The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WHERE DO THE RICH INVEST MONEY?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

haris1

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 12, 2016
Hello fastlaners, i was searching articles about this topic and i couldn't find anything.
So i'm asking you 2 questions:

1. What was your best investment? (how much did you get out of it and how long did it take)
2. How do i know where to invest? (some examples where people invest nowadays)

Thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
The reason why you couldn't find any answers to this topic is because it's a rather simplistic question.

You need to learn about what it means to invest. Google and libraries will help.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
1. What was your best investment? (how much did you get out of it and how long did it take)

Investing in myself, my daily habits, and choices were the best investments I have ever done. The ROI is exponential.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Last edited by a moderator:

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
1. As already stated-- self education. (I think this the vital first investment that is a catalyst to others including the next two)

2. Real Estate! Countless millionaires made from investing in RE.

3. Re-investing in their own business. Probaby the one most people don't like to hear because you have to actually create a successful business in the first case.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I would say that the rich invest in the same things as everyone else. It is how they go about it that is different.

Someone may have built a decent nest-egg by purchasing a house here and there. It may have taken years, but they did it.

Another may have taken a much more "hands-on" and aggressive approach and built up a real estate empire in a short time.

Yet another may have lost some properties in a downturn and walked away with the opinion that real estate sucks.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Hello fastlaners, i was searching articles about this topic and i couldn't find anything.

Thank you
Why would anyone answer these for you? Just cause you're a nice guy?
The rich you refer to are "Accredited Investors." Answering provides no value to you or them.
Don't worry about the question until you get there. BTW, what color of Ferrari do you want?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hello fastlaners

Please read the book before you use a term you probably don't know what it means.

Anyhow, your question...

My market investments have made me, on average, a 3-8% ROI.

My businesses have made me, on average, a 30,000% - 80,000% ROI.

My best ROI was 0% -- that was in 2008 when I was out of the market.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
IMHO if you don't know what to do with your money, just put it in a savings or Money Market fund OR what ever investment you currently feel comfortable with and feel like you understand, then keep educating yourself. Basically, protect your nest egg while you learn what you want to do with it.

The reason no one can give a perfect straight answer is that the answer is going to be different for everyone based on what industries they are comfortable with, what level of risk they are willing to take on, and how active they want to be in managing it. Heck, even many millionaires want a "set it and forget it" option and wouldn't want to personally touch any stock trading or real-estate.

I'm in the process of finding this answer to your questions for myself. I've always been in a company's 401(k), but now that I'm 100% self-employed, I'm having to decide where my investments live.

Here's the answer for me, so I hope it helps you:
Safety net - 6 months of living expenses in savings
Wealthfront Roth IRA - retirement
Vanguard - personal investment account (mostly index funds)
TD Ameritrade Roth IRA that I opened just this year to learn about options trading. (This is close to 10% of my investment accounts since I'm only learning and I'll know I'd be ok if I lose all of it).

The theme of my investments is "a place to put my money so I know it's not going anywhere (even after inflation) while I build capital and learn about other investments"

Build your empire, and you'll know soon enough what investments are right for you.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Why would anyone answer these for you? Just cause you're a nice guy?
Our good friend Jon, is in a bad mood today. :)

I am in the doldrums myself. Trying to wrap up a flu virus.

JonathanR

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 23, 2016
1. As already stated-- self education. (I think this the vital first investment that is a catalyst to others including the next two)

2. Real Estate! Countless millionaires made from investing in RE.

3. Re-investing in their own business. Probaby the one most people don't like to hear because you have to actually create a successful business in the first case.
When you mean Real Estate, what kind do you mean. I have some and so far Im in between the fences regarding Real Estate. I have 2 properties that I rent and it hasnt been a success. ( Sorry for my english)

D

Deleted35442

Thank you
1. My best yet riskiest investment was trading back before Forex regulations on a 2000:1 microlot where I made $20k a single trade in a three day period speculating on the decline of the euro.
2. Read this from top to bottom.

@jon.a stop being a dick for no reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rudynate

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 3, 2016
San Francisco, CA
My best ROI was 0% -- that was in 2008 when I was out of the market.

I never thought of that. In early 2008, I was heavily invested in stocks, trading actively and making pretty good money at it. In July or August, the market got so volatile that I couldn't open a position without getting stung. I read an article in Reuters that commented that even hedge fund managers couldn't handle the market volatility and were liquidating and waiting for the market to quiet down. I asked myself "If people who do this for a living can't handle this market, what am I doing in it?" There was no good answer, so I liquidated. The market crashed a few weeks later.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.