The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When, if ever, is it okay to talk actual numbers?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I guess the title is pretty self explanatory, but I've never been in this sort of position before: talking to people about business, getting involved with others, etc.

Between friends, family, strangers, mastermind groups, or other entrepreneurs, when it is ok to talk about actual numbers. Revenue, sales figures, profit, percentages, anything else besides the usual rah rah motivational hype.

The last thing I want to do is come off as having a big head.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
the only people i wouldnt mind honestly discussing numbers with would obviously investors and my parents

edit: no reason for me to discuss it with friends or any other people that i can think of

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I don't discuss numbers in the family. I learned that it's like shouting stuff from the rooftops.

Ha I totally agree.

The first time I mentioned how well something was going, the reply I got was "Awesome, that means you can give X a job!"

facepalm...

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I only talk numbers with my dad (entrepreneur) and my accountant.

Last edited:

AntEmpire

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 4, 2015
I don't intend to ever talk numbers with anyone, especially my family. Most of them live on the sidewalk and survive by begging and borrowing from others. Instead of numbers, I intend to use generalities to explain my success:

Cousin: how much are you making from your business?

Me: enough to pay my bills.

Done.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
It's nobody's business. Unless a specific reason comes up where it would be required for some business related issue, it's never appropriate.

G

GuestUser113

Broadcasting that type of information leads to the crazies coming at you with their hands out.

Blackadder

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Sep 17, 2013
The Ozark Mountains
The only people who get to know exact numbers are those i'd let make a withdrawal for me. (if you don't have my ring on or are in "bed with me" so to speak it isn't happening)

Also if asked how i'm doing "the pay is ok, but it makes me happy" is all the answer most people want...and far less people get jealous over "happy" then get mad over $$$$$$

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I don't intend to ever talk numbers with anyone, especially my family. Most of them live on the sidewalk and survive by begging and borrowing from others. Instead of numbers, I intend to use generalities to explain my success:

Cousin: how much are you making from your business?

Me: enough to pay my bills.

Done.
Yes. As in the past, it's time to pull out this gem:

The only people who get to know exact numbers are those i'd let make a withdrawal for me. (if you don't have my ring on or are in "bed with me" so to speak it isn't happening)

Also if asked how i'm doing "the pay is ok, but it makes me happy" is all the answer most people want...and far less people get jealous over "happy" then get mad over $$$$$$
I like that. From now on, I will say "not much, but at least I do what I love", which is amusingly the opposite of the truth.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
If you can trust someone then there's nothing wrong with talking about money, but there aren't many people you can trust with that information. My wife is going to be staying at home soon, so I'll be going with "it helps make up for my wife's old job" if anyone asks.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
"Men lie, women lie. Numbers don't lie."

when trying to help someone with their biz, the first thing I talk to them is about their numbers.
Got to know where you're at before you know where you're going right.

Numbers tell the true story of what's going on. What to stop doing, where to start improving, what direction to start going.

Guess that's life as a marketer :)

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
when trying to help someone with their biz, the first thing I talk to them is about their numbers.
Thats a completely different thing than being quiet about your own numbers to avoid unwanted attention and leeches.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.