The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would starting a business with a van be a fastlane business?

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
New to this forum after just reading MJ's book. For some reason, the last few months something in my head is telling me to go buy a van and start a business. For example I could do removals, deliveries,maintainence or landscaping but I dont see this as a fastlane business. What do you guys think? Waste of time or give it a try? It would be my first business venture if I do try it so I think it would be a good learning curve for me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
New to this forum after just reading MJ's book. For some reason, the last few months something in my head is telling me to go buy a van and start a business. For example I could do removals, deliveries,maintainence or landscaping but I dont see this as a fastlane business. What do you guys think? Waste of time or give it a try? It would be my first business venture if I do try it so I think it would be a good learning curve for me.

Welcome man!

I think you've got it a little backwards. You're looking at it like this:
  1. Buy equipment
  2. Find a problem that can be solved with that equipment.
A better way to look at it would be this:
  1. Find a problem
  2. Buy equipment that solves it. (or no equipment at all!)
EDIT: Also, the 3 businesses you've mentioned above are things that would be directly tied to your time, making no scalability, unless you find an improvement on all existing services that can be replicated. Don't buy yourself a job.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Fastlane is a mindset, not a business model.

Welcome to the forum friend.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Every business can be a fastlane business or a slowlane business. The guys that started 1-800-JUNK or College Hunks Hauling Junk turned a typical slowlane business into $100+ million fastlane businesses with franchises all over the country.

I guarantee you that if you told John Rockefeller, "The only business you can start is a lemonade stand" that he would find a way to make it a fastlane business.

1. Make the best lemonade.
2. Create the most efficient process.
3. Start franchising that process to other owners.
4. Buy a bunch of lemon farms.
5. Monopolize the entire lemon industry and start selling his own brand of lemonade to stores across the country.

You get the point.

It's all about the process. Not the business.

Some businesses are much easier to fastlane... and anything that you can do with a van is not one of them.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
While the actual answer is YES.... been there and have the t-shirts to prove it (really, I do have lots of t-shirts left).... there are much easier ways to do it. If I had to do it over again I'd go soft serve ice cream & snow cones. Not a store but small stands all around town that serve both... catchy name, good product and tons of free marketing and you are a success. While I've said this for 15+ years, a couple of years ago 2 teen girls in Jackson, Tennessee proved me right. As far as I know they are still serving snow cones this year (they only serve snow cones I think). There first year.... 2 teen girls.... there 1st year I think they made $40,000.00 profit in just a few months. They knew how to market their product. While this is seasonal in lots of states, it is year around here in Texas. If anyone is from Jackson please chime in and give details if you know any. Why make your customers stand in the hot sun.... spend the $1000 and give them a nice shade with free water.

But your original question.... there is a guy named Jonathan. He started with 1 mower, just like most everyone else. He was young. I don't think he had a car, he had to walk around I think (Been a long time since I heard his story). They now call him the Lawn Care Millionaire. It's all about YOU. Is this what YOU want to do to make your millions? There is a guy named Ron that started a residential cleaning company not many years ago and is now a millionaire. He started with very little cash. The service industry has a ton of opportunity if you want to chase it. The problem is.... most people make a job and not a scaleable business.

The key: Have a plan before you start and have that plan to speed in to having workers. Don't go too fast but dicking around and making your 5 year plan to where it takes 5 years just to get your first worker is crazy. Have your 1st worker within 60 days..... hopefully way sooner. Real life success stories here.... no dreamin in this post :)

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

You've already had some good answers; however I would add, if you have Control, the barrier to Entry is not too low, there is a Need and the Time you put in will diminish as the profits go up and it is Scalable, then yes it's fastlane.

If just one of those criteria is not satisfied, then it isn't; which doesn't mean it can't be a great business and like you said; it's a great learning curve.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Oh by the way, as in buying a van I hope you mean paying CASH for a van that is only a few thousand dollars. My current van cost me $1300. Bought it over 1 year ago. It passed the inspection here in Texas and the ac still works good so I'll keep it another year. Don't get sucked in to the 'Gotta have new or near new to make money'. Rich people don't get rich by buying new work vehicles. Keep this in mind.... the best thing NEW is crisp new $100 dollar bills in your pocket.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018

These are easy businesses to start and make a little money. If you have no experience making sales to clients, they'd let you get comfortable with that, in a low pressure environment. It would only be Fastlane if you turned it into some kind of agency or crew based system where you, and eventually others, took orders, and then paid others to go do the work.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I don't really see it.

Of course a business that needs a giant fleet of vans for whatever reason they need vans for can certainly be fastlane. The main tool for the business... Doubtful.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
This is the MILLIONAIRE fastlane ... Millionaire... M... oh never mind

oh boy bobby.

giphy.gif

a twofer...

tumblr_mn7w0nB9E31sogz7po1_400.gif

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I'm sorry if the last 2 responses don't see it making millions but if you have the drive (no pun intended)..... 1 van can lead to millions in many businesses. As you stated, lawn care and deliveries can lead to million dollar businesses very quick. My buddy has several used mini vans and step side vans in several cities; he has a vending business. I started my residential cleaning business with 1 van (the 1st few months I had a 1974 Nova but the rear shocks were very rusted and soon gave out). I could have made several times more money WAY faster if I would have had a plan. My original goal was to have racing money & Dr. Pepper money.... if I'd have started with a plan and a goal, I think I could have been there within 2 years or less. A lawn care business can be done with a van or pickup..... if you don't think lawn care can make you rich quick, you better check out John Potoschnik.

Genka

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Oct 6, 2015
Turku, Finland
My experience is that if you are dependent on a van for income then it can blow up very quickly in your face.

Last year I was delivering food as a service with my own car and the costs of fixing the car were as much as I made. Got into debt because of that.

So I traded my car for a van. A volkswagen transporter to be exact. So I could do what you are describing.

I offered people moving services and the need was certainly there. Probably served like 10 customers in a short time.

Then one day coming back from a customer I heard this weird sound in the engine and before I knew it I was stranded in the middle of the traffic with blown engine. I had the van for around 2 weeks.

The van value was about 2500 eur before the engine blew and I got 500 eur out of it after it blew. A lot of time and money down the drain.

This is also the reason why driving for uber doesnt make sense. It might seem like a good income in the beginning, but in reality you are just leeching value from your vehicle.

ay47

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 29, 2018
I think any business can be fast lane through using the concepts in the book like intentional iteration. Hardly any business is “fast lane” at the start. It’s a process. However, I don’t hear a business here, just about a van.

Certainly a van is an asset. Depending on how you use it. But I’m not seeing a business here.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
The goal should not be A van. The goal should be 100 vans. That's what I used to tell my buddy that was in the commercial cleaning business. He was always worried about getting a building to clean. I explained that he was never going to make any money until he was trying to get 100 buildings to clean, not just 1.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.