The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I still feel this is way overblown by the media
From what I've seen, the media is vastly under-reporting this. Given the scope of what's going on (millions of people on lockdown, people literally getting dragged away screaming, people convulsing and dropping dead in the street, stores getting emptied out, the outbreak spreading to multiple countries...) this should be front page news everywhere. But it's not. Oh sure, you'll see articles here and there, but the coverage is nowhere near what the media generally does in these situations.

And that, to me, is a sure sign that it's a lot worse than anyone is saying.

theresgot2bemore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 20, 2016
Anywhere w/freedom
I guess we have found the answer as to what will cause the coming recession. I'm sure the Intel bubbas in DC and elsewhere already have some 1,000+ page reports about this stuff to prepare our officials. Just from the public news alone things just keep getting worse although slowly.

So far:
  • The outbreak supposedly started in the market of Wuhan. There is a BSL-4 lab close by and it is plausible that it came from there. As to whether it was malicious reasons or simply incompetent employees who knows. The Chinese never feared killing their own citizens but they love money so no way they would harm their own economy. A complacent employee who thought the rules were too restrictive could be the simple cause and the unhygienic stuff seen in those markets from videos online just helped the situation move along.
  • This is way more than "just a flu". The Chinese started building hospitals immediately after the ordeal started being announced. In the USA 11 quarantine centers, so far, have been opened up. Hell our forces have been told to standby for a pandemic if I recall correctly.
  • The HHS secretary said "nothing to worry about" not long ago and now our own media is slowly starting to say that we should keep an eye on this. Hell I saw CNN had an immunologist a couple of days ago that said we are on the brink of a pandemic. I imagine other legacy media is starting to come around on this subject matter to prep the population.
  • Since the outbreak started with the least trustworthy nation state ever we have to look at what is available to the public. So far Iran, Italy, and South Korea show the real capabilities of this virus as it is. The Fastlaner who posted about Western Media locking down things just like China was dead on. Who knows what the actual infected rate is in the USA.
  • The State Department ordered the cruise ship folks to be back here to be quarantined. I hope they're running a tight ship in these quarantine centers because all it takes to make things worse is someone not following PPE procedures correctly once.
  • The hidden infected in the USA. Remember that the people who were declared infected early on and admitted to hospitals were the ones who already had credible symptoms and tested positive for it. Who knows how long they actually had it and who else was exposed to them. This does not account for major Chinatowns like NYC. There has to be more out there though NDAs and people not wanting to become quarantined are probably a motivator. The fact that so far only 3 states can test for the Coronavirus full time like Iran, Italy, and South Korea does not help things.
RUMINT/Hearsay/Speculation (whatever you want to call it)

As for the capabilities of this virus who knows what they really are. I believe its a bio-weapon simply due to the traits it has. Maybe it was an experiment using a different virus for various reasons that escaped due to simple incompetence from being complacent. Maybe someone at the lab got careless one day and here we are. Remember that it is called Novel Coronavirus by our own institutions so they, too, are working on finding out what is true and what is not about this virus. So far word on the web is that:
  • A 24 - 36 day incubation period. To be determined. Originally 14 days.
  • Can last on surfaces from 9 days up to weeks. To be determined. China is taking no chances and has considered burning money. This sounds similar to the plot of The Division. Who knows if it is as bad as we think it is for surfaces.
  • Can spread through touch, water droplets from breath, viral shedding through air (airborne) and get in your eyes from any multitude of ways. To be determined.
  • Can infect your pets which can cause you to get reinfected. To be determined.
  • Your body cannot form anti-bodies against it which cause you to get reinfected. You can die due to heart damage from medications you take depending on your reinfection rates. To be determined.
  • Can only infect and kill people of Han descent. So far with Iran & elsewhere we see that is not the case. As for whether it is less fatal to those below 30 who knows but I would not want to find out.
  • Can be infected and show no symptoms nor be harmed by the Coronavirus thus making you a carrier. To be determined. (If I got infected somehow I'd prefer this over the alternative.)
  • No cure. HIV medicine is helping people recuperate but the threat of reinfection would still be there. A cure is supposedly in the works in 18 months.
There's more out there but so far that is what I observed off the top of my head. I'm sure there will be some major publications from full time analysts after this ordeal.

