The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why Haven't You Started?

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
A general question to those of you who WANT to start, who feel they should start, but things just keep getting in the way of success.

What is it?

Family? Fear? Lack of information? Too much information? Environment? Previous failure? No direction? No ideas? Lack of confidence?

Let's talk about that. I want to see where your limitations are, what's stopping you, what's blocking you.
Feel free to use this space to let your hair down a bit, especially if you haven't yet started.

((A NOTE TO TFF VETERANS: We have the rest of the forum to challenge, give kicks in the pants, and call out BS. This thread isn't the place for that.

Identifying and realizing fears is the first step towards overcoming them. If people think they'll be called out right here they won't be honest with themselves. Let the a$$ kicking come later. Please let this single thread be a sanctuary so we can learn a bit.))

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Fear, lack of information, lack of confidence. I have my little invention pictured in my head. I even have some of the parts for a prototype, but there is one last part that doesn't exist. And even if i knew where to get this final part, I think the fear and lack of confidence would stop me. Who am I to challenge the guys that built other similar products, but they all seemed to overlook PORTABILITY. Since I am out in the field and have went looking for this product that doesn't exist, I would think that I know a thing or two about it. But I'm probably just kidding myself.

Anyway, thats what stops me.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Fear, lack of information, lack of confidence. I have my little invention pictured in my head. I even have some of the parts for a prototype, but there is one last part that doesn't exist. And even if i knew where to get this final part, I think the fear and lack of confidence would stop me. Who am I to challenge the guys that built other similar products, but they all seemed to overlook PORTABILITY. Since I am out in the field and have went looking for this product that doesn't exist, I would think that I know a thing or two about it. But I'm probably just kidding myself.

Anyway, thats what stops me.

Thanks for responding :)

So basically you've got this idea that should work "IN THEORY" but you've hit a few road bumps. Some things aren't coming super easy to you and the lack of a concrete "This 100% WILL WORK" keeps you from dedicating more time/resources/pushing harder through the doubts and problems.

Did I paraphrase your issues pretty well?

Razdaz87

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 20, 2014
I would say what's holding me back is too much information, lack of idea and lack of confidence. There is so much information out there, even here on the forum, and I feel it sometimes paralyzes me in actually starting. This one said this, but that one said that, and sometimes it can get overwhelming. So that feeds into me not having an idea. I know there are a lot of ways to get an idea, but for some reason whenever I think of one, I feel in my head that it won't work, or it's stupid, or someone else is already doing it. So then that feeds into my lack of confidence. I feel like maybe I'm not smart or creative enough to provide value to people. It makes me feel that I will always be stuck where I am, and that progress will take way too long, if it comes at all.

100000MIL

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 30, 2014
Hi, I'm new here. :shy:

There are several things holding me back. Some of them are...

- Sometimes I think that my ideas are too grand for little ol' me.
For example, I had this incredible idea last year for an app (or website) that would change the game. However, this idea of mine was pretty complex; I had no idea how to design the type of app/website I was going for, no money (or credit) to pay someone to design it for me (I didn't even know this was an option at the time actually), and it would have involved other peoples' money/investments and I really had zero idea how to get backed by banks or whatever it would have required. Last month, I came across an app called Acorn that is slightly similar to what I was going for (my idea was actually even bigger than what Acorn offers, but just so you can have an idea).

- I'm afraid of wasting my time.
I have so many different ideas that vary greatly from one another and I'm afraid that I'll pursue the wrong thing. I don't want to waste "the best years of my life" on XYZ and years down the road regret it and wish I had pursued ABC instead.

- Lack of support/direction.
Over the last 3 years I've isolated myself from people so much. It's odd, I'm a suuuuuper outgoing and friendly people person but I have no friends (by choice at one point, now I don't even know). I have an extremely(!) hard time trusting people and I value my privacy immensely. All this being said, I don't really talk to anybody on a personal level and the very few people that I have shared my ideas with responded with something like "great idea, go for it" AKA not much help at all.

- I can't commit to one idea.
I have so many different interests (and talents, if I may be so bold), that it's difficult to narrow it down. I can think of 10 different ideas but they are all over the spectrum (based on my interests/talents) and I don't know how to pick.

