The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why do you Do it?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
I love to run. Every morning, 6 times a week, then I rest on Saturdays. Just after my morning prayers and a little bit of stretching and water. I pick up my trainers, put some music and earphones with a torchlight in my hand. Then I'm off.

You see I don't have to run, I'm lean and healthy and do other exercises. There's no gangster threatening to cut off my legs in a month. There's no scary doctor's report telling me to run for 6 months. There is no one nor is there a situation that's threatening me to run. I'm not pressured in any way to Run. But yet I want to Run.

When I wake up in the morning, my bed calls to me. After my morning prayers just after 4.am. my bed calls to me. After those stretches and glass of water, my bed still calls to me. My body gives signals, of how tired it is from previous runs. How strenuous the past goals & distances accomplished and soon-to-be accomplished have been on my body. Oh he complains. But yet I want to Run.

The distances I set for myself scares me to my inner man. The dogs that patrol in the morning, which I run by with cautious fear scare me. The possibility of running into a mad man or thug (as we call them here "Area Boy" scares the life out of me. But yet I Run

I love to do Business. the process excites me from top to bottom, building systems, giving hope, creating value and prospering people's lives is the greatest gift anyone can ask for. I truly feel bad and tragically sorry for those who haven't tapped into their entrepreneurial spirit yet, the spirit that gives and gives continually.

I love to do business, but no matter how much I love to do business, i'm pressured to, I have to. There are thousands of situations, friends, family, landlords, employees that pressure us to do what we do. And pressure's not bad, pressure is great for development and growth.

But I want to feel as free with my business, as I feel free when I'm out there pacing the cold.

We all have that number in our head. That price that when we get, we would join the elite. And join great entrepreneurs who have attained that price for themselves. A price which we all call Financial Independence or Freedom.

Just because they are financial free, doesn't mean they stop running. But something is different. They shift from having to, to wanting to. And that's where I want to be. That's why I do it. To get to that Point.

There are very few things, I really enjoy in my life. Running is one of them. I know I won't be able to run forever. But while i'm out there, in the early cold morning, breathing in and out fresh morning due. Its literally heaven, and the best part of my day most times. I can't imagine how much of a joy kill it would be if I had to do it as an obligation. But I'm glad that even though I don't have to, I want to. And that's the best part of it all.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Great post.

I can relate as I'm an entrepreneur, runner, and former track & field coach.

Your question: why do you do it?

I do it because it's who I am. (It's tough for me to answer "why" because I've been an entrepreneur as long as I can remember, I still remember a profitable business I had in second grade at elementary school.. my teacher eventually shut down my operation haha)

After training/competing with Olympic athletes for years and coaching nationally ranked athletes, you realize the "why" is still there, but only subtly. You do it because you're compelled to do it. It wouldn't be "right" (in your own mind) if you didn't.

I grew up in Upstate/Central New York. There's around 120 inches of snowfall each year. I can still remember those early, cold, mornings when I ran before the sun came up. Sometimes it was snowing, sometimes there was ice on the roads, and sometimes the temperature was below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. This was almost an every morning thing.. 6 days a week.

Then, I found myself training in Louisiana where there weather is extreme heat and humidity. Your body adapts to whatever you put it through and so does your mind.

Everyone I knew looked at me as if I were crazy to put myself through those conditions. What can I say? It was just another day. Of course, sometimes my mind wanted me to stay in my warm bed, but that's not who I am.

There're strong similarities between running and business/entrepreneurship.

It sounds like you already know what I'm talking about. Keep up the good work. ;)

PS. Even though I don't compete as a runner or coach anymore, I still train 6 days a week and work on my business 7 days a week.

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
I still remember a profitable business I had in second grade at elementary school.. my teacher eventually shut down my operation haha
Incredible, would love to hear more about this.
Everyone I knew looked at me as if I were crazy to put myself through those conditions. What can I say?
Crazy people are attracted to crazy conditions, cause its only then we bring out our extraordinary results

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Incredible, would love to hear more about this.

That was many years ago. At the time, our school lunch was priced at $1.75 and I noticed that my peers had an extra 25 cents when they came to sit at the lunch table. My class had somewhere between 20-30 kids in it and there were a few other classes in the lunch room.

