The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why does 4 Hour Workweek get no love around here

For any book discussion

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
I tried to send this in a conversation to Moderator @MJ DeMarco and or @Vigilante- but got an alert that I could not send a message to this person.

Can you please tell me how to block @ChrisV from accessing my profile page and inbox.

I don't want to have any contact with him out side of main threads that are out in the open on the big forum.

As a side note, I can hold my own FOR SURE, but I sincerely doubt if I wouldn't have disclosed myself to be a female he would not have this type of behavior/language with me if he thought that I was a male poster on this forum.

Thank you so much.IMG_7346.jpeg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Click the profile page then click “ignore user”.. hang on, let me see how to do it on Mobile.

It’s not a secret what I wrote, I posted it before. You are like double, triple, QUADRUPLE posting and trolling.

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 4.00.41 PM.png

You act like there some cover up, but this forum isn’t for you to air your personal gripes.. if you want to do that, use the messenger

Almost every word I type on this forum I ask myself ‘is this going to benefit someone trying to learn 5 years from now. Yea, I sometimes get suckered in feeding the trolls like this, which is clearly a flaw i have to work on. I really need to get my dahlia llama on lol

( But this was the toy i sent him for the record lol: imgur.com/a/HRb576j )

Hang on I’ll show you how to block on mobil

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 4.47.32 PM.png

Thank you and have a nice day.

Last edited:

Richie Rich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Mar 26, 2012
Louisville, KY
Exactly. I'm re-reading TMF and listening to it on audiobook, which was read by MJ, not a voice actor/narrator. I've read and listened to Stephen King's On Writing, which was his take on the craft of writing and hearing the person who wrote the words read them as if they are talking to me is so much more impactful and resonating than a narrator/TV news anchor type.

I'm sure they're great, but I can't stand the phony-baloney voice that tries too hard to emphasize certain words or phrases, but it isn't authentic. (If only there was a technology that allowed anyone to take a book or audiobook and use whatever voice they wanted to hear read/narrate the book.

Don't get me wrong, I've thought about that idea, but I'm guessing each person's voice is protected by some type of copyright law/intellectual property, unless you get their permission to use their voice, as in television where they use their likeness, you open yourself up to being sued, which no one wants. Sorry for the rant.) While I was disappointed (as I'm sure many here on TFLF were as well) that MJ didn't read UnScripted , but had a voice actor/narrator do it, as I can imagine it takes a lot of time to read, re-read, do take after take after take to get a certain word, sentence, phrase or paragraph just right and this time around, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze, after having taken two to three years to write the book.

I don't know what the ratio is to books sold (physical/digital) versus audiobooks sold (physical/digital), but I would guess at least 5 to 1, maybe 10 to 1, so why take the time to read and record, when the payoff wouldn't be worth it?

I too appreciate MJ's candor and tough love attitude. I cuss like a sailor, something that some look down on, but I'm honest and that's how MJ is: honest, no bullshit. He could have written another "do as I say, not as I do" business/entrepreneur book that would have just taken up more space on an already crowded shelf and been forgotten, but he went Jerry Maguire and put his balls out there (The Things We Think And Do Not Say) and for those of us who were ready to hear the message, it was and still is the kick in the a$$ that we all needed and still need (speaking of myself).

I know I sound like a fanboy and I guess I am, but MJ's knowledge and advice are things I find myself coming back to again and again, even when I get frustrated, say this sh*t doesn't work and I want to find another way, an easier way, but I realize, there isn't, not if I want to make something that lasts, that endures, that helps others more than it ever helps me.

Today, narcissism and the me generation have lost sight of what really matters: being real and leaving a legacy that people can look at and say: this person did it right and for the right reasons, not just what they could get out of it, but what they could do for others.

It's like Star Wars, the light side versus the dark side: the dark side (self-serving) isn't stronger, but the impulse to do it is always there, quick and ready to join you, as soon as you give in to the temptation. But by doing so means taking shortcuts, being less than honorable/ethical and losing customers, the business and worst of all, yourself.

Thanks to whoever went back and formatted this. It looks much better than the gigantic block paragraph essay that I had posted. My apologies, I tend to try and get what I'm thinking down/typed up and then go back and clean it up, but I was tired, so that's my fault. Again, thanks to whoever cleaned it up, looks and reads much better. :)

Mill0006

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 11, 2018
Not that it was my favorite book ever, but the message is totally in line with Fastlane thinking. I notice no one talks about it. No one recommends it. But it’s almost exactly the same message as TMF . It’s all about building a self-sustaining business that lives and breathes on it’s own with very little input from the owner. It’s about simply building a cash machine. Imo it’s literally TMF ’s twin brother. So why no love for it around here?

I actually loved the 4 hour work week book. It was my first intro to virtual assistants which have made business sooo much easier. I’ll give it some love!

Mill0006

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 11, 2018
I'm new here. I didn't know that RDPD wasn't appreciated here.

I love that book. I'll have to do a search of the old posts to better understand why.