Last edited:

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
There is so much information out there, even here on the forum, and I feel it sometimes paralyzes me in actually starting. This one said this, but that one said that, and sometimes it can get overwhelming. So that feeds into me not having an idea.

Wow, yeah, this is a MAJOR setback and a HUGE downfall to people starting out.
Sometimes the information overload affects us in multiple ways and like you said, one problem can bleed into another.

Sometimes I think that my ideas are too grand for little ol' me.
For example, I had this incredible idea last year for an app (or website) that would change the game. However, this idea of mine was pretty complex; I had no idea how to design the type of app/website I was going for, no money (or credit) to pay someone to design it for me (I didn't even know this was an option at the time actually), and it would have involved other peoples' money/investments and I really had zero idea how to get backed by banks or whatever it would have required. Last month, I came across an app called Acorn that is slightly similar to what I was going for (my idea was actually even bigger than what Acorn offers, but just so you can have an idea).

- I'm afraid of wasting my time.
I have so many different ideas that vary greatly from one another and I'm afraid that I'll pursue the wrong thing. I don't want to waste "the best years of my life" on XYZ and years down the road regret it and wish I had pursued ABC instead. I'm 22, by the way.

- Lack of support/direction.
Over the last 3 years I've isolated myself from people so much. It's odd, I'm a suuuuuper outgoing and friendly people person but I have no friends (by choice at one point, now I don't even know). I have an extremely(!) hard time trusting people and I value my privacy immensely. All this being said, I don't really talk to anybody on a personal level and the very few people that I have shared my ideas with responded with something like "great idea, go for it" AKA not much help at all.

- I can't commit to one idea.
I have so many different interests (and talents, if I may be so bold), that it's difficult to narrow it down. I can think of 10 different ideas but they are all over the spectrum (based on my interests/talents) and I don't know how to pick.

I've def. suffered from your first issue. A lack of confidence, not really knowing "what's possible" to somebody who is starting with NOTHING. I think I ended up overcoming that through a constant feed of success stories via podcasts and books. Seeing other people in a similar situation to me overcome similar issues helped SO MUCH.

Some personality types (mine included, ENTP here) suffer from the too-many-ideas disease... where if you commit to one you feel like you're missing out on the others and as a result it's hard to stay on one idea for an extended period of time. I totally feel you there.

In any case welcome to the forums, good to have you here.

Myron van Yolo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Nov 2, 2014
Europe
I read TMF few months ago. Since then I read xy books, before I didn't read much and didn't care about money. I'm just 22, no experience and all that biz stuff is new to me. I wanna learn as much as I can now, I feel like starting something now would be stupid. I just wanna educate myself now.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
It was a mix between analysis paralysis and a constant need to learn more. I've been doing ebooks for a few months now, but want to expand. I think that's another thing holding me back, instead of putting 100% effort into the marketing of the books, I spend more time browsing Udemy courses and YouTube videos or learning how to do X and Y at the same time. My focus is scattered, so instead of it taking 4 weeks to learn 1 skill, I try to learn 6 skills at once and never learn any.

I bit the bullet a few hours ago and finally bought a domain name and hosting, now I need to get to work. The website is still under construction of course, but it will be up.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
LAZINESS! That's my biggest problem. Lack of proper time management. Between a full time slow lane job with lots of overtime and a family I need to better manage my time. Lack of confidence and lack of concentration. Sometimes I will sit down ready to rock and then find myself reading meaningless stuff or browsing Facebook. End up getting nothing done.

No excuses, just need to get my a$$ in gear

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
Just don't have an idea that I'm confident enough to dedicate my spare time to yet. Doing the notepad thing to gather up some, but nothing is really popping out at me yet. It's over analysis and second guessing at it's best. :(

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
After reading Charnell's post I wanted to add that I also have the problem of trying to get involved with or learn too many things at once. I need to better focus on one thing.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
There is so much information out there, even here on the forum, and I feel it sometimes paralyzes me in actually starting
This is a big one.

