The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where to find like-minded individuals?

GameOver

World Domination
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 11, 2017
USA
This forum is a great place to virtually meet like-minded individuals. I'm looking for suggestions on where to do this locally / in real life?

So far, I've had a few discussions with business acquaintances but it seems most people are risk adverse... they'd be happy to come work for me once I have something figured-out, but aren't really interested in trying to start a venture as they don't enjoy that.

Been to a few business mixer type events that are open to the public, but usually that turns into folks just asking me for a job (with my current employer).

Looked-into the SBA, but networking doesn't seem to be part of their thing. They have government counselors. That seems so... wrong.

So right now I am just in information-collection and exploratory mode. I'd love to be able to talk to people in my area who have made it, are running their own businesses and have problems that need solving. I'd also be interested in talking to others who are where I am at, because who knows if alliances might be possible or necessary.

Just wondering if you've tackled this question and if so, where you went to find folks?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Country club, golfing, my school alumni network, and philanthropy.

Most people at free events or meetup groups are MLM people or onepreneurs selling stuff on Etsy or something.

The barriers to entry for the good methods are fairly high and that's why they're so good. You meet entrepreneurs and other decision makers in every industry imaginable.

You also don't need any of those connections to start a successful business....

it can help though.

Last edited:

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
I happen to live in a small rural community, and the only business owners I've met have been those whose business I've frequented. Make the effort to strike up conversations at business you frequent and try to get to know the owner. In a small business, the owner is easy to identify. The only problem is that you're quite limited in the types of business (and thus business owners) you can access.

FYI, I didn't have any luck going to the local Economic Development Foundation meetings or the Chamber of Commerce meetings.

I like @spyt 's recommendations, perhaps it's easier to find business minded individuals during their "down time". Go where they go.

Let us know if you find a more successful method!

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
This forum is a great place to virtually meet like-minded individuals. I'm looking for suggestions on where to do this locally / in real life?

So far, I've had a few discussions with business acquaintances but it seems most people are risk adverse... they'd be happy to come work for me once I have something figured-out, but aren't really interested in trying to start a venture as they don't enjoy that.

Been to a few business mixer type events that are open to the public, but usually that turns into folks just asking me for a job (with my current employer).

Looked-into the SBA, but networking doesn't seem to be part of their thing. They have government counselors. That seems so... wrong.

So right now I am just in information-collection and exploratory mode. I'd love to be able to talk to people in my area who have made it, are running their own businesses and have problems that need solving. I'd also be interested in talking to others who are where I am at, because who knows if alliances might be possible or necessary.

Just wondering if you've tackled this question and if so, where you went to find folks?

Outside of this place, the best networking I've found is at my local cigar shop. Just a bunch of guys sitting around drinking scotch and talking about what they're working on. I F*cking hate scotch, though.

Bonus: If you're a millennial, the bar is super low. If you're under 35 and can just shut up, listen, and not be a total dipshit, they'll think you're a damn genius. I've gotten a lot of mentorship that way.

Rammsteinfanboy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jun 7, 2017
Germany
If you live in a major city finding like minded Individuals should be easy, because there peergroups for everything who do meetups. Just look online on sites like facebook and meetup.com. You find all kind of groups there like "new in town chicago"
or "parkour chicago" etc.

tehbest1

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jun 27, 2017
London, UK
Agreed. "Getting out there" is the thing that requires actual legwork but it is so worthwhile.
Meetup.com is a great one if you live in the cities. I also went to Toastmasters groups as well. A great place to meet people who are into Personal Development and more often than not, people who are into doing their own businesses

Alexlewter

Banned - Plaguriser
Jun 6, 2017
Garden city
Others have suggested ways to meet like minded people on-line. To meet like minded people locally, try Find your people - Meetup. Search for topics you are interested in as see if there are groups meeting in your area.

Also take a look at BestThinking where thoughtful authors publish articles on topics they are interested in. You can browse articles, find interesting authors, read their biographies and connect with them.

Join Linkedin - which claims to be the World's Largest Professional Network and keep your profile up-to-date.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
Yeah me too I've found many great people to know on meetup and eventbrite. In any entrepreneurs events I've found them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.