• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

O/T: Funnies Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Off Topic: Sports, Funnies, Pop-Culture' started by bflbob, Oct 22, 2007.

1. bflbob

bflbob Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $426
  2. Z5 FILMS

Z5 FILMS Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $246
    LOL. I have a Mac so I don't know anything about all that stuff.

I thought the comment about "in order to turn your computer off, you have to click the start button" was pretty funny.

3. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $388,183
    Admin Post
    How do you like Mac? I understand that its more of a designer/artsy type platform -- can you do web development on it?

Vista is really piss poor just as the video describes.

4. Rawr

Rawr Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,523
    Hilarious and all so true.

Some highlights of using it so far:

Loading the OS takes 64 seconds.

Can't find print in word for the life of me.

I'll stick to XP thank you!

5. Allthingznew

Allthingznew Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $90
    It's all well and good to stick with XP for now, but what about later, when you really need to upgrade your computer? I agree, I have XP and dread the day I would have to get Vista, but that's just it, unless they come up with something better before that happens, aren't we all stuck at some point?

Isn't that part of Microsofts business plan? Keep them upgrading? Make the older software so obsolete they have to upgrade? I know there are people out there who are still using Win 3.1, but for what? Does it support Java, flash, skype etc? It's becoming more and more common not to be able to view some websites w/o some kind of add on.

Any way we can make a difference? I know the backlash has made Microsoft postpone the complete elimination of XP from operating systems on some new computers, but it's not for much longer. At some point your only option will be vista. :pullhair:

6. Bilgefisher

Bilgefisher Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $393
    Just wait, service pack 3 for XP from microsoft is suppose to upgrade it and make it similar to vista. :mad: I lean more and more towards linux every day.

7. CRBFL

CRBFL New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $47
    I just bought a new notebook and it came with Vista:smxD::nonod::mad: I hate it.

8. Russ H

Russ H Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,360
    Been using a Mac since 1989.

For a brief period of time (1990-1998), I was able to "secretly" get 400-800% more done via 3-D CAD than my competitors on the PC platform. The Mac was just way, way faster on graphics oriented stuff back then.

Since 2000, I haven't had that huge speed advantage, since 3D CAD for the PC started getting better, and now, dominates-- so it's actually faster. But I can still run my old early 1990's CAD designer program on the new macs, and it *still* blows away the current PC software. Only problem is, it hasn't been updated in forever (company was bought by a competitor and buried).

Nowadays, I have a Mac w/a dual processor, so I can run PC software when I need to. There is a program called "Parallels" that allows me to switch back and forth between PC and Mac without re-booting (and no, it's not an emulator-- my laptop has an Intel Core Duo chip in it).

Another cool thing we've just added is logmein.com-- we have a main network computer (PC) at the Inn, which has some very PC-specific software. Using logmein.com, my mac laptop becomes a terminal for our office PC-- it's like we have an extra keyboard and mouse hooked up. So when no one is working on the downstairs main PC (which is most of the time, since the innkeepers have their own computers), then I can go in and work on the Inn software from my Mac-- and I can do this wherever I find an internet connection! Pretty cool.

Sorry MJ, I have no experience w/web design software, so I can't help you there. But using both Mac and my wife's PC on a weekly basis, I can say that, without a doubt, the biggest advantage (at least today) with a Mac is that I have virtually NO problems w/viruses. And very little spam

Take away those 2 things (virus scans, spam blockers) from your day to day, and both efficiency and processor speed increases, at least for me. :)

-Russ H.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=FxOIebkmrqs"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=FxOIebkmrqs[/ame]

9. Z5 FILMS

Z5 FILMS Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $246

+1

Have quite a bit of experience with both PC and Mac. I have to hand it to Mac. I think it used to be more geared twords "artsy" programs, but I don't see that now. The only thing I think the PC might be better is MS Office applications. I have some friends that use Macs for everything except that type of stuff. I don't mess with Power Point presentations or spreadsheets, so I can't comment on that.

