The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When is it ever okay to comfortable in the slowlane?

G

GuestUserX09

Something weird has happened.

I'v always believed in my entrepreneurial ventures first and foremost. Dedicated learning and growth was priority. But.. You know, life has bills. So after finishing school, I began applying to some places.

I found a nice comfy job, top floor, 4 coffee machines, perfect territory to get slowlane living done. A nice healthy check, the perfect setup to live a nice upper-middle class, relaxed life. Not necessarily paycheck to paycheck, but a few months of wiggle room. Previously, I was generally always broke and considered a financial failure to my surrounding community.

So basically, I've settled in to a nice extent. Got a shiny new car (see avatar) and looking to buy a nice quaint home in the suburbs. So here is my question.

This right now life seems easy, manageable, predictable, and very comfortable. Of course I understand the upside to entrepreneurship but this slowlane stuff is an upgrade for me and feels nice. For those who currently have cozy corner office type situations, what pushes you to continue your hustle?

I still do my reading at night and podcasts in the car while in traffic but.. I literally have no time to hustle like I previously have. Sure I could grab 8pm-midnight and weekends and make it work but, I had no idea that the horrific, sad, treacherous slowlane life actually felt so good.

Is anyone here in a comfy 9-5 (8-6) type job? Are you still fighting for more, just as hard as before?
When is it okay to be comfortable with a slowlane life, if at all? Is your eye still on the prize?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta

I'v always believed in my entrepreneurial ventures first and foremost. Dedicated learning and growth was priority. But.. You know, life has bills. So after finishing school, I began applying to some places.

I found a nice comfy job, top floor, 4 coffee machines, perfect territory to get slowlane living done. A nice healthy check, the perfect setup to live a nice upper-middle class, relaxed life. Not necessarily paycheck to paycheck, but a few months of wiggle room. Previously, I was generally always broke and considered a financial failure to my surrounding community.

So basically, I've settled in to a nice extent. Got a shiny new car (see avatar) and looking to buy a nice quaint home in the suburbs. So here is my question.

This right now life seems easy, manageable, predictable, and very comfortable. Of course I understand the upside to entrepreneurship but this slowlane stuff is an upgrade for me and feels nice. For those who currently have cozy corner office type situations, what pushes you to continue your hustle?

I still do my reading at night and podcasts in the car while in traffic but.. I literally have no time to hustle like I previously have. Sure I could grab 8pm-midnight and weekends and make it work but, I had no idea that the horrific, sad, treacherous slowlane life actually felt so good.

Is anyone here in a comfy 9-5 (8-6) type job? Are you still fighting for more, just as hard as before?
When is it okay to be comfortable with a slowlane life, if at all? Is your eye still on the prize?

Im an engineer in my day job.......

But I will never EVER EVER get too comfortable they could increase my salary to 150K it wouldn't matter. Because at the end of the day they control my destiny they can fire me whenever they desire. Dealing with corporate america politics and traffic...oh god could I really commute to work for the next 40 years of my life 5 days a week? NO absolutely not.

Then again this is really my passion I enjoy building things and brands and connecting with people.

Say economy tanks in 10 years. Lose job and have maybe 100K saved up a years living then you are forced to find another job what if you have a family?
I want to build near indestructible wealth so that my family and extended family can be taken care of if/when it is needed.

The SlowLane is fine for some but no matter what, I dont care how many failures I endure will I ever stop doing what makes me happy, THIS.

If all it takes is a comfort zone to make someone forget about their goals, then maybe entrepreneurship isn't for them.

G

Guest34764

It's always okay to be comfortable in the slowlane!

In fact, you should be comfortable and have a great and easy time.

I heard if you make put a little bit of that paycheck away you could easily retire at 65.

It's never too late to start, so just do it.If you don't start now you might not retire until 70,and that would be disastrous.

You can do exactly what I just described above, or you can get shit done.The amount of wealth you desire is not easily achievable, and every day someone is beating you to it.

Every day, someone is working harder than you, putting in the work you didn't want to do today.They'll stay up for hours through the night just to finish something so insignificant to their goals, but It had to be done.

So rest easy, knowing your life is not like that other guy.That other guy is working to his bones, but as Gary would say, he's playing the long game.

So you can rest easy, or you can start milking that job for all it's worth and start getting the shit that needs to be done, done.

This post was more on the dramatic side, but I felt pretty hyped writing this, so I just wrote it all out.Avoid comfort in the slowlane, it's the nail in the coffin for regular people, good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GuestUserX09

If all it takes is a comfort zone to make someone forget about their goals, then maybe entrepreneurship isn't for them.

I thought this was very profound- I've always been dead set on entrepreneurship, while I was broke. Even if I was having some small business success, I was far from comfortable. I believe this is my first time meeting "middle class comfort" and I'm almost scared that it doesn't seem so bad, for now.

I promise,
I believe in entrepreneurship for the reasons you described + freedom of time, etc.. but the whole hunger factor has just gotten much harder for me after getting a taste of my current situation. Interestingly enough, it all seemed easier when I was near broke.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

Like MJ says, and as I have learned to stop judging other people's decisions.

