The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why so many people choose the Slowlane

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
of course you going to slowlane cause you need money asap

Someone who has a job doesn't make them "Slowlane."

The Slowlane is a life philosophy of jobs, dependence, and stock market hopes... taking a job temporarily to make ends meet while grinding your entrepreneurial vision is not Slowlane, it is Fastlane.

Surprised I have to continually reiterate this years later, but I still do.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Absolutely - I agree with what he says that people "fear losses". In sales, especially (I can't remember where I learned this concept), many people get it wrong where they try to sell some sort of GAIN, rather than a potential loss.

IE: If you don't use this product you could lose "X". Fear of loss is so deep on an unconscious level that people don't even realize how much it affects them. Fear of loss, and overestimating that loss, is what keeps people from leaving the slowlane.

Bon Appetit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jan 19, 2018
Paris, France
I think human nature might dictate this behavior.

Daniel Kahneman, a psychologist who work on the psychology of judgment and decision making, has developed the Prospect Theory, which suggest that people are RISK AVERSE when it comes to gains.

Here a video that explain the theory:
View: https://youtu.be/z0swroHelYk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bon Appetit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jan 19, 2018
Paris, France
Yes, people prefer to be certain to have a monthly paycheck from a 9-5 job, even if the expected value is miserable, than taking risk as an entrepreneur.

Risk averse.

Fpm9

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 27, 2017
Paris
Yes, people prefer to be certain to have a monthly paycheck from a 9-5 job, even if the expected value is miserable, than taking risk as an entrepreneur.

Risk averse.

I think risks are higher when you work the average 9-5 job if you take into account the opportunity cost.

And I'd rather risk losing some money than risk losing 40 years of my life.

justonemore

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 19, 2017
NewYork
My guess to this is that most(?) people try some sort of side gig at some point in their life.

For reason X, it doesn't work and they determine it's unrealistic and that a 9-5 is more sure fire.

There's no thread here where people post right before they give up on the fast lane. This creates a bias in the data you see.

The big question to me is what is X, and how to avoid it/overcome it.

Thetaker24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jun 27, 2016
sometimes you can't playing entrepreneur only and expect to earn money with what you want to do, because it takes time. sometimes there are bills to pay and sick people you need to take care of. ofcourse you going to slowlane cause you need money asap. we do not always have a choice unfortunately...

The EL Maven

No longer life's passenger
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Dec 3, 2015
My best guess is because it's easy, and the more money you make, the easier it is.

I don't mean it's actually easy, just that it's relatively easy. For instance, a person goes on some interviews and finally lands a job. The harder it was to get, the less likely the employee will want to quit. Next, they show up, punch the clock, endure some level of stress along with some level of camaraderie, and then they get a pay check. It's operant conditioning at its best.

The converse is to risk and then not even know if there will be a carrot at the end.

I had a mentor in the restaurant business. He owned several sports bar type of places, many of you would recognize the brand(s) if I named them. When I started having questions about actual operations, he put me in touch with one of his regional managers. I'll never forget what the regional manager said to me during one of our sit downs "I don't know why anyone would want to be an owner. I make $200k and have money for vacations. The poor firefighter grinds it out non stop without money to go on a nice vacation. I've also seen dozens of owners go broke. Why go through all that?"

When my mentor sold off his stores to a partner, it wasn't the regional manager who took his family for a year long visit to Italy.

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
I think human nature might dictate this behavior.

Daniel Kahneman, a psychologist who work on the psychology of judgment and decision making, has developed the Prospect Theory, which suggest that people are RISK AVERSE when it comes to gains.

Here a video that explain the theory:
View: https://youtu.be/z0swroHelYk
Because their parents intoxicated their brains with slowlane.

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Someone who has a job doesn't make them "Slowlane."

The Slowlane is a life philosophy of jobs, dependence, and stock market hopes... taking a job temporarily to make ends meet while grinding your entrepreneurial vision is not Slowlane, it is Fastlane.

Surprised I have to continually reiterate this years later, but I still do.
It is good, that you mentioned this.

Your book is effectively an emerald.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.