The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Which website builder should I use?

Wolfman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 12, 2017
Pittsfield, MA
Hi Greg,

It all depends which platform you use. But to bring some clarity:

click to email/phone - This is super easy, when you need it, feel free to PM me, I'll show you how to do it on whatever platform you'll use. And you'll be able to always do it on your own.

Here's how these two features can be achieved with HTML, simple:

<a href="tel:YOURNUMBERHERE">Tap this and let's talk!</a>
<a href="mailto:YOUREMAILHERE">Would rather write? Email me!</a>

payment options
- Same as scheduling. Check if the platform of your choice supports it out of the box, or if you need to additionally implement it.

cell phone compatible - It's pretty much standard today that themes for whatever platform come mobile friendly. Simplest thing you could do is access the demo from your mobile phone and see how it looks like.

And to avoid getting overwhelmed, it could be a good idea to start with that. Just make sure it's advertised as mobile friendly, see if it works on your phone, and jump into it.

That's part of the story though. On projects of my team, our clients and my own, I require much more from a website to call it smartphone friendly. Especially:

1. Speed. Who wants their phone to choke trying to load some clunky page? This can result in lost sales. I insist on speed and we do a lot of things to make our websites load as promptly as possible.

2. Layout. I see many websites where layout does indeed change to adjust to mobile screen, but is completely awful, sometimes broken too. Basically looking like an afterthought.

Personally, I create mobile and computer layouts with equal dedication, and often separately. Each has to be perfectly adjusted to the users.

E.g.if you have a slideshow on mobiles, you don't want to click some tiny arrows to browse to it, you want the ability to swipe through. While on computer you want the opposite.

This goes other way around too, I've seen people focus so much on mobile that they neglect the computer layout, and then I'm trying to swipe through things with a mouse - sucks:)

3. Cross-browser and cross-platform compatibility. I like to make sure my layouts work and look how they should on all the most popular and relevant phones and mobile browsers. And then some. Literally going through every click and scenario manually.

Different browsers, phones and operating systems have different capabilities and features. I always assure than nothing will be broken or dysfunctional for the users.

Since I can't test for ALL phones that exist, I select this way:

a) Currently most popular and most used phones.
b) Most relevant phones of my users, based on analytics.
c) Making sure that things work down to a certain version of browser/operating system, so that I can reasonably expect it will work on all phones in those versions and above.

scheduling
- Some platforms have this built in, on others you can get it as a plugin. WP has a bunch of both free and paid plugins, so likely this too.

SEO
- This is something you do, or have someone do it for you. So that would be extra. Although it can happen spontaneously too, to an extent. I know some people who had just put their content out there, without any technical knowledge and consideration, and it ranks well.

And it's not the only way to get visitors to your website. You could also use paid advertising.

Hi Fast, (you really are awsome) When the time comes I'd like to ask for your recommendations (yourself?) on how to find someone w/ your experience. I know that could break the bank but I've had dismal luck w/ Fiver.
One of the ideas that I've seen here makes good sense to me. It consists of getting someone to subscribe/buy-into future sales from the get-go. That might work w/ my product. It seems to me that if a website w/ all the bells and whistles also could get that stream of revenue, it would be worth the cost of development.
Wouldn't that add a level of complexity re payment/credit cards/receipts/cancellation mechanism/tax pmt./...? I'm thinking that w/ my product, even having the best SEO in the world wouldn't amount to much w/out that repeat business dimension.
So Fast, would that repeat sales dimension quadruple the cost of the website work you outlined?
Thanks again,
Greg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Wolfman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 12, 2017
Pittsfield, MA
When it comes to SEO there are a lot of influencing factors. The standard comparison for the Google ranking algorithm is usually the Coca Cola recipe. A lot of stuff goes into it and it's sometimes hard to explain. I have a decent track record in SEO as well as in website creation.

@Wolfman - I'm happy to help if you need support with SEO, just let me know...
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the offer. I like the Coca Cola analogy. I know where I can find you.
Greg

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Thanks for the kind words Greg.

When the time comes I'd like to ask for your recommendations (yourself?) on how to find someone w/ your experience.

Sure, you can PM at any time, whether to check if my team can help, or for advice about outsourcing.

It consists of getting someone to subscribe/buy-into future sales from the get-go. That might work w/ my product. It seems to me that if a website w/ all the bells and whistles also could get that stream of revenue, it would be worth the cost of development.

Without knowing the product, I'd say yes, principally this seems to make much sense. If I understood well, it means - try to find buyers asap, with as little investment as possible, and if it seems to work, then invest into bells and whistles with the goal of increasing sales?

Wouldn't that add a level of complexity re payment/credit cards/receipts/cancellation mechanism/tax pmt./...? I'm thinking that w/ my product, even having the best SEO in the world wouldn't amount to much w/out that repeat business dimension.
So Fast, would that repeat sales dimension quadruple the cost of the website work you outlined?

For a really good answer much more details would be needed, but I'll try to give a useful answer.

I don't think that repeat sales feature would have that huge of an effect to the price of the website.

How much would something cost to begin with?

I don't know your exact needs, but if you look at a solution like Shopify, and all it's features (and apps that are available to further enhance it), it's possible that it might be supporting all that you need.

Even if it doesn't, you could hire a developer to make an app only for the functionality that you need, instead of having a whole website built from scratch.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.