The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When you get a "Sour Pink" Gumball

Anything related to matters of the mind

LiveFire

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 17, 2017
I went back over the past week to read in UNSCRIPTED about "LIFE'S GUMBALL MACHINE" (Page 149) that is filled with White, Orange, Red, and Gold gumballs. About 2 months ago, a different Gumball appeared and decided to color it "Sour Pink". This is not a gumball that MJ discussed, but expanding on his concept that the bag of gumballs could contain many colors (or flavors) which may be representative to different meanings that deposit into our hands through a journey of UNSCRIPTED .

I was progressing with steps of UNSCRIPTED , working actions, working a plan, and being dedicated. Then I was shaken to my core. When I received the news, nothing else mattered. It was a time to confront reality, to pause, to remember, and to reflect. Nearly 2 months ago, my Mother was placed in ICU and still remains there. Nearly 3 times, I almost lost her from this world. I was numb at first and kept it together, then overwhelmed with the thought of not having her. Energy was redirected to phone calls, much prayer, and 6 hour away one way travels to the hospital. I found myself shifted immediately to what felt UNCONTROLLED. It wasn't anything she could control, but something happened in her body. The doctors call it a mystery - no definitive diagnosis (yet). It is heartbreaking to see her condition and what she is going through. I continue hoping for the best everyday for her.

While we will easily nod to acknowledge that we know this of what I will say, we often forget about how our relationships and friendships may influence, change, or impact the plans we lay out (no matter how perfect we believe those plans to be). It is the connection to "other people" and their life events as a "Sour Pink" Gumball that can have bearing on us. These "Sour Pink" Gumballs have the potential to shift into a "Red" if the impact is great enough to the point that one can't seem to go on. While these "Sour Pink" Gumballs don't necessarily stop one from moving forward, they certainly can cause temporary pauses, significant slowdowns, and get us off-pace leaving a bad taste in the mouth. It has taken me nearly 2 months to resume despite the situation, and I am not fully back at the pace I was at.

I can only control my life, but I can't control the life of others whether intentional or not intentional. The Gumball machine may be filled with more "Sour Pinks" than I would like to acknowledge, but life can't be lived isolated. There is not a day that I don't think about her. I believe there is an element of faith and hope in situations. I will not say this is an inconvenience - she is my Mother, I will never view her as such or say she "ruined" my plans. There will be a time we will all face something or with someone we love or know. The best I (or anyone else) can do is manage and to cope, and try to keep taking steps forward, to keep leaning forward, to be in motion with thought or action for their is just a window of time to be UNSCRIPTED .

This has served as one more wake up call as I get older to look at my own health that I have neglected over the years. What can I learn from the situation of another (in this case of my own Mother)? What would happen if I had to go through that? How can I avoid going through it all together? During the last 2 months, it led me to being closer with my family to appreciate them while I have my own life and they are with me. It led me 4 weeks ago to attend the gym consistently in reasonable duration and to condition in an effort to be more healthy to tell LIFE that you won't do this to me as you did to her.

A decision has to be made in the situation - a choice - to either disregard these "Sour Pink" gumballs, acting as if it doesn't matter by tossing it aside or into the trash can, or by choosing to chew the gritty "Sour Pink" gumballs and to blow bubbles in the midst of the situations.

Keep depositing the quarter and turning the dial.

Sincerely,
LF

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I went back over the past week to read in UNSCRIPTED about "LIFE'S GUMBALL MACHINE" (Page 149) that is filled with White, Orange, Red, and Gold gumballs. About 2 months ago, a different Gumball appeared and decided to color it "Sour Pink". This is not a gumball that MJ discussed, but expanding on his concept that the bag of gumballs could contain many colors (or flavors) which may be representative to different meanings that deposit into our hands through a journey of UNSCRIPTED .

I was progressing with steps of UNSCRIPTED , working actions, working a plan, and being dedicated. Then I was shaken to my core. When I received the news, nothing else mattered. It was a time to confront reality, to pause, to remember, and to reflect. Nearly 2 months ago, my Mother was placed in ICU and still remains there. Nearly 3 times, I almost lost her from this world. I was numb at first and kept it together, then overwhelmed with the thought of not having her. Energy was redirected to phone calls, much prayer, and 6 hour away one way travels to the hospital. I found myself shifted immediately to what felt UNCONTROLLED. It wasn't anything she could control, but something happened in her body. The doctors call it a mystery - no definitive diagnosis (yet). It is heartbreaking to see her condition and what she is going through. I continue hoping for the best everyday for her.