It's perfectly ok if you're truly happy man.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/does-it-hurt-bad-enough.55733/

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
Im an engineer in my day job.......

But I will never EVER EVER get too comfortable they could increase my salary to 150K it wouldn't matter. Because at the end of the day they control my destiny they can fire me whenever they desire. Dealing with corporate america politics and traffic...oh god could I really commute to work for the next 40 years of my life 5 days a week? NO absolutely not.

Then again this is really my passion I enjoy building things and brands and connecting with people.

Say economy tanks in 10 years. Lose job and have maybe 100K saved up a years living then you are forced to find another job what if you have a family?
I want to build near indestructible wealth so that my family and extended family can be taken care of if/when it is needed.

The SlowLane is fine for some but no matter what, I dont care how many failures I endure will I ever stop doing what makes me happy, THIS.

I thought this was very profound- I've always been dead set on entrepreneurship, while I was broke. Even if I was having some small business success, I was far from comfortable. I believe this is my first time meeting "middle class comfort" and I'm almost scared that it doesn't seem so bad, for now.

I promise,
I believe in entrepreneurship for the reasons you described + freedom of time, etc.. but the whole hunger factor has just gotten much harder for me after getting a taste of my current situation. Interestingly enough, it all seemed easier when I was near broke.

You like where you are now....now do this exercise with me...

Imagine for a second you have everything you desire nice car good paying job 401k Keurig machine...the works...

Now visualize yourself walking into your job 10 years down the road and hearing your boss explain why they are down sizing....

Now continue to imagine if you have savings you are now trying to scale back your lifestyle until you can hopefully land another high paying job. That trip to Italy cancelled.
That new 2026 BMW not happening.

Worse case scenario someone dear to you gets sick and blue Cross blue shield won't cover the needed medical expense. The 100k you saved is diminishing fast. Companies aren't hiring right now if you're married what if your wife isn't working.

I could go on and on

That drive and fire has to be burning so hot that no salary or level of comfort could put it out.
Because in a blink of an eye your employer could go belly up and take your nice 401k with them.

Use that job as leverage, leverage to build real estate portfolios, start business, etc etc.....

G

GuestUserX09

It's perfectly ok if you're truly happy man.

Wow.. hasn't even crossed my mind. Interesting. Its been over a year since visiting any hardcore self help books.. May need a few "what is happiness" type book refreshers..:confused:

G

GuestUserX09

@Mr.Chaos wow, luckily after some wine I was able to immerse into that scenario- that feeling is crushing. ++

Point taken, I never want to be there. It's amazing how this bit of lifestyle change seems to has also came with a pair of blinders.

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
I know people who are happy with "living off the land". Its all a matter of opinion and life style choice.

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
@Mr.Chaos wow, luckily after some wine I was able to immerse into that scenario- that feeling is crushing. ++

Point taken, I never want to be there. It's amazing how this bit of lifestyle change seems to has also came with a pair of blinders.

Np man I can't remember who said it.

"The greatest trap is the middle class, because youre comfortable enough to settle and not reach any further."

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
I know people who are happy with "living off the land". Its all a matter of opinion and life style choice.

Very true however I highly doubt they have found their way to this forum. People who visit this forum obviously thirst for more...more freedom, more security

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach

You like where you are now....now do this exercise with me...

Imagine for a second you have everything you desire nice car good paying job 401k Keurig machine...the works...

Now visualize yourself walking into your job 10 years down the road and hearing your boss explain why they are down sizing....

Now continue to imagine if you have savings you are now trying to scale back your lifestyle until you can hopefully land another high paying job. That trip to Italy cancelled.
That new 2026 BMW not happening.

Worse case scenario someone dear to you gets sick and blue Cross blue shield won't cover the needed medical expense. The 100k you saved is diminishing fast. Companies aren't hiring right now if you're married what if your wife isn't working.

I could go on and on

That drive and fire has to be burning so hot that no salary or level of comfort could put it out.
Because in a blink of an eye your employer could go belly up and take your nice 401k with them.

Use that job as leverage, leverage to build real estate portfolios, start business, etc etc.....

This really hit home for me. Wise words @Mr.Chaos

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
Very true however I highly doubt they have found their way to this forum. People who visit this forum obviously thirst for more...more freedom, more security

-I deleted the third part to my post, but I will add it here since you mentioned that:

High income is very valuable to me, because money buys freedom. I want to be my own boss, and not work for someone else's dreams.

- Vito M.

G

GuestUserX09

@Vitom Im 100% sure that's not me. I do like some conveniences, etc. I never wanted to be very ornate and ostentatious.. But I want free time, seems that's my still missing factor to chase.

G

GuestUserX09

"The greatest trap is the middle class, because youre comfortable enough to settle and not reach any further."

It was so easy to hate on the middle class from below- it's funny how I catch myself now saying "This right here, it's not so bad".

But yes, I think I'm more convinced now than ever that it's a trap. A damn good one. I see how a so many millions get trapped in this.

