The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why Most People Are Idiots and Live Like They Will Never Die

Anything related to matters of the mind

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
loved it and shared it!

(ps...those are 2 of my favorite movies too, although I have a pretty large list of movies I love lol)

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Titanic and Notebook?! LOL just kidding. Great video and I agree with all the points in the video. The Titanic reference really got me thinking and it's funny because people do assume that they can buy themselves out of the inevitable. Time is definitely valuable, yet it's so easy to waste.

My favorite line of the month: "Most people would reject a job that pays $1.59 per hour and yet, when it comes to wasting time for stuff that doesn’t matter, everyone values their free time at just that, FREE, or virtually worthless." WELL SAID!

hekks

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 2, 2011
Chicago
This is what I hate most about driving 30-40min to AND from school everyday, in addition to 30min to AND from work each day. About 2 hours per day spent battling a league of morons on the IL expressways! I guess it's a good thing I have some constructive/instructive audio books to listen to.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I kind of came up with a "its not worth my time" method of decision making.

For example:

An average of 3 guys come and spend 30 minutes on my lawn for 25 bucks. That is about 17 dollars an hour.

Anyone that is worth more than 17 dollars per hour is wasting their time mowing their lawn. Plus it would take me 3 times as long.

If you make less than that it may be a productive use of your time.

(I just sold my lawn equipment to a pawn shop a week ago) :rofl: It felt good..... Ill never mow my own lawn again.

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
Thanks for the reminder MJ.

Yes, Notebook.. I swear every time I watch that film with my wife, there's dust in the air, or something.

Cheers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
except that when i need money to start a business, i need to spend my time

Then your spent time would better be classified as an investment. Wasting 1 hour on a 1.59 hamburger wastes time, not to mention probably cuts a few minutes off your life as well with the cholesterol, fat, and other BS in ground beef.

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
i do this exact same thing!

except that when i need money to start a business, i need to spend my time

Of course, and you may spend an exuberant amount of time in the beginning. One of my favorite things MJ talks about is the process. Everyone sees the event, but no one knows what the process was or is to get to the event. The event to me isn't about money..............its about the free time I have as a result of the process. Although I did not sell my business as MJ did, and still over see the day to day operations, I spend no more than 10 to 20 hours a week and my ROI isn't just the money, its about the time I have left over while I'm still generating income. I can work for anywhere, leave anytime and go wherever I want, whenever I want, with the exception of being here for my kids when they are with me.

Lately that extra time has turned into creating another process................when I get to the event I hope to have 2 income streams that give me more time and then I can repeat the process again or not. Maybe I'll sell one of them. Maybe I'll sell both, Maybe I'll keep both and start another. How we choose to spend our time varies from person to person.

One thing I have learned is not to put your focus on to many different things at once. Commit to one thing, and get it making you the money you need it to make so that you can get the free time you need and from there you can concentrate and focus on the next venture if that is what you choose to do. The best part is, once you have that free time its your to do with whatever you want.

After he sold his company, MJ spent the next 3 years and wrote a book and now sits out back of his place and makes videos and even though we touch base every once or so a week and again and catch up, I still find these videos and his posts useful. I love the fact that he has a beer and his feet up (it looked like a corona, lol)

Until this new venture I'm on, I was choosing to spend my time sleeping in a little later than usual during the week..............working from home and just being home and staying involved with my kids. Just my presence alone makes a huge difference to them. I think of how many kids don't have the privilege of their parents being home when they get home from school. I'm home almost every day when my son gets home from school. I may be working, but I'm here.

Webebe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Nov 20, 2015
Sweden
I remember in high school I asked my classmates what they thought LIFE was. They had a lot of different answers, only one of them said what I was thinking:
TIME.
And there is one significant problem with life.
It is short.
And you never know when it ends. Would to be optimal to live at least 300 years. The world would look totally different, we would protect nature, and respect the resources of the Earth.

Waiting in the line the get free stuff definitely does not make one rich, or free. But most of them do not want to be.

Thanks for the video!

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
What did MJ share? I can't see anything now...

ExCubeCommando

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Oct 10, 2015
Evans, Colorado

Funny. This reminds me of the recent opening of Trader Joe's in Denver. Holy crap, they open one of 3 Colorado locations on one of, if not the busiest streets in Denver; Colorado Blvd. It was a cluster of idiots just like what you described, and I was slowed down by all the traffic when I was going from one customer site to another in that area.

Oh, and talk about fun times. on April 20th of this year, they held a pot rally at Lincoln Park in downtown Denver. I had a new customer I had to see that day to make a pickup, and I was too busy and forgot what was planned for the day before I left home. Naturally, the customer's office was located nearby. Just about 2 blocks from the park! Once I got to the area, I had to drive super slow with my head constantly turning like an owl's to avoid hitting some oblivious stoners crossing the streets everywhere. I was quickly reminded of my error of bad timing. When I got to the customer's office, the front office lady and I were joking and laughing about the event and wondering if these people were even employed where they could take the day off to go to the park and get stoned all day!

Thanks for the video!

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Lol I'm the idiot, just realized where the link was last night.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.