The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When do you find the time to read?

anunez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 13, 2007
Bay area
I have gotten out of the habit of reading and want to get back into it but I just can never find the time anymore. I know we are all busy people but can anyone share their personal reading habits. Maybe give me some ideas. Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
These days there realy isn't a whole lot of good things on TV. There may be a few programs I watch each day but I spend the other time reading. Also, be sure to always carry a book with you in case you are waiting for an appointment to see your doctor, waiting for your car to get repaired, etc. There are times throughout everyone's day when even for a few minutes they can get some reading in. Sometimes I set a goal for myself to read a chapter a day. That shouldn't take very long at all. And then the next thing you know you're done.

Photoreading sounds interesting but I have yet to try it. I used sppedreading in college and that help a lot.

Tom

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Making time for reading is a choice. You can read, or sleep. You can read or watch the newest reality TV show. You can go out and party with friends, or read.

I have time every single day because I've been enrolled in my favorite university for 25 years+ ..... Toilet University. Everytime you sit on the toilet, read a few minutes of a book, or use on of Diane's fast reading techniques.

Ive turned my personal toilet space into a library. This ensures I get my daily dose of reading and education. This ensures there is no excuse for not reading since removal of bodily waste is a mandatory activity. But best of all, at Toilet University, enrollment is FREE and classes are everyday.

Also, I read in dead time ... when I hit the gym and do low-impact cardio (stationary bikes, ellipticals) I always bring a book or magazine. I love getting double-duty from my time (exercise and education consumes 1 time slot).

Since you are in the Bay Area, you could probably read everytime you ride BART. Also in high traffic metro cities, you can listen to audio books while stuck in traffic.

Redshft

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 5, 2007
Greenville, NC
Making time for reading is a choice. You can read, or sleep. You can read or watch the newest reality TV show. You can go out and party with friends, or read.

I have time every single day because I've been enrolled in my favorite university for 25 years+ ..... Toilet University. Everytime you sit on the toilet, read a few minutes of a book, or use on of Diane's fast reading techniques.

Ive turned my personal toilet space into a library. This ensures I get my daily dose of reading and education. This ensures there is no excuse for not reading since removal of bodily waste is a mandatory activity. But best of all, at Toilet University, enrollment is FREE and classes are everyday.

Also, I read in dead time ... when I hit the gym and do low-impact cardio (stationary bikes, ellipticals) I always bring a book or magazine. I love getting double-duty from my time (exercise and education consumes 1 time slot).

Since you are in the Bay Area, you could probably read everytime you ride BART. Also in high traffic metro cities, you can listen to audio books while stuck in traffic.

:iagree: I set aside a "me" time on the pooper every day. I have to take care of my body's business anyway, so I grab a book to take along with me and don't leave til I have at least a chapter finished. I also take a book with me to the gym, like MJ said for low impact cardio days. Every night before I got to bed, I pick up a book for about 15-30 mins. Last semester I was a radio DJ and while songs were playing I was reading(if you have a down time at work or during a daily routine, USE IT). Just find opportunities to "stack" your time. Eating breakfast in the morning, cooking dinner(sometimes you have to wait 10-20 mins for something to bake), if you know you're gonna be waiting in a long line at the DMV or a waiting room...

I tried reading while walking to class, I almost got hit by a car.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
The advantage to MJ's reading routine is that if he finds that he needs more time to read, he just adds a fiber pill to his daily diet... :)

Seriously though, that's probably where I get half my reading done as well...

I am NOT borrowing books from any of you guys.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Everything comes back to a Seinfeld episode.... Uncle Leo!!!

I think it was POPPY who didn't wash his hands!

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=ElWNFgMqGuE"]YouTube - Frank Caliendo Seinfeld 2027 - Frank TV starts Nov 20 on tbs[/ame]

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
The advantage to MJ's reading routine is that if he finds that he needs more time to read, he just adds a fiber pill to his daily diet... :)

Seriously though, that's probably where I get half my reading done as well...

Think green!

When you're done with a chapter, use it instead of TP!
LOTS of reading going on during flu season.:smxD:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
You have time for everything you want... it all comes down to priorities. Work, for example, 'just' takes a third of your day, while sleep takes another third. What about the other third? what do you do everyday? what of those activities is less important for you than reading? Identify that activity and replace it with reading time. Yup, it is that simple (I said simple, not easy, as it depends on you priorities in life).

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
Everytime you sit on the toilet, read a few minutes of a book, or use one of Diane's fast reading techniques.

Ok, if you combine MJ and Diane's techniques you will likely read a book per sitting. I wouldn't recommend telling people you read a whole book everytime you go, they'll think you REALLY have a problem! :smx5:

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I take a bath every night, and I use this time to read, drink a glass of wine and journal.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I read all day during downtime, which is great because I work from home and have a lot of down time :)

Other than that, before sleep in bed every night is a great habit. My other half watches trashy entertainment news on TV, and I read personal improvement and real estate books ;)

- Hakrjak:coffee:

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
Bath or Jacuzzi.

And ditto to MJ. Sometimes I skip out in TV or parties or friends in order to just pull out a book and read. Right now I'm reading "Losing my Virginity" by Richard Branson and I can't put it down.

thecoach

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 29, 2007
Regina, SK, Canada
I schedule it right into my day. 7:30am-9:00am each morning is my 'learning time'. I find that if I don't have a set time, it's easy to make an excuse not to do it. If I've got nothing on the go in the evenings I might read a little more then too.

anunez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 13, 2007
Bay area
Diane Kennedy,you are my hero. You took part of the Rich Dad Poor Dad endeavor which I am a big fan of and you personally know allot of influential people. I am definitely going to take all of your advice. So if you say photo reading is the way to go then that is good enough for me. Can you recommend a photo reading course or a book that you personally recommend. And also you mentioned a book on mapping. What do you recommend I do first?

Legacy Dad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 3, 2007
Worldwide, depending on the month.
I read the bible when I get up, trying to read the whole thing this year.

I listen to an audio book from audible while I'm showering and getting ready and then usually read for 30 min. before going to bed.

I also get free podcasts and listen to them in the car.

Currently listening to Dave Ramsey and Joel Osteen
and
Reading the 25th Anniversary of "The Road Less Traveled"

Lance

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content