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
@Vitom Im 100% sure that's not me. I do like some conveniences, etc. I never wanted to be very ornate and ostentatious.. But I want free time, seems that's my still missing factor to chase.

Oh yes Sir, I don't doubt that one bit. But like you just said, you are 100% sure. That being said, ask yourself... what shoes do you want to fill in 10 years? Sometimes the answer will change, & it should.

- Vito M.

G

GuestUserX09

what shoes do you want to fill in 10 years?

I think I found the revelation I was looking for here. As comfy as it is now, several years from now, chances are I'll be unhappy with the situation.

It's winning short game and loosing long game.. Not even so long. Even 10 years of this and I'm sure I'd feel very unfulfilled and be wanting a way out to the real goals.

It's just good enough to be content, for now, I'm really connecting to the idea that the comfort won't last or matchup to my real goals, my long game plan.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
It's pretty much always okay to be comfortable in the slowlane, if you're happy with your life.

If you're satisfied, why start lying to yourself and saying you need to be an entrepreneur? Maybe that's not for you.

My advice, if you aren't seriously committed to being and entrepreneur, enjoy your life right now, and wait until, or if, you have the tugging urge to take on business.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I used to work with a guy who had the same job for 20 years. He worked 9-5, went home to his wife and played with the kids.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that lifestyle. It's not what I want but I can't fault him. He has everything he needs.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Wow.. hasn't even crossed my mind. Interesting. Its been over a year since visiting any hardcore self help books.. May need a few "what is happiness" type book refreshers..:confused:

Books can give you new perspectives on life that have not occurred to you.
That's what The Millionaire Fastlane did for me.
It defined happiness as Freedom,Health, and Family.
I think that's beautiful and have adopted that definition.

I don't feel free working a 9-5 so I'm not happy.
My coworker does feel free working a 9-5 and says he's happy.

You decide for yourself.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

You just have to understand that this easy job can be taken from you at any time. You can walk into work tomorrow and find out that the company has closed. If you are ok living with that type of risk then it's fine. I was in the dot com boom and I had 6 jobs in 10 years. I was young and changing and finding new jobs was fine and easy for me. Now I see how risky a job is when compared to owning your own established business.

While my business may fail, it will not blindside me. I would know months before of impending doom and more importantly, I could DO something about it.

During my work years, twice I went into work and found out it was my last day. Even though I put in hours and worked hard, it didn't matter if your company got bought out, or if they changed directions.

Also, are you ok with 2-3 weeks of vacation every year? This was probably the biggest reason I hated work. I would have taken 75% pay to work 9 months out of the year. Wasting my years in an office at a job was just eating away at me.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
If you're happy, then you're happy. Don't overthink it. Don't ask us to change your mindset. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Personally, I can't be happy working for someone else. I know what I enjoy, and I value having control and freedom more than anything. Hence why I rather opt out of the slowlane.

87% of people don't like going to work.

Think about that.

87% of people don't like going to work. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...people-worldwide-actually-like-going-to-work/)

And about half of your waking hours are spent on work, getting to work, etc.

If you enjoy the slowlane, then awesome. 50% of your life is already great. Then you can also enjoy the other 50% with the slowlane income. There's nothing wrong with that.

But if you're only enjoying what that job pays for ... then you're doing it wrong.

To me, the Fastlane is about having the ability to enjoy 100% of your life. A job for me is an impediment to that. For you it might be different.

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 1, 2015

I been in the slow lane for 10+ years and it is indeed comfortable. Looking back however, I can see how my career has shaped me, rather than me shaping my career/ lifestyle. I believe a big part is giving yourself the freedom and opportunity to be who you really are. If you draw complete happiness from the slowlane then that is where you should be. The problem is the slowlane is a two-faced con artist. You get comfortable with a regular paycheck and then wake up one day (by reading the MFL for example) and realise that in return for the new car and nice house it has stolen your life and dreams!

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Hey look, no one is judging you for liking your slowlane job right now :)

For F*cks sake, enjoy it! You achieved this goal and you are in this place and you are comfortable with it right now, so guess what, F*ck it! Let it be :) Congratulations man, most people can't even get to that point, so I am truly happy for you :)

Now on the other hand, I'd like to share a perspective I figured out for myself that you might like: I view the stages in life as "Comfort Levels". So you are in a slowlane, you have a nice paycheck, comfy job, and a shiny new BMW. F*ck, that's awesome! Treat it as a comfort level that you are in. Enjoy it. Love it.

Now enjoy it for some time: a week, month, a year, however long it may need for you. The next step is the instance you feel a little bit discomfortable, you ask yourself: am I still happy with the current comfort level, or not? If the answer is no, picture what the next comfort level would be, say the same lifestyle, but more freedom, and really envision it so that you have a clear idea of what to aim for, and go F*cking grind until you get it.

I believe it's as simple as that. Enjoy life, you never know if tomorrow will be your last day. Who the F*ck knows, I mean you are living in an incredible machine that's made up of billions of cells that somehow F*cking work together.

Enjoy it, that's my 2 cents :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.