The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why do we envy?

Anything related to matters of the mind

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
It's ego. That's all. People without egos (that is to say, the humble) do not feel envy. Interest, yes. Impressed, sure. They feel happy for the other person.

You are not your (insert here).

If you're a religious person, you'd probably want to think of yourself as a reflection of God, a vessel through which God's will flows. If you're an atheist, you want to think of yourself as a consciousness of the universe. If you believe you're these things, you would not feel envy.

Humans are past the point of needing to compare themselves to others in order to survive or augment themselves. It's unnecessary.

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
I'll admit this thread is fueled by my lack of sleep. For myself, being tired allows this kind of question to bubble forth.

A somewhat well-known individual in the sales world posted to social media about what they have (vehicles, homes, businesses), what they're getting involved in, and what they're purchasing for their birthday: a McLaren.

They've earned it, brought value, put in the work, put in the years of effort (nine, so far), so why do I feel envy?

According to Bustle.com, "The basis for envy is wanting what another person has, and it's proposed that it's not actually an unhelpful thing to feel; it's a part of our development of what Psychology Today describes as our "self-evaluation," in which we compare ourselves to others and compete with them."

Internally, I'm struggling with whether I'm not doing enough or if I'm doing too much of the unimportant. I've come a long way since March 2016 and have made strides personally since joining the forum months ago. I consider where I will be in another 7.5 years. I am grateful to be here and surrounded by others who have succeeded or are working toward it themselves. But when you feel like you should be further ahead, or have that 'pull' that you belong/fit somewhere else, it can be difficult to overlook.

It's probably a sense of entitlement that I need to eliminate. The comments will likely refine that fault.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
I'll admit this thread is fueled by my lack of sleep. For myself, being tired allows this kind of question to bubble forth.

A somewhat well-known individual in the sales world posted to social media about what they have (vehicles, homes, businesses), what they're getting involved in, and what they're purchasing for their birthday: a McLaren.

They've earned it, brought value, put in the work, put in the years of effort (nine, so far), so why do I feel envy?

According to Bustle.com, "The basis for envy is wanting what another person has, and it's proposed that it's not actually an unhelpful thing to feel; it's a part of our development of what Psychology Today describes as our "self-evaluation," in which we compare ourselves to others and compete with them."

Internally, I'm struggling with whether I'm not doing enough or if I'm doing too much of the unimportant. I've come a long way since March 2016 and have made strides personally since joining the forum months ago. I consider where I will be in another 7.5 years. I am grateful to be here and surrounded by others who have succeeded or are working toward it themselves. But when you feel like you should be further ahead, or have that 'pull' that you belong/fit somewhere else, it can be difficult to overlook.

It's probably a sense of entitlement that I need to eliminate. The comments will likely refine that fault.

the point is not to say that envy is good or bad

the point is to acknowledge reality

reality is this and we should think deeply on it :

Law 46 Never appear too Perfect

Appearing better than others is always dangerous, but most dangerous of all is to appear to have no faults or weaknesses. Envy creates silent enemies. It is smart to occasionally display defects, and admit to harmless vices, in order to deflect envy and appear more human and approachable. Only gods and the dead can seem perfect with impunity.

the 48 laws of power

it doesn't matter whether people here say " envy is bad envy is this and is that ... "

what matters is that we will meet people in our life that are losers and will do everything under the sun to destroy our life

and perversity is very strong

this is the only thing that matters , not to know whether envy is " good or bad "

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.