• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

WEB/DIGITAL Worth trying to buy existing e-biz?

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by michael515, Dec 19, 2007.

1. michael515

michael515 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $302
    Is it worth trying to buy an internet business that's already running if I have a small budget i.e. say $5,000?

The web can be very low cost-of-entry but when looking to buy an existing business off a forum like sitepoint.com marketplace all I see is junk mostly. Perhaps I'm living in a dreamland thinking that it's possible to buy an e-biz that's decent for that small amount of $$ huh? :coco:

2. kimberland

kimberland Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $118
    Never buy a business for what it is
    (if you do that, you'll be paying full value),
    buy it for what it can be.

SteveO likes this.
  3. SteveO

SteveO Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $91,823

And you think your rep speed is over rated. :tiphat:

4. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $175,772
    I tried to buy one for around $13k-$18k back in August. At that time I didn't know much about ebiz so I thought I'd just buy one that's up and running and learn from the seller. The seller and I could not come to an agreement so I decided to start one up on my own.

I started up mine for about $300 total and used free open source software. I did all the template changes, learned alot about setting up the backend credit card process, processing orders, etc...

I'm now in direct competition with the company I tried to buy. I'm pretty sure I have the exact same suppliers and resources. All he has on me is his Google SERP ranking. But I can compete using Adwords. Now that I've learned what I've learned, I would not buy a small ebiz again. What you are paying for is mainly SERP and repeat customers. Without those, you can duplicate a simple ebiz site easily.

I would also say that you need to know some programming to successfully run an ebiz by yourself. If you have to call a developer everytime you have a small problem, your costs will ad up.

Here are some posts about my ebiz from my blog
    Choosing an Ecommerce product part 1
    Choosing an Ecommerce product part 2
    My site after 7 days
    Chugging along

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.