Looks like its time to prep like it is hurricane season down here. If I had Fastlane home pot money for discretional spending I'd buy BSL-4 positive pressure suits, lots of ammo, food, etc. As it is I'll have to do what I can with what I have. I hope it ends up being nothing but if it doesn't I'll at least be somewhat ready. I cannot say the same for other people here in Miami due to how casually they are taking the situation.

On a side note - Supposedly almost all pharmaceuticals are made in China so this will affect getting HIV medicine as well as that 18 month vaccine's time to market. This double whammy of a health and economic crisis is going to leave one hell of a mark IMO because of that.

[/QUOTE]
I don't see any panic. In fact, I see quite the opposite. I see a bunch of people asleep at the wheel.

Even using the purely manufactured Chinese numbers, the R0 of this virus, combined with its exceptionally long infectious incubation period, indicates that we're possibly in for some real shit in the next couple years. Far from being over, C0VlD-19 is just getting warmed up.

Absolutely this.

Last edited:

AlessandroD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Feb 20, 2020
Italy
Please, thinking that all medical stuff around the world is lying, that the "truth" is hidden and that only few elected know what is going on is not a rationale way of thinking.
The symptoms are like a normal flue and it will spread, no secret here.

Again, I don't understand why stocking ammo would be helpful for this emergency.
It would be helpful if you think this situation will end in an apocalypse, i.e. acting as movies/books of this kind, and not with critical thinking.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

NovaAria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 18, 2018
I don't understand why stocking ammo would be helpful for this emergency
Haha you gotta be American to understand this one.

On an unrelated note:

Again with the "Don't panic" corporate speak. It's not a Pandemic (Because we dont have an actual threat level called "Pandemic") It's a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.
All markets opened to a red shiny color today, though. Except for gold and silver which have been spiking for a while now.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Well folks the markets are set to open down, everything is bleeding red, and to the likes we haven't seen in a while.

If the markets reflects a dire situation, that's when the threat starts to reach the average person's conscious ... and when that happens, you won't be able to prepare.

It would be wise ya'll take precautions NOW. Entire regions in Italy are in lockdown and quarantine.

I still feel this is way overblown by the media and it is not even anywhere near the numbers of common flu. I keep hearing that 10,000 Americans have already died from the flu this year and yet the media doesn't mention this as it doesn't invoke the same excitement.

Great point, except common flus aren't bio-engineered by the Chinese. If I had to guess, this didn't originate in a Wuhan market, but in a Wuhan laboratory.

Again, I don't understand why stocking ammo would be helpful for this emergency.

A home full of food and supplies is worthless if you can't defend it. Ammo and guns becomes a part of the national currency, along with food, and basic supplies.

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
I'm neighboring Italy and all the N95 masks have sold out this morning following the news from Italy over the weekend (only a few N100/P3 type masks remaining).

It's crazy what kind of a difference a single day can do. Buy while you still can.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Haha so we'd all have to go full-on doomsday prepper with the hazmat?
Well, there's some truth in it, as the typical N95 only blocks out 95% of the particles.
So the regular mask is not a 100% fix.

Also, there's the question of how we use and dispose the masks.
Do we enter our home, and toss the contaminated mask in the bin, but we somehow spread the virus all over the place?
Do we somehow try to reuse the mask, since it's harder to resupply?

Unfortunately, I've seen very few official guidelines on these.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of turning my doorway into a decontamination chamber of some sorts lol.

I remember reading that the masks are ineffective. I forgot where I saw this but it was a study done years ago before this virus. For them to be marginally effective they need to seal completely around the nose and mouth and these cheap masks have too many exposed openings along the edges. Especially when you talk.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
A home full of food and supplies is worthless if you can't defend it. Ammo and guns becomes a part of the national currency, along with food, and basic supplies.

