• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Why is it that I can passionately work for clients or employers but never myself

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by Tobore, Nov 9, 2018 at 4:52 AM.

1. Tobore

Tobore Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,165
    I've been plagued by this for as long as I can remember.

I've noticed over time that whenever I take on a client's project or work a JOB, I give it my all...and possibly get into states people call "flow".

But this is never the case on a personal "Fastlane" project. I find that I'm detached to a point where I procrastinate or do something else.

This is a serious issue that has led to the abandonment of several brilliant projects.

Is this a problem with motivation, discipline or mindset? Does anyone else feel this way? How do I hold my mind still and have conviction in what I'm building?

PS: I have a strong enough WHY...and not cut out to be on Slowlane...to the best of my knowledge.

jasoncuellar123 and MustImprove like this.
  2. lowtek

lowtek Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $21,156
    Here's a different question to consider: how can you better monetize your natural tendency to exhibit ownership when working on other peoples' projects?

3. AlexanderCM

AlexanderCM Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $82
    It seems like you are having some deeper unconscious issues. Technically you are right about it being a mindset issue, to a point.

The problem is with the things that drive your mindset and behavior. Beliefs, values, emotional baggage, habits, etc. What is different, INTERNALLY, when you are working on a client project vs. your fastlane project?

I actually help people with this every day, it's what my business is focused on. I'd love to hop on a call with you and help you resolve at least part of the issue. I'm always up to help out the guys and gals on the forum!

Let me know!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

4. Startup Steve

Startup Steve Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $332
    As a child pretty much every adult in my life failed me. Particularly at an age where I could not provide for and protect myself. I couldn't understand why adults weren't motivated.

I see it as a moral obligation for people to maximize their full potential.

I have instilled in my homeschool boys that as men their primary role is to provide and protect first for themselves, than for their spouses, and eventually children. Then with abundance, you help others.

Get excited to gather lots of resources to you can help more people. You may think it to be entirely selfless. It's not. Experiencing gratitude from others is addictive.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 7:19 AM
    jon.M and jasoncuellar123 like this.
  5. sparechange

sparechange Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,602
    Instant gratification of a paycheck

At my job i can mess around and know I'm getting paid in the next 2 weeks,

With my business I don't know if I'll make money today or tomorrow.

Sounds like your feedback loop hasn't been hit hard enough, when you make your first sale generally you want more and more.

Dramolion likes this.
  6. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,458
    ive struggled with this for awhile especially considering that im not personally interested in some products im creating.

What helps me is to think in terms of WHO im making the product for. For example, im working on a big makeover update for a very casual type app game right now. I personally dont really play these types of games. But there's this 19 year old kid at my job who really sees the potential in that game but has very clear complaints and suggestions for the app.

So i say to myself, ok ima make this app JUST FOR HIM. If that one single dude 100% loves the app, what are the chances there are more people like him out there, a market basically.

The point is your personal fastlane project is work you're doing for your market(clients).

Dramolion, jon.M and sparechange like this.
  7. sparechange

sparechange Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,602

This is actually a really good mindset to have, ''impact the world'' mentality

ZF Lee and luniac like this.
  8. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,458
    I've also struggled with "why bother impacting the world" mentality. but thats a whole other can of worms lol

ZF Lee and sparechange like this.