The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where Do You Think The Opportunity Is Here?

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Hey guys,

I came across this article yesterday that was published on Bloomberg.

The statistics are really interesting.

As I was reading it, all I could think of was a quote I heard a long time ago..."Demography is Destiny."

Here is the article: Click Here

Where do you think the future fastlane opportunities lie given what is talked about in this article?

I look forward to this discussion!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Not sure there are any direct opportunities but I believe it signifies that people are thinking about their finances more critically and the actions/consequences that have a direct impact on those finances. (Kids = Huge co$ts.)

It also means that the "experience" of having children is losing its appeal versus having the freedom to do what you want.

Those with children will often say it is an experience that money cannot buy. Being childless at the moment, I cannot comment.

When I travel and see parents at the airport handling their kids, I often wonder if I could do it ... it looks like a shit-ton of work and none of the parents look happy.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
As an idealist, I would love to have kids someday. It would be nice to continue my genetic legacy. I fancy myself a good-looking and smart fellow (who doesn't?) and think my offspring would survive quite well in this world.

As a realist, I know that kids are either a far-off thing (I'm not even 20 yet) or something I'll never have. I understand that there is a human experience beyond procreation and having kids is not something that we all need to do. It's not a requirement of being alive, or being human.

Doesn't mean I still wouldn't enjoy watching my own kids grow up, like I enjoy watching my business grow.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
My first thought is writing a book on the subject geared towards young adults. It's obviously a large decision to have kids (or not to). Get it in sex ed curriculum and you have a gold mine.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I fancy myself a good-looking and smart fellow (who doesn't?)
I don't.

think my offspring would survive quite well in this world.
One can only hope.

It also means that the "experience" of having children is losing its appeal versus having the freedom to do what you want.
We are changing a lot. Kids are expensive, both in time and money.

Other countries are facing the same issues (Italy, for example, was offering money to families to have kids).

The solution seems to be on the immigration policies put in place. I foresee Canada and Australia having few problems with demographics and growth. On the other hand, Japan is screwed. People having no kids, and immigration almost impossible == declining populations == less people to pay the pension plans for the old ones == economic decline == social unrest.

Where do you think the future fastlane opportunities lie given what is talked about in this article?
You added the link, but did not provide any input about what you think... so, what do you think? Can you answer your own question?

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Problem​
Opportunity​
Money is tight, it's expensive to raise a familyAnything that saves families money or makes them money
People delay raising a family to focus on their careerDaycare, dance academy, martial arts - anything to keep kids occupied throughout the work day. That's what YMCA, Boys & Girls Club was for
Nobody wants a teenager when they're 60Modern equivalent of military school, counseling

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
When I travel and see parents at the airport handling their kids, I often wonder if I could do it ... it looks like a shit-ton of work and none of the parents look happy.

Traveling with young kids is a shit-ton of work, even when all goes well!

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
With regards to the article, the opportunity lies in taking care of these childless adults.

**edit

When they are old.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Problem​
Opportunity​
Money is tight, it's expensive to raise a familyAnything that saves families money or makes them money
People delay raising a family to focus on their careerDaycare, dance academy, martial arts - anything to keep kids occupied throughout the work day. That's what YMCA, Boys & Girls Club was for
Nobody wants a teenager when they're 60Modern equivalent of military school, counseling

I disagree with all of this. All this relies on children. You're selling to saving money for families, offering childcare services, and military school to an entire generation with fewer children. I think the opportunities are within industries where the existence of children kill the industry.

This generation of 'almost parents' will be the previous 'baby boomers.' Travel industries, apartments/smaller homes, alcohol sales, and gambling will boom. Things that were prevented or severed by having children will now get more attention.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
What I took from the article is due to the economic climate fewer people are raising families. They feel the can't afford it. The opportunity is offering people a way to raise families when they didn't think they could afford it. Look at the explosion in leased cars over the last 20 years. Leasing gives people a way to afford cars they couldn't afford to purchase.

However, you're right - there's a flip side to that. There's a growing demographic with more disposable income (no kids).

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
You added the link, but did not provide any input about what you think... so, what do you think? Can you answer your own question?

Well with the declining population of kids being born right now, I feel like the overall demand for services for babies will decrease over time. Perhaps there may be an opportunity in shorting stocks that serve the baby market knowing their earnings and growth will decline over time.

To be honest I haven't thought much about the impact this will have 10-20 years from now. I just know it is going to affect a lot of industries and sectors.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011

This is true for me at least...

Offering childcare services is a great business idea in theory but a large amount of moms cannot afford it...it costs more to send their kids to daycare than they bring home each week. Gov. mandates an adult child ratio depending on the age..shackling economies of scale lol. If it weren't for that you could put them all in a fun time warehouse lol.

As for the opportunity in the article...if people are still having sex then an opportunity would be in pregnancy prevention. Sex market..lingerie etc. The article also stated that most people are depressed so what can a person do in this space. The shift is from family formation to more individual formation. The old reliable saving for retirement trend is always a good bet.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Unless I really did go to another country and get all of my shit together over there I wouldn't even consider having kids.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.