I’m a fan of rich Dad poor Dad as well. I’ll have to look into the threads to see why people on here don’t like it.

PoGOOD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jul 4, 2014
Warsaw, Poland
I know people hate Rich Dad Poor Dad, but I think that one is worth the read as well - as it teaches you how to accurately view assets, investments and the importance of building a team.

I am with you on the most important lesson from "Rich Dad..." - importance of having a team. But there's one more book from Kiyosaki's "arsenal of clones" - Cashflow Quadrant should also be a mandatory read for all above 15yo...

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Not that it was my favorite book ever, but the message is totally in line with Fastlane thinking. I notice no one talks about it. No one recommends it. But it’s almost exactly the same message as TMF . It’s all about building a self-sustaining business that lives and breathes on it’s own with very little input from the owner. It’s about simply building a cash machine. Imo it’s literally TMF ’s twin brother. So why no love for it around here?

come on

do you really think successful guys lay on the beach while working on their business when they have a few minutes between massages ?

wtf.gif

the whole message looks like a bait for people who think that entrepreneurship is fun

no

entrepreneurship is a nightmare

the real book one should read is this :

Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World - Cal Newport

here is a study of the book

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ9lnspNNRE

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
This is more of an Anglo American thing though. If a German thought Maria was a fat pig, they'd tell her that.
If they said the above phrase, they probably mean the dress makes Maria look fitter than she normally does. The backhanded compliment idea would never occur to either the water or receiver. This is where the famous stereotype of blunt and rude Germans comes from.

Cultural context can play a lot of role in meaning, and an international audience can end up interpreting the same statement dozens of different ways. This is a unique place with lots of high and low context cultures.
Smartest thing you ever said in here. I mean that in a Germanic way.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Does get praise here, people say it's good. I tried to read it but gave up couple chapters in as I found the writing to be terrible and exhausting.

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 7, 2015
4HWW met my one requirement for a good business book: It introduced me to a few actionable concepts. Here is one example that I have put into use and it has enriched my life:

(Paraphrasing) Don't ever retire. Instead, take three to six months of retirement every year.

I hiked 1150 miles on the Appalachian Trail in 2017, rode a motorcycle all over Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos for 3 months in 2016.

A business should be a vehicle to get you to what you want. I want time, flexibility, adventure. I don't want a Lamborghini or $20,000,000. That's not a knock on this board or MJ. I own and have read TMF and Unscripted . I learned from them too.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
But there I changed my avatar :smile2:
Have you seen the movie Split? Unfortunately every time I see your avatar combined with the tone you generally hold in your posts, I can't not envision a character from the film named Hedwig.

I literally gonna stop posting on this board because there’s always some dumb sh*t or people trying to start arguments with me.

I think the above may be why you're always finding your way into an argument. You carry an attitude and a vibe about you that I feel most people want to repel.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I’m sorry... like when I’m having a serious conversation with someone and I’m like ‘you gotta check out this book ‘the Millionaire Fastlane ’' ... i mean it makes it hard to convince them it’s not a get rich quick book

Do you disagree? Am I wrong here

I’ve made the recommendation and never had to say that. People generally know that I don’t recommend stuff lightly.

But i do remember some girl telling me it sounded like an MLM. In that case, i didn’t try to convince her to read it anymore because I knew that she wasn’t receptive to that type of content.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Getting back on topic... 4HWW was what got me into ecommerce. In fact I followed Tim’s recommendations pretty much to the letter when I started my business in 2007. I also got a chance to thank Tim in person in 2013 when he happened to show up at a house party. The book is now dated as it’s over 10 years old but the concepts still make sense.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Have you seen the movie Split?
We don’t really watch a lot of television around here.. but hey, if that’s your hobby

Getting back on topic... 4HWW was what got me into ecommerce. In fact I followed Tim’s recommendations pretty much to the letter when I started my business in 2007. I also got a chance to thank Tim in person in 2013 when he happened to show up at a house party. The book is now dated as it’s over 10 years old but the concepts still make sense.
Love this post. Congrats dude. I used it to release a book and did pretty well. I was thinking of revisiting 4hww to see how well the advice holds up in 2017.

I’m sure the specifics have changed (AdWords,) but I’m sure it still has value.

Last edited:

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I just read 4HWW for the first time. I actually found that there is some REALLY good stuff in there. I think anyone who gets fooled by the title, should try reading the book..

Specifically, the section on time management & low-info diets.

Also, it is inspiring for people who are second thinking outsourcing tasks and believe they can't until they are making millions per year to hire high paid salaries.

I've put it to use and the overseas hiring strategies have reaped awesome benefits.

I would call the 4HWW a foot in the door that can kickstart your freedom & success, and TMF provides the strategy that allows you to build something that ultimately makes you extremely rich and valuable to the world.

Tim does use examples of highly successful entrepreneurs in the book, those who have sold companies for hundreds of millions even.

For "above-average" people who just want a little freedom in their lives, and maybe even a great deal of freedom, it seems like a great book.

Chew the meat, spit out the bones.

IMO.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!