody cares you're not uber-wealthy. Nobody cares you still have a day-job. Nobody looks down on anyone here for that. If you have a question about a business you want to start -- don't beat around the bush and come up with these "hypothetical mental exercises" -- just STATE YOUR PROBLEM and we can brainstorm ways to fix it! ... that is if you're truly here to fix it and not just get free internet points...

So if you're willing to provide some background and be real let me give some general advice that I've picked up from my time as an entrepreneur and even better advice from people on this forum who I hang around constantly.

A.) Book learning is your start...

Any time you feel lost about what to do or where to go -- it's time to pick up another book. Leaders are readers. I know many of us are voracious readers. Several books per month regardless of how busy we are.

Not sure who else does this but I will RE-READ books when I feel I've "hit the next level" -- it not only re-focuses me but I often find the exact advice I need in the moment... the strange thing is that the same words were there before but I wasn't ready to receive that advice when I first read the book.

I hope that makes sense because MUCH of the advice that people are receiving on the forum today -- they simply are not ready to receive that advice. And you can tell they aren't ready to receive that advice when they say things like "yeah, but..." or "yes I've heard that before..." or "that doesn't apply here..."

** One caveat is people giving that advice out because they read it somewhere but don't truly understand what it means themselves.

B.) ... but getting out into the world is where you'll find your mission.

@biophase is smarter than all of us. We all strive to get an MBA from the KSB (inside joke for summit-attendees).

If you happen to get on his good-side at some point in your life he might share KSB rules. One of which is that ideas are not found sitting on the couch.

You have to get out into the world. You won't find them here on the forum. You'll find ideas for your next business by exploring the world. Hobbies, traveling, meeting people, experiencing new things -- you'll stat to see the world is FILLED with opportunity to start a new business.

In my humble opinion, the forum is not a place to extract ideas from other people -- it's to discuss and grow YOUR ideas with what you want to do in life.

The value in the people who hang around here is that they have VASTLY different experiences than you in business. Not better, not worse -- just different.

If you want to get the most out of this tool your mission should be to bring real specific challenges and problems to the table.

If you do that -- if you explain the background behind it -- if you clearly define the problems you're having -- you're going to have so many people excited to work through it with you and give you ideas to try and strategies to implement that you'll hit the "next level" in no time.

So to answer your question of "which business to start" please, please, please hear me when I say the answer to your question is out THERE.

Educate yourself with the books, and get out into the world and say YES to as many opportunities as possible -- you'll find your answer sooner than you might think.

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more cowbell ...

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Great thread @Kung Fu Steve, Rep+ :) those 'what would you do if...' threads got a bit annoying lately.

but I wasn't ready to receive that advice when I first read the book.

This also happens to me with threads and posts on here. Yesterday I finally started reading further than the 1st page of the Astonishing Secrets thread, always had that on my 'to watch' list, but somehow I always found myself reading other threads. But when I finally decided to get into it, it happened at the perfect time. I feel like @IceCreamKid changed my whole world with it :) can't express that with words, but somehow his thread found me at the right time in my journey.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I want to add something to the list:

The struggle of finding your path is key. Without the struggle, you won't develop the fortitude to stick with your path till the end. That struggle also brings a kind of clarity you wouldn't otherwise have, too.

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
I want to add something to the list:

The struggle of finding your path is key. Without the struggle, you won't develop the fortitude to stick with your path till the end. That struggle also brings a kind of clarity you wouldn't otherwise have, too.
and humility, once you figure you don't know it all. Great post

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

Chris Keller

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 9, 2016
This is my very first post here, and I would just like to say thank you. Not just to OP, but also to the contributors of this thread. I have dabbled in this forum for the past couple of months on and off, however I have stopped playing games. I've purchased the book already, it's going to take around 5 days to get here. During that time, i'm building up an online currency farm, which should bring in around a modest $50/day within the first week or two. I'm planning to scale this, while working on social media accounts (to promote offers and ultimately promote business ventures of mine). Once again, thank you. I can't really put my gratitude in words, so I will be sharing all of the information that I used to become successful, when I am finally successful.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007