But....now they have the "Parallel" software you mentioned so you can run your Windoze on your Mac if you wanted. I don't use it though. I try to avoid anything PC related if possible.

The main reason I like Mac most of all as Russ pointed out, is the lack of the spyware/malware/virus/popup/hijacking garbage you get with the PC. With PC's it would seem like it was only about 3 or 4 months before my new computer was so infested with garbage that it would hardly run. I tried endless "anti" software. It's was pretty much a losing battle. I'm almost convinced it's a conspiracy. The anti virus software makers are speading virii on the net in order to sell you more software. It's so bad that's it's almost funny. There was a time when I would allmost swear the malware on my computer was fighting with all the other virii and stuff for domination of my desktop. And it seemed to be getting worse all the time.

I can download junk all day long and not have a single glitch on the Mac. Pop ups? What are those? I see maybe 1 a month and I don't have any "anti" software.

I still have a PC laptop for emergencies, but I will never again use a PC for anything online.

10. JesseO

JesseO Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $102
    M ost
    A pplications
    C rash
    I f
    N ot
    T he
    O perating
    S ystem
    H alts

:smx7:

11. Rawr

Rawr Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,523
    Well the funny thing is I bought this laptop specifically to run Vista - it is 64 bit AMD processor. But after my experiences with Vista and all those "amazing animations that make you want to take a hammer to the screen" I want to stay with XP

12. Z5 FILMS

Z5 FILMS Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $246
    LOL Maybe on the Apple IIe.

13. Russ H

Rep Bank:
    $2,360
    Cute, Jesse.

Not accurate, but cute*.

The only place where the PC has it in spades over the Mac (besides viruses) is gaming software.

But I determined gaming was an obstacle to my wealth plan, so I don't have any (not a one) games on any of my computers. Nor do I play 'em online.

Sad, pathetic wretch that I am . . . :smxD:

;)

-Russ H.

*I run both platforms, so I can assure you it's the other way 'round. We have our tech guy for the PC work on our computers at least once a month. I have my mac in about once every 18 months.

14. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $44,592
    I've been a senior manager for Microsoft for a long time, but will try not to come off as biased here (for the most part, I'm don't think I am)...

First, with Vista, unless you have at least 2GB of RAM, performance is going to be horrible. If you don't have at least 2GB of RAM, upgrade now. Once you do, I imagine you'll be a good bit happier.

That said, Microsoft recognizes that there are issues with Vista, and are planning to keep XP support around for a good while. A couple people alluded to the fact that pretty soon Vista will be the only supported platform, but that's nonsense.

People are still happily using Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows 95, and probably even Win 3.1. Microsoft doesn't ever require upgrades, and in general, does everything possible to make applications backwords compatible. For applications that are not backwards compatible, that's usually the decision of the application developer, not Microsoft.

For example, if Skype chooses not to make a Windows 95 compatible version of the Skype client, that's their decision. In some cases, of course, the software may not be able to run on older versions of the MS OS, but then again, that's why MS keeps upgrading and making their operating systems more feature-rich.

As for whether a Mac is better than a PC, that truly depends on the applications you want to run. For some things, there is no doubt you'd rather have a Mac. The most common example are people who should use Macs are people who need serious media editing apps, like video editing, music mixing, etc. Also, for anyone who is technophobic, a Mac tends to be much simpler to set up and start using.

On the other hand, the PC has a hold on business app standards. Everything from MS Office to server tools to CRM tools are primarily suited to PCs. Additionally, third-party OS and application developers prefer Windows and the Windows-based development tools (MSDN, VS.NET, etc). Lastly, most people would agree that if you're a PC gamer, Windows is probably a better fit than is the Mac.

Finally, there's the common argument that Windows sucks because it's so susceptible to viruses and other spyware. In actuality, there's little reason to believe that Windows is less susceptible than MacOS to these things; the reality is that because MacOS has such a small percentage of the OS market, very few hackers are interested in trying to develop malware for the Mac platform. If the Mac were ever to accumulate 90% marketshare, it would likely have to endure just as much malware as Windows currently does.

