The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would you join an entrepreneurship bootcamp?

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Hey all!

I'm playing with the idea of an entrepreneurship bootcamp.

I want to take a small number of people, help you grow your network, boost your self-confidence in business, and give you some of the skills necessary to reach financial independence.

So now, I turn to you all!

If you joined an entrepreneurship bootcamp, what would you expect to learn? What kind of environment would you expect? What cost would you anticipate?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Not what you are describing.

I believe Appsumo had some type of event kind of like that but they actually helped you launch a business in a week. It seemed quite compelling for the right person. They had proven successful entrepreneurs there, with experience launching businesses quickly & profitably. That was a key selling point.

"Learn skills and networking" sounds like a waste of time & money.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
As a born skeptic, every time I hear the phrase "boot camp" , I find myself writing it off as a money grab designed to entrance sidewalkers much in the way thatmlm schemes use fast paced racy wording to suck you in.

Edited by Vigilante : additional comment deleted. This isn't a frat house.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Not what you are describing.

I believe Appsumo had some type of event kind of like that but they actually helped you launch a business in a week. It seemed quite compelling for the right person. They had proven successful entrepreneurs there, with experience launching businesses quickly & profitably. That was a key selling point.

"Learn skills and networking" sounds like a waste of time & money.
Thanks for taking the time out to reply!

So you would say having proven entrepreneurs there, possibly leading courses is a must?

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
As a born skeptic, every time I hear the phrase "boot camp" , I find myself writing it off as a money grab designed to entrance sidewalkers much in the way thatmlm schemes use fast paced racy wording to suck you in.

The girl in your pic is cute though. If that's you, I have a boot camp I would like to put you through.

So assume the word bootcamp wasn't there, and I'm looking at producing quality, not a quick money grab. What would you expect in terms of content?

And that's my girlfriend. I'll ask you to stay respectful.

Green Destiny

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 19, 2016
Having people who know what they are talking about and have done it themselves is key to these types of events i feel.

I went to an entrepreneurial workshop event once and it was run by some recent University graduate who was just banging through some slides with the usual useless BS we hear so often. I then had to listen to some slowlane lawyer talk about how important intellectual property was and although expensive these services will end up saving you so much money etc etc. Turns out he was partner in an IP firm and touting for business. Another sermon followed by an accountant of the same ilk and then a talk on social media marketing that was one of the most painful experiences of my life.

It was so bad I didn't even stay for the free lunch, made my excuses and left.

If you organise an event with people who actually know what they are talking about and have the results to prove it, I imagine your event may well be more successful.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Having people who know what they are talking about and have done it themselves is key to these types of events i feel.

I went to an entrepreneurial workshop event once and it was run by some recent University graduate who was just banging through some slides with the usual useless BS we here so often. I then had to listen to some slowlane lawyer talk about how important intellectual property was and although expensive these services will end up saving you so much money etc etc. Turns out he was partner in an IP firm and touting for business. Another sermon followed by an accountant of the same ilk and then a talk on social media marketing that was one of the most painful experiences of my life.

It was so bad I didn't even stay for the free lunch, made my excuses and left.

If you organise an event with people who actually know what they are talking about and have the results to prove it, I imagine your event may well be more successful.

This is the plan. I don't know anything, so I won't be presenting but I'm planning to see if I can get some quality speakers on board.

I'm just trying to get a feel for how I should set this up, how many people I should plan for, what type of content people want, etc.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
What has your past success been like?

The Fastlane Summit is a sort of 'bootcamp'. Well, more like a crash course in many facets of entrepreneurship. It's also pretty cheap for what it is.

Hackathons are kinda like bootcamps. Startup Weekend is a popular one.

I don't know who you are. Are you successful? Are you rich? Are you well known? These all factor into whether people will want to go to bootcamps with you.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
What has your past success been like?

The Fastlane Summit is a sort of 'bootcamp'. Well, more like a crash course in many facets of entrepreneurship. It's also pretty cheap for what it is.

Hackathons are kinda like bootcamps. Startup Weekend is a popular one.

I don't know who you are. Are you successful? Are you rich? Are you well known? These all factor into whether people will want to go to bootcamps with you.
No to all three! That's why I don't plan to lead the whole thing, rather just organize it. I'm trying to see what people would want out of a bootcamp so I reach out to the right people.

Green Destiny

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 19, 2016
This is the plan. I don't know anything, so I won't be presenting but I'm planning to see if I can get some quality speakers on board.

I'm just trying to get a feel for how I should set this up, how many people I should plan for, what type of content people want, etc.

Well I would have a specific type of person in mind before I organised this event. Are they people who are looking to start a business, grow a business or as you alluded to yourself looking to network?