While we will easily nod to acknowledge that we know this of what I will say, we often forget about how our relationships and friendships may influence, change, or impact the plans we lay out (no matter how perfect we believe those plans to be). It is the connection to "other people" and their life events as a "Sour Pink" Gumball that can have bearing on us. These "Sour Pink" Gumballs have the potential to shift into a "Red" if the impact is great enough to the point that one can't seem to go on. While these "Sour Pink" Gumballs don't necessarily stop one from moving forward, they certainly can cause temporary pauses, significant slowdowns, and get us off-pace leaving a bad taste in the mouth. It has taken me nearly 2 months to resume despite the situation, and I am not fully back at the pace I was at.

I can only control my life, but I can't control the life of others whether intentional or not intentional. The Gumball machine may be filled with more "Sour Pinks" than I would like to acknowledge, but life can't be lived isolated. There is not a day that I don't think about her. I believe there is an element of faith and hope in situations. I will not say this is an inconvenience - she is my Mother, I will never view her as such or say she "ruined" my plans. There will be a time we will all face something or with someone we love or know. The best I (or anyone else) can do is manage and to cope, and try to keep taking steps forward, to keep leaning forward, to be in motion with thought or action for their is just a window of time to be UNSCRIPTED .

This has served as one more wake up call as I get older to look at my own health that I have neglected over the years. What can I learn from the situation of another (in this case of my own Mother)? What would happen if I had to go through that? How can I avoid going through it all together? During the last 2 months, it led me to being closer with my family to appreciate them while I have my own life and they are with me. It led me 4 weeks ago to attend the gym consistently in reasonable duration and to condition in an effort to be more healthy to tell LIFE that you won't do this to me as you did to her.

A decision has to be made in the situation - a choice - to either disregard these "Sour Pink" gumballs, acting as if it doesn't matter by tossing it aside or into the trash can, or by choosing to chew the gritty "Sour Pink" gumballs and to blow bubbles in the midst of the situations.

Keep depositing the quarter and turning the dial.

Sincerely,
LF
Thank you for sharing your story.

I faced the same dichotomy when my aunt was stricken with dementia, and went from a vibrant, hardworking lady, to a paralysed creature that didn't know what the hell went around her.

She had taken care of me as a baby for a while, so naturally, I was pretty angry at the forces that made her condition. I blamed everybody, ranging from relatives, to my own weaknesses.

Then I realised that there were some things that I could never have controlled from the beginning. For instance, my aunt didn't really rest properly or take care of her health in her younger days. Exercise? Fruits and vegetables? Meh.
She also stuck around with very negative people, some which included some family members. If she had chosen back then to walk away from them, she would have met more positive people who could have supported her very well.

She passed away recently. I'm still sore about it.

What can I learn from the situation of another (in this case of my own Mother)? What would happen if I had to go through that? How can I avoid going through it all together?
Obviously, appreciating my parents better, keeping contact with them more often is the first order of the list.

I currently have a balanced diet, eat raw veggies most of the time, walk and jog more often, and I do have sufficient rest, despite the late nights that come with Fastlane.

I have been wondering about the relationship of oxygen content with our general health (the full details can be another thread TBH!). These days, the air around us isn't exactly Grade A air, unless you are in a rural area or you have a lot of plants around you. Maybe my loved ones and myself should stay in places with great oxygen.

I also decided to keep up my contact with my girl, who studying far away from where I am. Long distance.

Most folks might just decide to cut it off eventually, but I have decided to see my girl as a precious individual with a unique set of beliefs and experiences, rather than just another checklist of a perfect lover.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So sorry to hear about your mom, my thoughts and prayers for you and her. Hope they find out what's going on, and she recovers.

I don't think the occurrence is any gumball. Gumballs occur through your action. Life that happens around you is not your doing or under your control.

Now eating recklessly and having a McDonalds diet, that's an action complete with a gumball.

Side note: Here's a video if anyone doesn't know WHY we are talking about gumballs.

LiveFire

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 17, 2017
Hi MJ,

Thank you Sir for your thoughtfulness and support.

I really liked watching the gumball video that you had put together and connects the message in UNSCRIPTED very well. I have a better understanding in the context of occurrence.

Upon looking on your account, I didn't realize you had posted additional videos lately! This is great - I will check your additional newer videos out. I hope that you continue to produce more of these videos related to many of the concepts you discuss - Excellent.

So sorry to hear about your mom, my thoughts and prayers for you and her. Hope they find out what's going on, and she recovers.

I don't think the occurrence is any gumball. Gumballs occur through your action. Life that happens around you is not your doing or under your control.

Now eating recklessly and having a McDonalds diet, that's an action complete with a gumball.

Side note: Here's a video if anyone doesn't know WHY we are talking about gumballs.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.