The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Working on more than one business at a time

Terrance

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 5, 2015
Given that online businesses takes time to design, develop, market etc. would it be ideal to work on multiple projects at the same time or is it generally a terrible idea?

What are your experiences with that?
Does it usually end in burn out?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
Your phrasing makes me wonder whether you actually have two businesses or if this is just a hypothetical mental masturbation.
Are you looking for advice or a theoretical discussion on the subject?

While I fear you are looking for the later, I will give my two cents for people looking for the first.

In my starting days, everytime I tried to do multiple things at once, nothing worked.
As soon as I stayed with one thing for a long period of time, I started gaining friction.

Great post on that subject by @snowbank :
Entrepreneurial-diworsification

You have to ask yourself, why would you create two businesses at once?

If you've never built one business, what makes you think you can successfully build two?

It's quite likely one of your businesses is not as good as the other, or you don't enjoy it as much.
Cut it out. Why would you keep doing something that just steals your time?

If you have two businesses, it also means you have to divide your attention and time.
And let me tell you, if you are my competition, and you only spend half of your attention and half of your time, I will outwork you.
It get's even worse if you still have a job or study or do something else fulltime. It means you have to divide the few lasting hours and the last drops of attention.

Tl;dr: Why would you do two things if you can do just one - and will likely end up more successfull?
Read: GOLD - One Trick Pony

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
No ecommerce, but still applicable experience I think.

When I signed up to the forum, I had my fingers in 5 different businesses.

It sucked.

I'm now down to 2 businesses, and life is a whole lot better...but it's obvious to me that is still 1 too many.

It just doesn't go like you think it would. Seems logical to not have all your eggs in one basket and all that, but it's just impossible to run a GREAT business with your attention divided between them.

I ended up just treading water. Got nowhere with any of it. Made a good income for sure, but I wasn't building anything, only maintaining.

I'm working on being in 1 business only, I hope to have that done within a year from now.

1 GREAT business + money system investments = happiness.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.