I would maybe start from the beginning and for the first event or bootcamp, or whatever you want to call it concentrate on the art of the start. The importance of mindset and of taking action and then maybe a bit on idea validation if you have time. Get some speakers who are real experts in these areas to give a brief talk with plenty of time for a Q&A session after each talk. At the end of it have a bit of time for a few drinks so all the speakers and guests have a chance to talk and meet each other and then mention what you are going to be doing at the next event.

This is the kind of event I would have liked to have attended. If you can attract some quality speakers, people will pay a decent price for such an event. If they feel it will be valuable they will pay good money and if you deliver or hopefully exceed their expectations with the first event then getting them to pay for the second will be much easier. If the speakers are nobodies who've done nothing and who no-one cares what they have to say, then no-one will hand over money for this, not even a free lunch would get people to turn up.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
No to all three! That's why I don't plan to lead the whole thing, rather just organize it. I'm trying to see what people would want out of a bootcamp so I reach out to the right people.

Alright, makes sense.

Personally, I don't really see a benefit? I've done a hackathon before (got 3rd place, woo), I've been to Fastlane Summit, I've been to other meetups and networking events.

I would totally do all those again (the hackathon was a ton of fun and a really cool weekend). But this bootcamp kinda reminds me of The Foundation, which is bullshit in practice.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Alright, makes sense.

Personally, I don't really see a benefit? I've done a hackathon before (got 3rd place, woo), I've been to Fastlane Summit, I've been to other meetups and networking events.

I would totally do all those again (the hackathon was a ton of fun and a really cool weekend). But this bootcamp kinda reminds me of The Foundation, which is bullshit in practice.

I must have misspoken somewhere.

I have literally nothing planned so far in terms of content, or who is to be speaking. I'm just trying to see what content a few members of this forum would enjoy.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I have literally nothing planned so far in terms of content, or who is to be speaking. I'm just trying to see what content a few members of this forum would enjoy.

And I told you what 'bootcamp' sounds like. It sounds like a scam.

I don't see a market gap when it comes to events, except for maybe another Fastlane summit.

I'm one of the guys here in Toronto that hosts and organizes ad-hoc meetups for Fastlane Forum members, typically at a brunch place, where we sit and talk business. We have a Slack group where we talk about it. These are the kinds of things that I, personally, do.

I'm also going to start hitting the 'real' conventions, starting with Adtech in NYC in November.

The Summit is a sweet spot in between the local 'hang with buds' and the big shows.

tl;dr the answer to your question in the title is 'no, not really'. But I'm just one dude.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Well I would have a specific type of person in mind before I organised this event. Are they people who are looking to start a business, grow a business or as you alluded to yourself looking to network?

I would maybe start from the beginning and for the first event or bootcamp, or whatever you want to call it concentrate on the art of the start. The importance of mindset and of taking action and then maybe a bit on idea validation if you have time. Get some speakers who are real experts in these areas to give a brief talk with plenty of time for a Q&A session after each talk. At the end of it have a bit of time for a few drinks so all the speakers and guests have a chance to talk and meet each other and then mention what you are going to be doing at the next event.

This is the kind of event I would have liked to have attended. If you can attract some quality speakers, people will pay a decent price for such an event. If they feel it will be valuable they will pay good money and if you deliver or hopefully exceed their expectations with the first event then getting them to pay for the second will be much easier. If the speakers are nobodies who've done nothing and who no-one cares what they have to say, then no-one will hand over money for this, not even a free lunch would get people to turn up.
This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks a ton!

Green Destiny

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 19, 2016
This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks a ton!

No worries. TBH it all depends on what you are trying to do here. I mean, Is it a business, or is it more to create a group of like minded individuals? I got invited to a lunch meeting with a few local business people last week, a bit like what @The-J describes and it was really useful. Much more so than the BS bootcamp i mentioned before.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
A mix of both?mim not sure how to describe it.

I'd like to set up something similar to @AndrewNC's operation Boulder.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
From my book.....

upload_2016-8-8_16-41-13.png

Environment
“Emptiness is the starting point. In order to taste my cup of water, you must first empty your cup. My friend, drop all of your preconceived and fixed ideas to neutral. Do you know why this cup is useful? Because it is empty.”

-Bruce Lee

Project Scottsdale

The view of our balcony was a clear view of what would surpass any high end beach resort: Palm trees, year-round sunshine, a pool with a waterfall, an outdoor clubhouse with a bar and big screen TV, cabanas, and a volleyball court all directly below our third story balcony view.