The school wasn't selling anything at 25 cents. If you wanted to buy ice cream with your lunch, you'd need somewhere between 50 cents and a dollar.

I saw the opportunity and filled a need... Kids like candy.

The candy, Warheads, were fairly new on the market and everyone wanted them. I simply bought packs of 10 Warheads (each individually wrapped) at 50 cents per pack. Resold them for 25 cents each. The profit was $2.00 per pack.

I sold around two to three packs worth per day. Not bad for a second grader.

Over time I realized that most of the kids liked the lemon flavor and the watermelon flavor at my school. I eventually only carried those two flavors.

I had this going for a month or two before the teacher found out. Then my parents and the principal were all involved haha. My first (that I can remember) business was shut down.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
That was many years ago. At the time, our school lunch was priced at $1.75 and I noticed that my peers had an extra 25 cents when they came to sit at the lunch table. My class had somewhere between 20-30 kids in it and there were a few other classes in the lunch room.

The school wasn't selling anything at 25 cents. If you wanted to buy ice cream with your lunch, you'd need somewhere between 50 cents and a dollar.

The candy, Warheads, were fairly new on the market and everyone wanted them. I simply bought packs of 10 Warheads (each individually wrapped) at 50 cents per pack. Resold them for 25 cents each. The profit was $2.00 per pack.

Over time I realized that most of the kids liked the lemon flavor and the watermelon flavor at my school. I eventually only carried those two flavors.

I had this going for a month or two before the teacher found out. Then my parents and the principal were all involved haha. My first (that I can remember) business was shut down.
I did the same thing with chewing gum. I hollowed out a book to hide it in.

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I did the same thing with chewing gum. I hollowed out a book to hide it in.

Nice. I kept the candy in my pencil/crayon holder case.

Tyler Ellison

Digital Advertising Ninja
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 18, 2015
Brazil
I workout because I have to fight against becoming "The Blerch" ( see here if you don't know what that is: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running )

01613f6a83f3bf863c98523668c8efc3.jpg

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014

Ahah, I did the same thing, basically. Bought candies at school, in one of these cases:
51c4856f4b7bd_REGOLI.jpg

But it didn't last long. However, my second venture was to sell Dragon Ball drawings to color.
I found them on the internet (few kids had access to the internet back then), made copies, sold them with a x10 markup over the cost of the copy.
That actually lasted a while and made me a lot of money - it was like dope to those kids. It was a mess when some parent complained with the school.
Hell. It was always there, the spirit, wasn't it?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I love to run as well. Don't know why. I have been running since the age of 13. Had to take a few years off for injuries and other reasons here and there. Otherwise I have been running for over 40 years. Putting in about 45-50 miles a week right now.

No fear for me here. I have had to deal with dogs a few times. I have also deal with people throwing things at me from cars and almost being run over. But I live in a fairly safe environment and don't have to worry about others.

juturna

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Aug 3, 2015
To progress every day is something a human being should want. If they're not reaching for the stars, then they're drowning in that water they keep floating on, thinking they'll end up on a nice land; the land of the dreams. Get real, if you don't do what it is you have to do then you will never amount to anything and that's the sad truth.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
It's my identity to work out. If I didn't, I wouldn't like what I'd become physically and mentally.

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
Former Fat Boy checking in.

Lost about 75 pounds over 3 years through jiu jitsu, weightlifting and spin classes...replacing one obsession (food & booze) for another. Since developed arthritis from an old motorcycle accident, was overdoing the high impact stuff and ended up in near-constant pain to one degree or another. Got lazy on the (terrible) advice of the consultant. Put about 30 pounds back on. Lost almost all the mobility in my ankle and took months of physio to sort out all the tightness and imbalances all over which made me feel like a decrepit old man. From super-fit and athletic to crippled, fat and miserable in about six months. Never again. Since learned that just because I can't squat, run or do martial arts anymore doesn't mean I should just throw in the towel and eat a pizza.

