The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"When You're Rich, Remember Me!"

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Nope I don't, but I can say the moment you become rich, they'll probably want to be your best friend. All those people that never supported you on the way up. lol Imagine that!

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Nope I don't, but I can say the moment you become rich, they'll probably want to be your best friend. All those people that never supported you on the way up. lol Imagine that!
Even people I hardly know say that. It's almost disgusts me in a way.

When I make it, I can push people away. I already had it starting my own web business which wasn't even that amazing.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
"I'm a giant loser and will never try to do anything, so when you are rich give me something for nothing"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I had this conversation with my brother:

Brother: "Well, if you become a millionaire, pay off my mortgage, will ya?"
Me: "That sounds like a great deal. I do all the work, take all the risk, and you get a house out of it, yeah, that sounds AWESOME"
Brother: "Consider it charity!"
Me: "Or I could give it to cancer research and actually do good in this world"
Brother: "You're a prick".

Mind you it was more lighthearted than it sounds but I go through this conversation in some form with anyone who knows that I have a business going on. One of my friends came into town and gave me the "remember me" bit. My father told me to remember where I came from. Same with my mother. The only ones not asking are those who have their own shit going on and plans of their own for their future.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If you become a millionaire.... Lol

Million is just a number. The day you wake up with a million dollars in the bank the world won't look any different. There will not be some newfound peace about how you want to pay off lazy family's homes.

Ashten

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
May 30, 2014
San Diego, CA
Every-time I tell a friend or extended family member about my ventures, this is the general response.

Anyone else get this?

I sure do. I just can't comprehend somebody accepting the fact that they can never be rich. It's really sad.

You can if you think you can, but unfortunately most people don't think.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I sure do. I just can't comprehend somebody accepting the fact that they can never be rich. It's really sad.

You can if you think you can, but unfortunately most people don't think.

I accept it. not everyone is meant to walk the same path. I have had people say that to me, but honestly I didn't even take them seriously. they say the same thing when you buy a lottery ticket. if you win remember me! I don't usually talk about being a "millionaire" I talk in generalizations about business ideas. never actual dollars.

I can picture myself making a post of I finally sold my idea!!! or My product got purchased by a major manufacturer or something to that effect but I would never put out the $ amount. I think its rude. like asking a woman her age or weight LOL

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
One day I was conversing with someone, and she told me "Oh I better hang around you"

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
This is why I try to avoid telling people about what I'm working on. I'd rather have someone think I have nothing in the works and surprise people later than go around talking about my dreams. Undersell and over-deliver, etc.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
It's something I hear and laugh off.
Just because you tell me to, doesn't mean anything.

And sometimes, I think people say it... to say it.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
The difference between us and them IS the fact that we don't think in dollar amounts.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
That IS a mindf#ck
:hurting:

Here is my token response: "remember who?"

Here are some thoughts:
Regarding houses etc, paying other peoples way just say "I didn't know you were the freeloader type ;)".

If they say they are intending to freeload, just be like "you are exhausting".

I think the core reason they are annoying is just cuz they aren't interested, and they are flimsily showing how the result is interesting, but not being involved in the painful process (and it is painful so I can't blame em).

Just tell em "it isn't all about the money, its about developing oneself until the point it no longer matters"

Cuz in the end, only a clear mind can rid itself of fear and anguish. And money never cleans anyones mind (food can so you can offer them food etc if they ever wanna take the journey too)

But you can say this to them "I doubt I'll ever be in that position and not feel like a slave, so don't put your hopes on me... I just wish this path was a little less abrasive, its very difficult" cuz I figure thats what you are really after (a soft place to fall)

Last edited:
G

GuestUser113

Every-time I tell a friend or extended family member about my ventures, this is the general response.

Anyone else get this?

406220_453976457967409_28114574_n.jpg

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
If you really think about it, you are going to want to help family.

Like me I have a list of family who've done right by me and if I can help them in some way I will. None of them have asked me for anything. They've probably given me more then I can ever repay...

Then there is the family members who ask for handouts. Stuff like "get me a job" or "Lend me a hundred bucks". I just laugh at em. To their face and walk away.

I guess that's why I go by Mike or Michael Kavanagh on here and elsewhere. Plausible deniability.

A

Angus

From The 48 Laws of Power
Law 4 - Always Say Less than Necessary
Law 9 - Win through your Actions, Never through Argument
Law 38 - Think as you like but Behave like others

One of the best things you can do is shut up about everything you do and know;
at the end of the day, if it doesn't benefit your networking, telling people that you're an entrepreneur is just another way of fishing for validation.