Our apartment had golf carts that picked us up and took us to some of the most luxurious nightclubs of Scottsdale, Arizona. Still being in the 80s in November, taxi cabs weren’t needed.

If you haven’t been to Scottsdale, it is a hidden gem in the middle of the desert. Hollywood style nightclubs, upscale dining, exotic cars a common sight, and high end living, at the fraction of the cost.

If you wanted to be surrounded by success, you couldn’t ask for a better place.

A six month lease for this luxury living in a three bedroom condo was $1,500 per month, split between myself and two other aspiring entrepreneurs.

While this type of living might sound like the end of my journey, it was far from it. With total living expenses being just above $1,000 per month, it was only the beginning of our ascent.

Six months of building our online businesses, going out to nightclubs, attaining the wisdom of millionaires, and expanding our network was the goal.

How much can we grow in just under six months?

We named our place Project Scottsdale after reading the book The Game by Neil Strauss. Him, and a group of pickup artists rented a place together years ago and they called it Project Hollywood. That experience turned him and his roommates into some of the best pickup artists in the world.

With our goal of becoming some of the most successful entrepreneurs in the world, and also surrounding ourselves with success, we found Project Scottsdale to be a fitting name.

Six Months of Success

Contrary to the views from our apartment being a paradise, the inside was far from it. By traditional standards at least...

·Where most people had couches, we put our computer desks to do work.

·Instead of putting up a television to watch, we had a classroom-sized dry erase board on the wall.

·The only television in the entire apartment was not for entertainment. It was hooked up to my laptop as a second monitor to do work on.

·Between the three of us, we had 16 computer screens, three laptops, two tablets, and three computers.

The condo was filled with books, camera equipment for recording online training courses, and only things that would support us with reaching our goal. The people we networked with were a mix of positive-energy social people, millionaires, and others like us pushing full steam ahead on their personal journey to success.

A couple of times, one of our millionaire mentors flew into the city for business and stayed with us for a couple nights at a time. He gave us guidance when we were facing failure, helped us navigate obstacles, and overall gave us a kick in the rear to stop procrastinating and make something of our lives.

And then things started to take off.

By the end of the first month living together, one of my roommates made $12,000 in sales from his online business and was able to quit his 9-5 job, achieving our goals of financial independence.

It’s one thing to read stories of people making lots of money and being very successful, but seeing someone else in my shoes rise up from where I am in life really allowed me to realize that this type of success is possible for any of us.

Not even a month earlier, we used to send each other pictures of Ferraris, talk about the girls we were dating, and dreaming of one day making it ourselves. By the end of the second month, he is now raking in more money in one month than I did in my entire year at my day job.

If he can do it, so can I.

In December alone, he did $45,000 in sales. My other roommate made $20,000 in the first week after releasing a course he created. Inspired and motivated by seeing other normal people, just like myself, get results like this, I began working away to catch up.

By January, the app I created surpassed 60,000 downloads.

After two years of dreaming and feeling stuck, it was Project Scottsdale that brought us together and set us free.

The work done in these six months resulted in over $300,000 in revenue, 925,000 app downloads, and the belief…no… the knowing that it has always been possible for all of us.

When the six months of upscale Scottsdale living, and business growth were over, we parted ways. My two roommates moved to Albuquerque New Mexico to continue their mentorship from one of the millionaires that has helped us on our journey, and I left my corporate job to live in Boulder, Colorado for the remainder of the year, living out my dream of making passive income and enjoying life.

…but that’s not where it all started.

The thing that changed us was when we finally chose to let go of the old, and finally make room for the new.

All too often people try to hold on to what was, while trying to bring in what will be…

It doesn’t work like that. We left our old environment behind, and took that leap into the new...into the unknown.

Every journey to greatness, including ours, begins in a very different place...

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Damn, I love the voice to your writing.

And you've read The Game? I swear man, you're me from the future.

Edit: and is there a mailing list for updates on the book?

Last edited:

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Hey all!

I'm playing with the idea of an entrepreneurship bootcamp.

I want to take a small number of people, help you grow your network, boost your self-confidence in business, and give you some of the skills necessary to reach financial independence.

So now, I turn to you all!

If you joined an entrepreneurship bootcamp, what would you expect to learn? What kind of environment would you expect? What cost would you anticipate?

Thanks!
What do people on the forum know about you? The answers you will get depend a lot on your experience, what you have done to help people, and your overall goals.

What you have stated to the forum is that you want to help. There is nothing about what you will get in return. On top of that, the participants of this forum have not seen proven results from you.

If you have some other plan or idea about how you are going to bring the skills, they must be stated.

Otherwise, you will get very guarded and skeptical responses.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.