MJ, time to get that Daniel defense!

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
I think this is a wakeup call to just have awareness.
One of the elements of situational awareness is considering the future status of a known environment or possibility thereof.

In that respect, taking precautionary steps is just a way to possibly mitigate a panic response while others are in the throes of it.

It really doesn't need to be much. Buying 20 lbs of beans that last 2-3 years, and 20 lbs of rice as well.
Canned staple items. A basic bicycle. Alcohol. A first aid kit. Etc.

The worst that could happen if nothing occurs is that one can donate the foodstuffs to a local food pantry when expiration dates are near. They will be grateful.

Think ahead. Don't be a victim.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I remember reading that the masks are ineffective. I forgot where I saw this but it was a study done years ago before this virus. For them to be marginally effective they need to seal completely around the nose and mouth and these cheap masks have too many exposed openings along the edges. Especially when you talk.

Just tape it down?

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Please, thinking that all medical stuff around the world is lying, that the "truth" is hidden and that only few elected know what is going on is not a rationale way of thinking.
In the words of George R. R. Martin, "Oh, my sweet summer child..."

What do you think is more important to our governments right now? Protecting our health? Or preventing mass panic while they put their systems in place to handle whatever this is?

If people will resort to violence in order to get that last TV during a black Friday sale, just imagine what they'd do to get food when they're starving. With a gun and ammo, ants can protect their family (and their food/supplies) from desperate, roving grasshappers.

Plus, yeah, it's an American thing.

AlessandroD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Feb 20, 2020
Italy
Well folks the markets are set to open down, everything is bleeding red, and to the likes we haven't seen in a while.

I agree, Italian stocks is around 6% down but it will be a worldwide effect, all markets are somehow related to each others.

Entire regions in Italy are in lockdown and quarantine.

This is not correct, towns not regions, at the moment they are 11 for around 50000 citizens.

Great point, except common flus aren't bio-engineered by the Chinese. If I had to guess, this didn't originate in a Wuhan market, but in a Wuhan laboratory.

Uhm...the scientific community is not saying so, in fact they haven't enough informations yet.
Do you have any source?

Yes, I thought it was the case but I still don't understand why.
After a hurricane, earthquake, flood and so on, do you know episodes where people assaulted other families to steal their supplies?
I'm not saying a single case, it can happen everywhere, I'm saying several recorded episodes where police/army were ineffective.
Said that I don't want to argue against your decision, just wondering :smile2:

It's crazy what kind of a difference a single day can do. Buy while you still can.

Here we can find some useful hints, in fact if you wear it for everyday activities you are wasting the mask. Moreover we have to look what medical stuff is using, some of the normal masks are useless anyway.

Ubu_roi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jul 24, 2018
Europe
On a side note, if you haven't this would be the perfect time to read "The Stand" by Stephen King: I think it's his masterpiece. Obviously it's about a virus, but I won't tell more than that.

I believe we should be able to laugh (almost) about anything, so I hope I won't be offending anyone posting my favourite line of these days:

"Achoo" is the new "Allah Akbar"!

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
After a hurricane, earthquake, flood and so on, do you know episodes where people assaulted other families to steal their supplies?
Families get assaulted all the time -- during emergencies, before emergencies, after emergencies, or when there's no emergency at all. A lot of it depends on where you live. But in times of desperation, it's reasonable to anticipate that desperate people will roam farther.

Plus, look at the L.A. riots or some of the stuff that happened during Hurricane Katrina, and I think you'll get a better sense of what can happen during times of crisis.

Edit to add: See, here in America, the criminals have guns. Even if I were anti-gun (which I'm not), I'd want to have a gun, if only because the bad guys do.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I agree, Italian stocks is around 6% down but it will be a worldwide effect, all markets are somehow related to each others.

This is not correct, towns not regions, at the moment they are 11 for around 50000 citizens.

