The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where to go with idea to make weapons safer for law enforcement?

Idea threads

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
My husband works in a branch of Homeland Security and has an idea which would make weapons safer for law enforcement officers... but doesn't know how to design this particular 'safety'. Just looking for thoughts on where he/we could turn for advice on this.

Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
I'm sure you don't want to give the idea away, but what sort of product is it, it might help people point you in the right direction as you'd need to speak to very different people depending on what it is.

Is it electronics?
or is it a plastic/metal item?
or an information product?
do you need help with everything from concept to execution?

If you let us in a bit on what type of help you need it'll be easier to suggest things.

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I'm sure you don't want to give the idea away, but what sort of product is it, it might help people point you in the right direction as you'd need to speak to very different people depending on what it is.

Is it electronics?
or is it a plastic/metal item?
or an information product?
do you need help with everything from concept to execution?

If you let us in a bit on what type of help you need it'll be easier to suggest things.

Thanks for the reply and of course, you're right. :) It's electronic, needing chips.

Soleo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Nov 11, 2016
Texas
Thanks for the reply and of course, you're right. :) It's electronic, needing chips.

First off, thank your husband for his service. I know DHS too well!

Second, it's going to take a lot of research on his behalf to make it work. If he doesn't know how to do something. He should take time to learn. That's the best advice I have for you.

There may be some things too complicated to learn due to time constraints. At this point, I recommend he drafts a good NDA and contracts someone to do the work needed. Remember, if you are contracting someone you do not need to provide them all the details, just the details needed to perform the job you are trying to get them to create.

Lastly, get it going! With the amount of people in the world, it is very likely that someone else has a very similar idea or will come up with a similar solution in the future.

I would recommend him searching for what he would need to get a "government contract" or sell to the government. Many times they require a LLC or Corp, that has a DUNS number.

Government contracts are hard to get, but not impossible. Also, have him think if it could benefit from having the field employees buying them vs. selling to the government.

EDIT: Have him research what he would need. He can then start soliciting service of people for what he needs. There are many good options online. ...and Dallas has some very intelligent people. He may be able to solicit locally.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
How about non-lethals like low -voltage electronic tasers or even 'foam' that can trap aggressive criminals for prosecution? Non-lethal weapons should have less hazards to handle compared to live firearms as they aren't supposed to hurt people. Low-dose transquiliser bullets may suffice too for rougher situations. I know it's usually for wildlife, but probably it's time weapons become peacemakers than destroyers.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
This seems like just a patent and licensing play. You're not going to create a whole new product line just because of some safety feature. More than likely the implementation of the idea is already patented even if there isn't a single product out there which has it.

28,000+ patents with the keywords "electronic, safety, and gun".

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=pts&source=hp&q=gun electronic safety&oq=gun electronic safety

I would be shocked if the implementation of your idea hasn't already been patented. There's tons of safety features out there but gunmakers refuse to implement them such as biometric verification to enable firing of the gun or to check if there's a cartridge in the chamber.

Where do you go? Patent lawyer.

Last edited:

Yratill

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 15, 2016
Issues Remain Although some technical problems have been resolved, many obstacles remain. “It’s not even ready for lab testing,” says Howe, who explains that one of the most valuable results of the research is a better understanding of the difficulties of making a reliable gun when introducing off-the-shelf technology into a volatile, real world environment.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.