If my mother asked me for a recommendation, I tell her to buy a Mac. If my nephew (who is about to enter college) were to ask for a recommendation, I'll tell him to buy a PC (with Windows XP). There's no one-size-fits-all for this question just yet...

Z5 FILMS likes this.
  15. Russ H

Rep Bank:
    $2,360
    Sure there is!

;)

16. Diane Kennedy

Diane Kennedy Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $129
    Interesting thread....

I use a MAC!!! I run a lot of Office apps, spreadsheets and analytical programs ...and I can do it all on my Mac.

I love my Mac because:

- Battery life is longer (I fly a lot)
    - I don't have to shut it down and restart. Biggest problem when I go to a PC I forget that occassionally you have to hit the start button to stop and that you need to do it or it just freezes.
    - Multiple windows open don't seem to slow it down at all.
    - It seems to just be easier to travel with and find and work with new wireless connections
    - I can reboot way faster than anyone else (works great when we're all racing to the First Class Lounge to a punk wireless router and first person grabs the bandwidth)

I didn't watch the video so don't know if this was in it or not:

Back in the Middle Ages it was common for royalty to jockey for position to a throne by killing other heirs. It became so common that a term was coined for assassination by throwing out a window called "defenestration."

I remember when Windows was new - we all said it brought an old term back to life "defenestration" - getting thrown out a Window(s).

By the way, we track systems for people who come to TaxLoopholes website. We have 4 times the national average of Mac users coming to our site. Maybe I like the rebel aspect a little bit too......

17. Diane Kennedy

Rep Bank:
    $129
    Oh, and I do my own audio editing now with my little Mac

18. bflbob

bflbob Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $426
    Wow Russ! A Trash-80!

That was my second computer ever -- after a Texas Instruments (TI-15A??)
    I had a TRS-80 Model II with a three drive expansion bay.
    8" floppy disks with about 16k of memory as I recall.
    Major Geeksville!

19. Diane Kennedy

Rep Bank:
    $129
    Okay, as long as we're reminiscing....

Here was my first "portable". It took a luggage cart to carry it around, but man was it cool to carry out to a client's office.

20. nomadjanet

nomadjanet Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $187
    Believe it or not we had this thing in one of the old offices until about 2 years ago when my daugher put it on ebay & sold it to the "northstar museum". It hadn't been used since the 80's but my mother in law thought it was going to be "worth a fortune someday". She hates windows; thinks things should be programed in fortran, she was willing to try basic but when windows came along she stopped using a computer.
    Janet

21. Corrado79

Corrado79 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $37
    I'm thinking about buying a new computer but it will have Vista on it. Is Vista really that bad? Or is just hard to get used to and pretty soon we'll be saying how much better than XP it is. I ask because I remember similar sentiments about XP when it came out in 2001/2002.

22. Corrado79

Corrado79 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $37
    Have to ask, what is "worth a fortune?" How much did it sell for on eBay?

23. RAiMA

RAiMA New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $67
    I did the same, bought a core 2 duo tho. Hated Vista at first, but really liking it now. Had to upgrade my Office software. The funny thing was, it was a conflict between Office 2000 (excel) and IE7 on XP that made me upgrade the software. Being the retail version of Office and entitled to install a copy on a desktop as well as on a notebook, I took the opportunity and everything runs sweet as :)

If anyone needs a hand with Vista lemme know :)

24. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $388,183
    Admin Post
    Vista sucks a$$!

You can buy XP Professional PCs at Insight.com (NSIT) - and DELL.com -- the mainstream retail outlets look like they stopped selling them. (Places like BestBuy, Circuit City)

25. nomadjanet

nomadjanet Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $187
    Well, needless to say it was not "worth a fortune" it went for about 700.00 plush shipping which was more than we thought it would bring. But to her, since back in the day she paid about 10k for it, she thought it was going to go up not down. :) LOL.
    Janet

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.