The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Which programming language should I learn?

entrepdw

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 15, 2011
Do any of you know which programming languages should I learn in order to build a website like reddit.com/digg.com? Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Reddit uses Python. Not sure what Digg uses. However, you can build both of those websites using PHP, Javascript, and their libraries. HTML and CSS control the look of your website, while PHP and Javascript control how your website functions. MySQL will help you interact with your database. You'll pick these up as you go along. Start from the basics: HTML and CSS. Then learn PHP, followed by Javascript.

A

Anon3587x

Learning to program takes along time. The best way to get better is to practice each example as you come across it.

I like php, css, html, css, javascript, jquery and ajax. But if you master any language you can accomplish the same things.

Milenko

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 6, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Pligg CMS | Open Source Content Management System

If you want to be a programmer then learn how to program. If you want to build a website you'll find hundreds of open source content management systems that likely do 70%+ of what you want your website to do. Learn how to use one of them and/or contract with a programmer to add the last 30% that makes your idea different.

But, to answer your question, most of what you'll run into on the internet is either PHP or .NET plus javascript via a library like jQuery or Prototype.

entrepdw

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 15, 2011
Thank you guys! I don't have any programming experience, which language would you recommend to start from? Are there any resources that you would recommend for beginners like me?

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
i may off myself if i see another "which programming language" thread.

go to lynda.com and learn html and css first. Then go from there. PHP and Ruby on Rails are popular right now.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 10, 2011
Always start from the basics. "You can't run without learning how to stand". 1st learn HTML and CSS, once you master it, moving on to PHP will be a breeze. From HTML a lot of terms are learned and are very familiar to PHP programing. After getting the hang of it go for a more advance approach like MySQL and Javascripting.

mcjon77

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Sep 5, 2011
Always start from the basics. "You can't run without learning how to stand". 1st learn HTML and CSS, once you master it, moving on to PHP will be a breeze. From HTML a lot of terms are learned and are very familiar to PHP programing. After getting the hang of it go for a more advance approach like MySQL and Javascripting.

I never really thought of transitioning from HTML to PHP to be a breeze. Transitioning from any other procedural programming language (C/C++, Java, Python, Basic, VB, Perl, Javascript etc) would be a breeze, but the only thing PHP and HTML have in common is that you can use PHP commands to print HTML and you can intersperse PHP within HTML.

I do still agree with your sequence of HTML->CSS->PHP->SQL (on a MySQL DBMS)->Javascript (particularly AJAX). You could also go HTML->CSS->Javascript (particularly AJAX)->PHP->SQL(on a MySQL DBMS).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.