The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Worth trying to buy existing e-biz?

michael515

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 27, 2007
Is it worth trying to buy an internet business that's already running if I have a small budget i.e. say $5,000?

The web can be very low cost-of-entry but when looking to buy an existing business off a forum like sitepoint.com marketplace all I see is junk mostly. Perhaps I'm living in a dreamland thinking that it's possible to buy an e-biz that's decent for that small amount of $$ huh? :coco:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Never buy a business for what it is
(if you do that, you'll be paying full value),
buy it for what it can be.

And you think your rep speed is over rated. :tiphat:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I tried to buy one for around $13k-$18k back in August. At that time I didn't know much about ebiz so I thought I'd just buy one that's up and running and learn from the seller. The seller and I could not come to an agreement so I decided to start one up on my own.

I started up mine for about $300 total and used free open source software. I did all the template changes, learned alot about setting up the backend credit card process, processing orders, etc...

I'm now in direct competition with the company I tried to buy. I'm pretty sure I have the exact same suppliers and resources. All he has on me is his Google SERP ranking. But I can compete using Adwords. Now that I've learned what I've learned, I would not buy a small ebiz again. What you are paying for is mainly SERP and repeat customers. Without those, you can duplicate a simple ebiz site easily.

I would also say that you need to know some programming to successfully run an ebiz by yourself. If you have to call a developer everytime you have a small problem, your costs will ad up.

Here are some posts about my ebiz from my blog
Choosing an Ecommerce product part 1
Choosing an Ecommerce product part 2
My site after 7 days
Chugging along

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.