@DennisDuty , I would say I'm a perfectionist to the point where it paralyzes me. I can have the simplest little idea/business but I just can't go forward until every. little. tiny. detail is done exactly right. I try to say "F*ck it! I know I have to get over this issue that is holding me back" but it's like I'm ocd with the details.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I feel like starting something now would be stupid. I just wanna educate myself now.
Totes. We feel like we need a grasp on things, what things are, how they work, etc. before we start trying to break them down and re engineer them. At the beggining of the journey, you're always the most knowledge hungry.

Even so, there are a TON of subniches and you must be finding yourself leaning one way or another. What interests you the most right now?

. My focus is scattered, so instead of it taking 4 weeks to learn 1 skill, I try to learn 6 skills at once and never learn any.
Must be one of the biggest problems today. Sometimes it feels like you'd have better luck rolling dice to decide everything for you. (Might make an interesting case study, actually... starting a business D&D style)

I need to better manage my time. Lack of confidence and lack of concentration.
The things that typically motivate ME are strange, out of place, don't fit the norms of what motivate other people. I've found that my EGO and sense of self-importance actually is a driving force behind my motivation. Many list such things as a personal downfall, but I've found a way to twist it on it's head and use it to get more work done.

It sounds like you don't get a ton of downtime for the introspection that leads to figuring this sorta stuff out for yourself. Job+Family+Side projects+Day-to-day maintenance take a mental toll. Sometimes gotta find the 30 mins a day to just Zen out.

Just don't have an idea that I'm confident enough to dedicate my spare time to yet. Doing the notepad thing to gather up some, but nothing is really popping out at me yet. It's over analysis and second guessing at it's best. :(
Remind me of what the notepad thing is?

I would say I'm a perfectionist to the point where it paralyzes me. I can have the simplest little idea/business but I just can't go forward until every. little. tiny. detail is done exactly right. I try to say "F*ck it! I know I have to get over this issue that is holding me back" but it's like I'm ocd with the details.

How do you perform under restricted timeframes? Does this impact your perfectionism and force pragmatism or no?

EDIT: F*ck, just reread this post.

I hope it doesn't come off like I'm a white knight being TOO sympathetic and jumping in trying to give unwanted advice like I'm the shiz. I'm just feeling in a chatty mood and am legit interested. :-D

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
Last edited by a moderator:

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Phoenix, AZ ( Ahwatukee )
EDIT: F*ck, just reread this post.

I hope it doesn't come off like I'm a white knight being TOO sympathetic and jumping in trying to give unwanted advice like I'm the shiz. I'm just feeling in a chatty mood and am legit interested. :-D

Don't think it comes across that way at all, comes across as someone actually trying to help those that are encountering hurdles.

To everyone else, A common theme I've read is the information overload. I wish I could say that becomes easier at some point, it doesn't. The advice I can offer in this area is what I have learned to do. I give myself hard deadlines for making important decisions and only dive deep enough to have about a 60% understanding of any given topic, This is just enough to talk to an expert intelligently and let them help guide your decision.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
So basically you've got this idea that should work "IN THEORY" but you've hit a few road bumps. Some things aren't coming super easy to you and the lack of a concrete "This 100% WILL WORK" keeps you from dedicating more time/resources/pushing harder through the doubts and problems.

Did I paraphrase your issues pretty well?
My idea would absolutely work. Its one of those ideas that was, in my opinion, overlooked by the big players. Portability being the #1 thing that was overlooked. So simple, its ridiculous. My hang ups are more "will the market find my product as valuable as I would find it if it were available?" and "how in the world do I get my FUNCTIONAL prototype built?". I am fearful of going through all the effort and money to get a product together and then find that the market really doesn't place as much value on the product as I do.

King Clan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 2, 2014
I hold myself back with my lack of confidence. I've found that I really only go for something when the result is close to 100% guaranteed. My balls are in a vice grip, but more importantly I haven't put in the effort. I am currently a student and the big thing that has been hold me back is a successful work ethic. I am still in a phase of my life where my future and goals are not clear. I have a great deal of trouble jumping into assignments that I need to get done. I wait for the day that these problems go away, but how do I get rid of them? As a young person please lend me some wisdom. And what are the first steps that I need to take as I begin my journey?

Option

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Nov 22, 2013
Netherlands
I would say fear.
And as a consequence a smaller comfort zone or negative believes reinforcing itself.

Fear caused by being pampered. By not being able to rely on myself.
The pampering of a semi-comfortable sidewalker life in a rich country.

