The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wordpress or Coding from scratch

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
I had an idea that I want to start executing. I have come across something and I wanted to ask it on here. My idea is a service that would be delivered for use via app, and website. I thought doing it by website first would be a great starting point. As I'm looking at how to do this, I came across Wordpress. I am still confused as to what Wordpress can do. Can I use wordpress to provide an online service that the website should be capable of providing, or should I be coding this website on my own. The service is supposed to be fairly diverse, but I don't know if Wordpress can make this possible. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted21704

WordPress is a CMS, i.e., a content-management system. It's meant to store & format content.

It's not MEANT to work as an 'app', i.e., do stuff other than display blog posts, e-commerce, sign people up for email lists, etc. That's not to say it can't, but it won't be ideal.

In my opinion, if you're building an 'app', WordPress is invaluable for putting out feelers (gauging interest, obtaining emails, etc) but if you decide to move forward, your real app needs a back-end that you can mold, shape, and scale on a dime. In that case, it would be best to be using a more flexible programming framework.

Depends what you mean by 'app' and 'service' of course...

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
To put it in a bit of perspective, with whatever I end up doing, I should be able to put an input through the website and someone on the other side of the service should be able to respond with an output. I think programming from scratch is the way to go though, but it would be cool if Wordpress could help out.

Edit: I feel like this isn't explaining enough. Someone on the other side (service provider) should be able to respond accordingly to the Input request. It's almost like I would be making a survey asking what is needed, this could be sent to the provider, and then the provider could respond to the request accordingly. I hope this sheds some more light.

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
So a form? Yeah I guess wordpress is what you want, then.

Wordpress is mainly for blogs. It's not for apps. And if you're gonna be doing stuff server-side, you want to get your own hosting plan rather than the free one wordpress offers. Then you gotta write the php or ruby or whatever server-side language code.

If you're a programmer, getting your own hosting plan and using stuff like twitter bootstrap to make a landing page would be easiest. Wordpress is too bloated for simple stuff.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
If you're a programmer, getting your own hosting plan and using stuff like twitter bootstrap to make a landing page would be easiest. Wordpress is too bloated for simple stuff.

I disagree.

If all you REALLY need are landing pages, OptimizePress, Unbounce and LeadPages are the best options over coding your own pages. The speed at which you can churn out LPs is so much faster with these tools (particularly LeadPages, but its really limited in flexibility). It's even faster than outsourcing it.

Wordpress + OptimizePress is a great way to make custom landing pages that are flexible and allow you to expand out into a blog and more content (like articles for content marketing, etc.) later. It's the way I go when LeadPages is too rigid for my purposes because I can churn out a well-formatted, attractive squeeze page within 10-60 minutes.

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
I disagree.

If all you REALLY need are landing pages, OptimizePress, Unbounce and LeadPages are the best options over coding your own pages. The speed at which you can churn out LPs is so much faster with these tools (particularly LeadPages, but its really limited in flexibility). It's even faster than outsourcing it.

Wordpress + OptimizePress is a great way to make custom landing pages that are flexible and allow you to expand out into a blog and more content (like articles for content marketing, etc.) later. It's the way I go when LeadPages is too rigid for my purposes because I can churn out a well-formatted, attractive squeeze page within 10-60 minutes.
Thanks! Was just researching lead page options and took 5 mins to browse the forum. This looks just what I need :}

rcdlopez

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 12, 2012
Los Angeles
WordPress is a CMS, i.e., a content-management system. It's meant to store & format content.

That's right. Wordpress is just a piece of software that allows you to add content to your site easily rather than having to go into each .php file and edit it manually.

Wordpress can do pretty much anything if you know how to modify it. Depending on what the idea is, it may or may not be ideal. Anytime you start off with any sort of framework you will always have bloat. Wordpress is no exception. Unless you are building the next facebook or something then there is really no reason why NOT to use it. I have 2 high traffic sites which use wordpress as the CMS, but their performance is mainly due in part because of efficient code. Check out http://www.wondergrovelearn.com/, that's a service website running on a wordpress.

Also, hardly anyone starts anything from scratch anymore. It's just not very efficient. Most web applications have a starting framework from which they start from (zend, codeigniter, etc). No point in rebuilding something that is already built and not worth your time making.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
Wordpress is also not the only system out there, not by a long shot. Wordpress is popular because it's fast and easy and you can get a small decent looking site up in minutes. However as your needs grow you'll find this initial blessing turns into a curse. For example, the standard way to implement business logic in wordpress is to put it in a theme. This is like building a car and putting all the electronics into the upholstery. "Wordpress" is the standard answer to "What should I use to make my web site?" In much the same way "McDonald's" is the standard answer to "Where should we go to dinner?"

Ryuzaki

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 15, 2015
It's not entirely clear what you're looking for, but from the gist of things I'd recommend looking at Wufoo.com for forms, a forum like Xenforo or Vbulletin for the back and forth response aspect. You can set up private threads if needed. You could look at aMember for membership style sites. Best of luck.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Edit: I feel like this isn't explaining enough. Someone on the other side (service provider) should be able to respond accordingly to the Input request. It's almost like I would be making a survey asking what is needed, this could be sent to the provider, and then the provider could respond to the request accordingly. I hope this sheds some more light.

Similar to Magic or Alfred?

There are some contact widgets that can make a WP site seem realtime-ish. If your dream is an app like one of the mentioned, the WP site could only be the informational site, not the backend for a realtime chat application.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
D

Deleted21961

You really think this is valuable advice for someone who is "still confused as to what Wordpress can do?"
Yes. If he just google what GAE and Django are, he would have a better understanding between what WP can do and what it can't...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.