• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Get answers about starting a business from real entrepreneurs. Powered by Google.

What's your opinion on blinkist.com ?

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by Alex Nolte, Apr 8, 2018.

1. eliquid

eliquid ( Jason Brown ) Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $36,670
    Seems like most have said what I am about to say...

I've been on blinkist for 3 years now.

Here is my process. Though might be overkill for some.

1. I scroll through Blinkist and find books that might be interesting to me.
    2. I save them and read through the summary.
    3. If the summary is good ( meaning good to my interest ), then I might buy the book/kindle/audio and go deeper with the real thing.
    4. I read through "Blinks" of books I already read ( maybe 1-4 years ago ) and get a refresher of the topic.​

I have found if you just ONLY read the blinks/summary, you can miss out on a ton. By a ton, I mean A TON. However, using it as a pre-filter I can get an idea if the book is something I want to dig deeper into.

Lots of gems are missed compared to reading the book/audio/kindle and those gems add up. Also all the "reading between the lines" is missed too.

I use it as a "filter" for new books.

I use it to "remember" topics and high level of older books I have already read.

I also back this process up with Sivers' summary of books available at BOOKS | Derek Sivers

Although this sounds like a lot of work, I actually like getting my own view of what the books are about, AND ALSO the views of others like Derek Sivers or the person summarizing the books. Sometimes a new "angle" can be enlightening and educational.

2. LuckyPup

LuckyPup Digital Wantrepreneur Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $855
    Good approach, and I guess I do the same, but it still seems to be a distraction overall. Plus, I end up with a ton of books in my "to read" list, which creates a bit of anxiety. That's just me.

3. NanoDrake

NanoDrake Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $709
    couldn't sum it any better. thanks a million!

Just argued with a friend of mine couple of months ago on this and out of the blue he said the same things i told months ago...

give this man a medal :D :D :D :D

4. Alex Nolte

Alex Nolte Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $298
    So guys, I know it's been a while since my last reply. After having "tried" a few of the free daily blinks I can now come to the conclusion that what I think the majority of other users on this thread have said already: A blink NEVER replaces a real book. I don't even remember all the books names which summaries I read.

So yeah it gives you a first taste or the main idea, but the fact that you only deal with each book for a few minutes, makes it impossible for you to build a deep connection to the book as you would normally do.

Furthermore I'd say its just too much information at once: You all know that taking action is way more important than learning one theoretical approach after the other but when you get to know new or different principles on a daily basis (through blinkist) you don't even know where to start and kinda lose control.

So for me its just not worth spending that much money when I still have to buy the real book in the end.