An abundance of relaxing activities, (social) fun, distraction, information overload, food, sex, gambling and party's.
Short term gratification over long term gratification.

Dopamine addiction:
"If you are addicted, then apparently you are not addicted to the substances and activities you crave, nor to the nicotine of cigarette smoke, the thrill of the roulette wheel, the gratification of sex, nor to the feelings of power. You are, in fact, addicted to the dopamine and its effects. From this notion, it seems obvious that one could imagine addiction in every single walk of life, not just the common addictions with which so many people are familiar: alcohol, nicotine, heroin, gambling, sex, even chocolate, to recap from an earlier issue of the magazine. But, also to those behaviors that give their actors the dopamine reward, whether that's the quest for ever greater riches way beyond any individual's personal needs, political and other forms of power, religious ardor even, and the global problems they have wrought throughout the centuries. They all come back to that rewarding neurotransmitter. In some sense, it all reduces to that small molecule, that dopamine."
~ http://www.chemistryviews.org/detai...e_be_the_Most_Evil_Chemical_in_the_World.html

http://dopamineproject.org/2013/01/...teem-addicts-are-more-dangerous-than-junkies/

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Because I still want to travel around the world a bit before settling down and focusing on a business.

Salem

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 25, 2014
Spain
My focus is scattered, so instead of it taking 4 weeks to learn 1 skill, I try to learn 6 skills at once and never learn any.
I have the same problem. I'm trying to learn everything, I can't stay focused on 1 thing for more than 1 month. I feel like I need to try everything, and that's my biggest problem.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I have the same problem. I'm trying to learn everything, I can't stay focused on 1 thing for more than 1 month. I feel like I need to try everything, and that's my biggest problem.
Unfortunately, even the stuff I'm proficient in I still read the same things over and over, hoping to find some hidden secret I never thought of.

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
First of all, I am a Greek living in Greece, a country that for the last years it has been in an economic crisis. I don't actually believe that we are still in a crisis but that makes people really stingy with their expenses. The only markets that seem to bloom are fast food shops, bars, coffee shops etc. I am in the Fitness industry (personal trainer) and although I increased my income by more than 100% since last year, working half the time, I am still not in a Fastlane and I feel bad for not respecting the principle of Time and Scale.

My biggest obstacles are lack of an idea and information. My ideas seem to resolve around Fitness and I have not started thinking like a producer in other industries. If I have an idea not related to fitness, most of the times it's a website but I am not sure how much is it gonna cost, how much time of my time is needed etc etc.

Franky Neizer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
May 18, 2014
Accra
Too much information and lack of finance is what's holding me back; I have a great idea backed by a good business plan but whenever I read articles regarding my product and it's current share on the market, which often is on the negative side, it often paralyzes my confidence level and I have to go to the idea board and keep improving upon it. It's been a long time coming and I haven't been able to reach the required start up capital because on paper it tends to rise and fall anytime I make changes.
I've read countless similar start up articles which became successful though their ideas were less improved before they launched; what I need to do now is to stick to what I have now because I believe it's going to achieve success on the market. Been running around in circles for so long, I need to get off my a$$ and make it happen this time...

D

DeletedUser12

I cannot leave behind the idea that I have to be passionate about my business. I am constantly searching for something that I am passionate about, and that can also make money. Letting that idea go is very hard for me.

poro78

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 23, 2012
Finland
Fear, lack of information, too much information, environment, no direction, no ideas, lack of confidence... All of these.
Oh boy, this will be long one. I've got soooo many reasons why I haven't started.

Fear & environment.
I live in a country with high taxes, high costs, small population and "too good" unemployment benefits.
Starting a business would mean that I would lose my benefits and would need to earn about 3 times more money to get the same amount of cash I now get. Stupid system that forces people to tolerate laziness really annoys the crap out of me.
At the moment we're barely getting all the bills paid and food to the family with my benefits and wife's paycheck - taking a leap into the dark without any good ideas or skills that bring people value is too much of a risk at the moment.
And because our financial situation is what it is, I don't have much money to invest, making things more difficult.

Information.
Both lacking and getting too much information are the problems.
I know something here and there (all I've ever done has been odd jobs here and there. Warehouse work, customer service and office work.)

