The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why import from China? When you can export to China!

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
Hey guys, haven't posted for awhile been busy trying to build my business.

But anyway, thought I would share an idea to the community that's been on my mind lately. So, living here in Hong Kong I see a REALLY BIG need from consumers in mainland China.

As you already know, China is pretty much the land of manufacturing, and they manufacture "fakes" of anything you can imagine. SOO fake that the people in mainland China have lost trust their own products.Since Hong Kong was once a British colony and still runs in a different government system, we are somewhat considered foreigners and products here are "Authentic", even though we are just a boarder away from each other.

On a daily basis swarms on mainland consumers travel down to Hong Kong to purchase authentic goods, as you can see in these pictures... yes, they are lining up to buy Chanel and LV bags :confused:. I see this a lot in the City.
lv-line.jpgU165P5029T2D561585F24DT20130216105703.jpg

They purchase so many things from here that the HK Government recently set a new limit of goods they can bring back to mainland, they were basically buying up all the baby milk powders and driving the prices insanely high, causing local Hongers unable to afford any.

So what am I trying to say?

I'm saying there is a HUGE market with spending power desperate for goods manufactured outside of China! And if you havn't noticed, online retailing is growing massively there. Websites such as toaboa.com which is pretty much the ebay of China has a lot of money to be made right now!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ikke

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 20, 2012
Netherlands
I know there are dutch companies exporting ship loads of dried diary products to china. Products such as baby milk and the sorts. And there is a lot of money to be made, but the import process into china seems to be much more difficult (and costly) than most other countries.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Nice to hear a perspective like this from someone living there. ;)

A while back, I picked up this book at the dollar store (of all places), which I guess covers a lot of what you're talking about here. It's sitting on my bookshelf awaiting a read..
400000000000000053689_s4.jpg

Amazon.com: All the Tea in China: How to Buy, Sell, and Make Money on the Mainland (9781591841593): Jeremy Haft: Books

toaboa.com looks interesting.

How is the economic climate in China for middle class families? I'd love to learn more about their buying power, habits, typical preferred payment methods, etc.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I know there are dutch companies exporting ship loads of dried diary products to china. Products such as baby milk and the sorts. And there is a lot of money to be made, but the import process into china seems to be much more difficult (and costly) than most other countries.

Higher barrier to entry = Even more money to be made for those who go the extra mile. :)

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I believe there are huge opportunities importing into China and other "emerging" countries. This has been something that's been in the back of mind for a while. Especially for countries with a growing/emerging upper-middle class. Products such as mid-range to high end wines from California, etc. are a growing market in some countries.

Opportunity abounds...

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I've exported some food in the past to far east, the rule books are literally 5inches thick. Talking about barriers to entry!

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
How is the economic climate in China for middle class families? I'd love to learn more about their buying power, habits, typical preferred payment methods, etc.

I'm not sure bout the people living under the poverty line, but there are definitely alot of them behind the scenes making this whole system work. But Middle n Upper class are acquiring alot of wealth through selling land (farm land & village lands are abundant there), owning successful resource business, manufacturing business, factories, restaurant chains, government corruption...etc.

And they LOVE to spend, they just got out of communist regime in 1987, before that EVERYTHING was owned by the Government... they are just having a taste of materialism and capitalism now n they are loving it. I'm not sure about their payment methods, but they pay online using credit cards as well as cash payment on deliver which is also popular.

I believe there are huge opportunities importing into China and other "emerging" countries. This has been something that's been in the back of mind for a while. Especially for countries with a growing/emerging upper-middle class. Products such as mid-range to high end wines from California, etc. are a growing market in some countries.

Opportunity abounds...

Sounds about right Jason, I actually know someone selling high end wine from England just off toaboa and is making good coin!

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Wow.... look at all them slow laners wanting to buy a $500 brand bag that costs $20 to produce. Suckers.....

China's aspiring middle class is growing by the millions each and every year.... and they got a lot of cash to spend!

Thanks OP for the reminder!

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Why did this thread die in 2013? Great idea!

I am currently trying out ways of executing this idea efficiently with products made in Germany. If anyone has any tips, please reach out or let me know :)

Best

paulmp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
407%
Jul 1, 2017
Western Australia
I'm saying there is a HUGE market with spending power desperate for goods manufactured outside of China! And if you havn't noticed, online retailing is growing massively there. Websites such as toaboa.com which is pretty much the ebay of China has a lot of money to be made right now!!

There are a few of us working on something along those lines, some of the red tape is difficult, but will be worth the effort in the long run.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.