Uhm...the scientific community is not saying so, in fact they haven't enough informations yet.
Do you have any source?

Yes, I thought it was the case but I still don't understand why.
I'm not saying a single case, it can happen everywhere, I'm saying several recorded episodes where police/army were ineffective.
Said that I don't want to argue against your decision, just wondering :smile2:

Here we can find some useful hints, in fact if you wear it for everyday activities you are wasting the mask. Moreover we have to look what medical stuff is using, some of the normal masks are useless anyway.

New Chinese study indicates novel coronavirus did not originate in Huanan seafood market - Global Times

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that it originated in the city with China's only bioweapons lab. It's totally impossible that someone accidentally infected themselves, and then went to the market and spread the disease there.

As far as violence after a natural disaster, yeah, learn something about hurricane Katrina. Or the Rodney King riots, or any other examples of violence. I

Besides that, please confront your normalcy bias. This is quite possibly a once in a century event. The military and police will be just as susceptible as the population. If this thing really gets rolling, there could be a complete breakdown of social order.

Or it could just fizzle out. I don't have a crystal ball. The cost of preparing for a breakdown is relatively low (just accelerating some food and ammo purchases), whereas the cost of doing nothing is quite literally everything.

AlessandroD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Feb 20, 2020
Italy
Edit to add: See, here in America, the criminals have guns. Even if I were anti-gun (which I'm not), I'd want to have a gun, if only because the bad guys do.

Even in Italy bad guys have guns but still we don't buy weapons in mass, in other nations is the same. Anyhow I understand is an American thing and your reasons behind the stockpiling.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that it originated in the city with China's only bioweapons lab. It's totally impossible that someone accidentally infected themselves, and then went to the market and spread the disease there.

This article is without any source and no evidence about China lab.
Take a look at this article if you have time, scientists from several countries who have studied SARS-CoV-2 overwhelmingly conclude that the coronavirus originated in wildlife, there are the names and the references.
Then you can still disagree but with a better knowledge.
Again I'm not saying that you are wrong, everything is possible, but if I want to understand something better I search in the right places :smile2:

ShepardHumphries

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 5, 2020

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
If the US government is warning about it, and if major mainstream press is also worried about it, at least that is SOME relief ...lol. I hope a trusted source like this one gives us an update soon: How Worried Should You Be About the Wuhan Coronavirus?
Alas, that article is nearly a month old. Below is the lead sentence, updated with new numbers. (This assumes that the Chinese government is telling the truth, btw.)

"Some 2,800 79,737 people have been infected and 81 2,628 have been killed by the new coronavirus that began spreading..."

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Anyone know what happened to the John Hopkins virus tracker? It no longer works for me.

Asks for login. As if the public can no longer have access to the data.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Painting masks and exterminator masks will also work, anything with an oily suspension to catch particles should work better than a fabric mask anyway. Youll look funny but will probably work better than a surgical mask you see everyone wearing. Anything above N95 is good.

Also buying a biowarfare mask from a military surplus store might be a good idea.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
It seems that infections per day are decreasing in China.
It looks like things are sort of stabilizing, but are they really? Who knows if the numbers are accurate or if they have been fudged.

PeterKN

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 1, 2019
Why are so many people freaking out about corona? More people get murdered in the US in 2020 than people died worldwide from corona... If you compare it to the number of people that died in car accidents, alcohol or cigarettes are way higher...

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Why are so many people freaking out about corona? More people get murdered in the US in 2020 than people died worldwide from corona... If you compare it to the number of people that died in car accidents, alcohol or cigarettes are way higher...
I dont particularly fear corona.....I fear humans and society.

andrewsyc

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Aug 14, 2017
Iowa
I know a lot of people source their goods from China but this whole fiasco (and other things I've recently learned of China) have made me incredibly cynical on almost everything going on in the country with the CCP and their motives.

Their social credit system, absolute draconian measures to maintain power.
This Coronavirus may destroy China depending on how bad it gets.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.