MarchWarrior

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 25, 2014
At the end of the day, the question is: why are you still with these people?
my fam never expects me to pay them jack shit, just like much of my friends.
My rule is : never have money arguments and transactions with friends, if you want to keep them as friends

shit will turn ugly, people will go away
it really depends if you can accept others as they are. And i'm still learning

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Common place. Some dude has his own business, wanted me as his mentor and said this to me.

I've heard it often and I'm a bitch usually and say "Why should I remember you?, When I am wealthy, I won't even know who you are."

(Yeah, i'm not evil and would never actually do that-- but I find it fun to play on the self fulfilling prophecy of rich people being snobbish and mean to further perpetuate their stinking thinking. It's sad)

I'm a big fat F*cksticks loser and when you make it, I want to mooch off your money, your contacts and ANYTHING you can give me.

Er, no thanks.

ProweJosh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Feb 10, 2014
There is one guy that used to go to my secondary school who was 2 years older than me and he got 16 A*'s (Which is pretty much straight A+'s in high school terms) and completed his A-Levels in 1 year. Everyone, including teachers, used to go on about how he was going to be a millionaire/billionaire and how he should 'remember us little people' and of course I can't say whether or not he will become wealthy as I don't know his choices but the students in my school concluded that 'they were never going to be rich' as they aren't as smart as the guy. Before he even got those grades hardly anyone spoke to him or even acknowledged him but now when he comes back to my college/sixth form everyone treats him like he's a celebrity(my friend even asked for his autograph lol), it's like they want to get on his good terms for the future. Just goes to show how people believe that you're grades/degree/etc actually determine how rich you can become.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
There is one guy that used to go to my secondary school who was 2 years older than me and he got 16 A*'s (Which is pretty much straight A+'s in high school terms) and completed his A-Levels in 1 year. Everyone, including teachers, used to go on about how he was going to be a millionaire/billionaire and how he should 'remember us little people' and of course I can't say whether or not he will become wealthy as I don't know his choices but the students in my school concluded that 'they were never going to be rich' as they aren't as smart as the guy. Before he even got those grades hardly anyone spoke to him or even acknowledged him but now when he comes back to my college/sixth form everyone treats him like he's a celebrity(my friend even asked for his autograph lol), it's like they want to get on his good terms for the future. Just goes to show how people believe that you're grades/degree/etc actually determine how rich you can become.

SOUND and SOLID point. This is why people slave away for others ALL their life. Because they think an A = $$$ in the bank.

Good luck. I have an 8 figure friend who never even finished highschool and he's BALLING to the max.

Yeah people always talk about the little people.

My mentor JH Said this to me last night " People live in poverty because they are SO wrapped up in their sufferings that they give out thoughts of only lack and sorrow. They expect want. They open the door of their mind only to hardship and sickness & poverty. True, they hope for something better, but their hopes are so drowned by their fears that they never have a chance"

Enough said.

Nur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 4, 2014

Anyone else get this?

Listen to altucher podcast on crappy family

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

ProweJosh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Feb 10, 2014
SOUND and SOLID point. This is why people slave away for others ALL their life. Because they think an A = $$$ in the bank.

Good luck. I have an 8 figure friend who never even finished highschool and he's BALLING to the max.

Yeah people always talk about the little people.

My mentor JH Said this to me last night " People live in poverty because they are SO wrapped up in their sufferings that they give out thoughts of only lack and sorrow. They expect want. They open the door of their mind only to hardship and sickness & poverty. True, they hope for something better, but their hopes are so drowned by their fears that they never have a chance"

Enough said.

Yeah, great point and quote from your mentor . People around me keep doubting themselves that they can't achieve the grades they want or actually become rich but deep down they actually do but they find it easier to just doubt it as it causes them less pain than trying and failing and not meeting your expectations. Even the head of my sixth form looks down on students who don't get A's and I can tell that she believes they're not going to go far in life. Not really a good environment to be in where everyone seems to be doubting themselves and others who dream big :/

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Yeah, great point and quote from your mentor . People around me keep doubting themselves that they can't achieve the grades they want or actually become rich but deep down they actually do but they find it easier to just doubt it as it causes them less pain than trying and failing and not meeting your expectations. Even the head of my sixth form looks down on students who don't get A's and I can tell that she believes they're not going to go far in life. Not really a good environment to be in where everyone seems to be doubting themselves and others who dream big :/

Once, I was suffering with burnout and I turned up at my GP crying.

Her response "Aim lower in life. You put too much pressure on yourself"

I changed my surgery. I cannot be dealing with nonsense.

Lakeview

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
My father told me to remember where I came from. Same with my mother.

This may not be the case with your parents but I thinks most parents would say this with the intent of asking us to remain humble. To that point, I would agree.

Clearly, we are all on the same page. There will always be the have's and have not's. We just are those who prefer to do the things necessary to be in the pursuit of the lifestyle wealth can bring.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.