No direction or ideas & lack of confidence.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a heavy metal singer, an actor, a cartoonist or a writer - but I was too shy to pursue these dreams.
Later I thought that computers would be a career to me but during a year long hardware/software course, I started to think that all the others in my class are much better in programming than I am and I didn't enjoy the hardware based stuff. Got my diploma away and my ex-girlfriend made me apply to the university - where I got even worse with my lack of confidence, university was totally wrong place for me.
Dropped out couple years later after poor results and buried the dreams of IT career once and for all.
After that it's just been couple months of work here and couple months there, paused by stints of unemployment and studies (got a customer sales diploma and accounting & office services diploma).

On top of these things I'm also introverted and shy by nature, I'm really prone to analysis paralysis and I hate talking (writing is fine), though I can force myself into "people's person mode" when working, but it's really tiring.
And of course I tend to overthink my ideas to death, if I ever get any. :D

But if I manage to get over these obstacles, nothing will stop me. ;)

superb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Sep 8, 2013
I know all of these come from having unrealistic ideas, but they are what I have struggled with:

Confidence in knowing that I am pursuing my life purpose (whatever that's supposed to mean..)

Indecision about what business idea would allow me to escape my slowlane job the fastest.

A desire to pursue being a musician and a desire to build a fastlane business. These two seem mutually exclusive! Or, thinking I don't have time to do both...

I just realized that all of these things are about me. Damn I'm selfish!

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Because I still want to travel around the world a bit before settling down and focusing on a business.

If you get a chance, listen to the TropicalMBA guys, Dan and Ian. Killer material and being a loaded digital nomadic business owner. IF you enjoy traveling and haven't checked them out, they have really good stuff.

IMy ideas seem to resolve around Fitness and I have not started thinking like a producer in other industries. If I have an idea not related to fitness, most of the times it's a website but I am not sure how much is it gonna cost, how much time of my time is needed etc etc.

Since you're a personal trainer, I say it's a really good idea to stick to what you know. You have a head start in that industry and understand it better than outsiders hopping on trends.

I've read countless similar start up articles which became successful though their ideas were less improved before they launched

Perfectionism is a money-killer indeed. A big problem is that you perfecting an idea behind the scenes make it more perfect to YOU, not necessarily your target market.

Have you gotten their input on it yet?

I cannot leave behind the idea that I have to be passionate about my business. I am constantly searching for something that I am passionate about, and that can also make money. Letting that idea go is very hard for me.

I think it's easier once you deconstruct what you're pasionate about.

For many, being passionate about "helping people" and actually hearing the 'thank you's of customers becomes a big motivator.. even if they're not necessarily passionate about whatever boring business it is.

Fear, lack of information, too much information, environment, no direction, no ideas, lack of confidence... All of these.
Oh boy, this will be long one. I've got soooo many reasons why I haven't started.

Remember, you don't NEED much capital or to take unnecessary risks to get started. The first 2K/mo I made of passive income I made cost me $15 to get up and running.

It's difficult to realize that a business is a SOLUTION to being broke, not just another expense.

IA desire to pursue being a musician and a desire to build a fastlane business. These two seem mutually exclusive! Or, thinking I don't have time to do both...

Yeah I hear you. I personally think that the business should be #1 priority, because you can eventually automate it which frees up your time for creative pursuits.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Eos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 5, 2011
England
- Lack of finance / monthly cashflow to fund a fl.

- Lack of skills (realised recently)

- What to focus on - MAJOR. Lack of focus re. paths & needs

- Desire for a profession / fallback to go back to if things don't work out, which 'should be built before focusing on a fl'
leading me to consider going down paths that will take several years (professional accrediations)

bboyu

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 5, 2013
I cant move forward until i have thought about all the possibilities of things, ive read so many books one simple idea, tmfl etc etc - been trying to write down this to a T for like a year now after i got my mindset right on how to find an idea?then i switched to how to research markets research/products to resell? Still dont know how to do it as im always looking for more peoples opinions to see whether ive missed out on a piece of the puzzle on how to find products/ideas to sell...not trusting myself but other people more as i find them more successful so value what they say. Dont know how im going to move forward but want to do this more than nething...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.