I'm hoping to generate some discussion and get some feedback on decision making in the process of product/business system creation.
Currently I have an idea for a gadget call it "The Awesome Machine". I've been learning CAD and trying to build a PoC (proof of concept). One tool I thought would be very helpful is a 3D printer. However, I've spent the last 2 months and several hundred dollars trying to learn the art of 3D printing with no useful results. I'm thinking I should abandon the idea of printing prototype components myself and use a printing service like shapeways.com. Here's my pros/cons:
- Unblock my progress on building The Awesome Machine
- Get higher quality results for the parts I design
- Focus on priorities
- Save time
- More dependable
What are your thoughts?
- 3D printing is valuable skill and learning experience (especially for the tinkering I'm doing)
- I have to wait on a service for turnaround on my prototype work
- I trust some of my IP (intellectual property) to a third party
- I forgo some potentially valuable learning
It just occurred to me MJ's Weighted Average Decision Matrix would be helpful here. I'll post mine work up of it later today.