20 minutes a day with the foam roller and a few hours a week in the weight room/training of your choice is surely the best and most time-efficient investment you could possibly make in life. If ever I'm tempted to slack off again I just think of the rapid fat gain, back pain, hip pain, and general sense of malaise and everything else which soon follows. And also of those legions of people who look half-dead already in their 40s and 50s because they took their health for granted when they were younger.

What's the point in freedom if you're not healthy enough to enjoy it?

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Great thread !

The gym. I do it for many reasons. To feel good and look good. I love setting an example for my now adult children. I enjoy having a 'presence' when I enter a room because I train (Those aren't my words). I don't have to think about anything else....

I think people in business notice when you keep yourself in good physical condition and it says " you're disciplined, focused and work hard".

Hand to Hand combat / self-defense. Just damn fun !! And when I'm really old...I'll still be able to kick a$$ if needed.
I also teach this because I believe it's important for people to be responsible for their safety and the safety of their loved ones.

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
Get real, if you don't do what it is you have to do then you will never amount to anything and that's the sad truth.
YES! No amount of dreaming or positive mental attitude can get your dreams for you. Its not served on a platter of Gold. We all have to put in the work.

What's the point in freedom if you're not healthy enough to enjoy it?
No Point

I think people in business notice when you keep yourself in good physical condition and it says " you're disciplined, focused and work hard"
I agree, and your more alert as opposed to sluggish and slow. It makes you more confident and people notice that.

juturna

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Aug 3, 2015
YES! No amount of dreaming or positive mental attitude can get your dreams for you. Its not served on a platter of Gold. We all have to put in the work.

No Point

I agree, and your more alert as opposed to sluggish and slow. It makes you more confident and people notice that.
We truly do! If dreams could become reality seconds waking up, oh man, would we have a bunch of musicians and artists and writers and business men/woman roaming the world. Who knows what else, the list is endless if it involves having tons of money.

Now, if people could just end up wanting happiness and enlightenment then that would be the richest thing of it all besides the money.

LLiriano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 4, 2014
South Florida
I love to run. Every morning, 6 times a week, then I rest on Saturdays. Just after my morning prayers and a little bit of stretching and water. I pick up my trainers, put some music and earphones with a torchlight in my hand. Then I'm off.

You see I don't have to run, I'm lean and healthy and do other exercises. There's no gangster threatening to cut off my legs in a month. There's no scary doctor's report telling me to run for 6 months. There is no one nor is there a situation that's threatening me to run. I'm not pressured in any way to Run. But yet I want to Run.

When I wake up in the morning, my bed calls to me. After my morning prayers just after 4.am. my bed calls to me. After those stretches and glass of water, my bed still calls to me. My body gives signals, of how tired it is from previous runs. How strenuous the past goals & distances accomplished and soon-to-be accomplished have been on my body. Oh he complains. But yet I want to Run.

The distances I set for myself scares me to my inner man. The dogs that patrol in the morning, which I run by with cautious fear scare me. The possibility of running into a mad man or thug (as we call them here "Area Boy" scares the life out of me. But yet I Run

I love to do Business. the process excites me from top to bottom, building systems, giving hope, creating value and prospering people's lives is the greatest gift anyone can ask for. I truly feel bad and tragically sorry for those who haven't tapped into their entrepreneurial spirit yet, the spirit that gives and gives continually.

I love to do business, but no matter how much I love to do business, i'm pressured to, I have to. There are thousands of situations, friends, family, landlords, employees that pressure us to do what we do. And pressure's not bad, pressure is great for development and growth.

But I want to feel as free with my business, as I feel free when I'm out there pacing the cold.

We all have that number in our head. That price that when we get, we would join the elite. And join great entrepreneurs who have attained that price for themselves. A price which we all call Financial Independence or Freedom.

Just because they are financial free, doesn't mean they stop running. But something is different. They shift from having to, to wanting to. And that's where I want to be. That's why I do it. To get to that Point.

There are very few things, I really enjoy in my life. Running is one of them. I know I won't be able to run forever. But while i'm out there, in the early cold morning, breathing in and out fresh morning due. Its literally heaven, and the best part of my day most times. I can't imagine how much of a joy kill it would be if I had to do it as an obligation. But I'm glad that even though I don't have to, I want to. And that's the best part of it all.

Great Post!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.