The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Winning the Hearts and Minds - Turning Skeptics into Fans

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Today I was confronted by a customer that was fairly upset that my products are made in China. A vocal customer is an ideal customer imo so this wasn't an email to be ignored (none are but I had to turn this around asap)

I was told that my products should be made in the U.S to reduce carbon emissions. That companies should make this a high priority and do everything that we can to reduce our footprint.

Understandable - Some people really care about the environment and they want to hold companies accountable. How do you justify manufacturing in China without focusing on profits? Here's the approach I took.

My company's mission is about offering an alternative product to x. People don't like x.

I laid out facts. My company wouldn't exist to replace x if I had to open a factory in the U.S and train U.S workers how to make it. In China I could get up and running immediately with low costs and skilled workers. I wouldn't exist otherwise.

Raw material transport - The raw materials still need to be transported to the U.S if it is going to be manufactured there. No carbon offset.

Shipping to customers - Putting something in people's hands regardless of where it is produced creates a footprint (we don't sell by bicycle courier)

Worker transport - If I manufactured my goods in the U.S the workers would more than likely drive to the factory in their big engined car to make the products and drive home again. My workers live locally to the factory and their transportation method is surely more carbon efficient than a U.S workers. Their diet even generates less emissions as the food items aren't shipped around as much as the food in an American's diet. Some carbon savings there.

I basically told them that we could do our best and start creating value in the market or we could do nothing at all because it is prohibitive to start manufacturing our products in the U.S. The only place left for them to turn would be to a protectionist stance saying the U.S is losing jobs. The U.S is not if they wouldn't exist in the first place.

So I don't know if this will help any of you you at all. Hopefully, one day, it will help somebody to breakdown your own customers questions and reply in a way that turns them into a fan of yours.

She went from slightly angry to a fan complimenting me on our products and saying she loves what we do.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JacobBW

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 28, 2016
Australia
Are these points that you had already thought of as part of your set up process - or did they come to you when the need arose?
All good points BTW

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Are these points that you had already thought of as part of your set up process - or did they come to you when the need arose?
All good points BTW
Thanks. A bit of both. Comparing the lifestyle and dietary impact of my factory workers compared to a typical U.S worker came to me.

I'm mainly trying to show that by taking a line-by-line approach to breaking down their arguments against you can help win them over. People understand that others are tying their best and doing what they can. Nobody is perfect and I think people understand that and it resonates with them. So if you're doing your best to succeed and make products that people love they'll understand that you need to keep your costs down to get up and running. As long as you show you're not an evil company using slave labor and stealing jobs from American workers. Defending the overseas manufacturing argument can make you look good.

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
A good lesson in corporate communications.

I work in communications in an issue-rich environment. We have a "public positions" doc that's constantly updated so we have go-to lines when the enquiries come in (mostly from media in our case).

If you find yourself getting consistent enquiries, it'd be an idea to maintain a doc of your own so you are loaded with an effortless well-formed response on each occasion.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
When I was assisting in the management of a string of Pool and Snooker halls I suggested that all the managers do a customer care course with the Australian Institute of Management and one thing I remember most was that when a customer complains I was to do my best to understand the problem, empathise with the customer then over compensate them until they're embarrassed. Almost without exception, all customer complaints I handled turned into great long term clients and some even become ambassadors and spruikers. Of course I was known to go over the top e.g. no charge for today's play, coffees all round, free vouchers and lots of understanding.

Another thing I learned was to try to avoid apologising for the company and other employees. They don't need sympathy, it's not your fault (so why would I apologise?) they need empathy. They need to know that you see the problem, you agree it's a crappy situation and you'll do everything in your power to fix or compensate them. So, you're right Jake, engage people who complain, empathise, communicate your appreciation for their business and compensate somehow. They'll become fans.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.