The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's your Lambo? (What are you working for?)

D

DeletedUser052

I am working towards...

1. Owning an England based football club (major shareholder of the team).

2. Adopting a remote, underdeveloped village in my country and improving the quality of those peoples lives. Repeat the process with another village and it goes on.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Crexty

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Feb 2, 2018
Arizona
I'm working towards:

1. Financial freedom
2. Own my own home in my dream neighborhood
3. Becoming the best at what I do

a ferrari 458 italia will be nice aswell (Key word: will ;)

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Just a random deep thought.

I found myself mulling through the pages of this thread again, reflecting on my current situation, and things that led to here. Reflecting on where I’m steering life, and about the world that I created for myself with a shallower mind than now.

My old man told me. “You don’t own things son. Things own you”. A man that made more money than most. Had a family, house, cars. Worked hard, work first. Taught me to work hard. Work before family. And eventually, the old lady realized that work would always be first, and she’d rather quit the old man than be his second. Us kids were sent out to whoever else in the family would take us. She made herself first again.

Depression set in on the old man. Struggled to go to work, struggled to find first again without second. Struggles turned into loss of control. When he couldn’t control things, he stopped trying to. And things eventually stopped controlling the old man. Free from things to do. Didn’t have to cut the grass. Didn’t have to work on the house, or the cars. Didn’t have to go to work. Didn’t have to pay bills. Didn’t have to do anything. So he didn’t. He didn’t want to control, or be controlled, anymore.

I planted the old man a couple years back. Practically homeless, separated from all material things. His situation frustrated me, frustrated his daughters. We were all he had left. Cried for what could have been, what he should have been. Cried for what we wanted him to be. We wanted him to try harder, to thrive again. But his reality was - he was free.

What he told me comes back. It comes back when I’m washing cars. Cutting grass, doing flower beds. When I’m cleaning the pool, and the house, the garage. When I’m working really late, alone, because I need to. Because everything I own, really owns me.

I look in the mirror, and in my wife’s eyes. I see age. I see life behind us, maybe as much behind as in front. Always working toward the goal, toward the end result. And the end never gets here, because I always just need one more thing.

And now I sit here alone. My wife out of town because of work, because the things that own us need money. Been working late in the garage, truck needs work. Her car is next, before she gets back I’ve got work to do on it. Because all the things I own, own me.

Go read https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-traveling-the-world.74381/page-3#post-660228 , by @JasonR. In this story, nothing owns him.

Beware the trap. Life is fleeting. Don’t rush into something you have to work to keep, unless you want to work to keep it. Remember what’s really important. And don’t ever forget, what owns who.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Because all the things I own, own me.

I'd agree with the general sentiment except most people (if not pretty much everyone) needs something to do. If you live in a house with a backyard, work around the house gives you something to do. Even if you sometimes grumble about it, you probably feel good after taking care of it. It's certainly better for you than watching TV.

I'd much rather be this retired old guy spending eight hours tending his plants and doing work around the house than being "free" from all of the things and not having anything productive to do.

I don't mean that you should buy as many things as possible just to have something to do; I mean that as long as you're buying things you love, taking care of them should still make you feel good at least occasionally and generate a positive return when it comes to your well-being.

I don't care that much about cars, so I wouldn't be happy if I had to spend several hours a week taking care of my car just to keep it pristine. But I like spending time outside, so tending a big garden wouldn't be such a chore for me. I'd probably complain every now and then, but overall owning it (and it owning me) would still make me happier than not owning it and being stuck in a small rental apartment.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
I'd agree with the general sentiment except most people (if not pretty much everyone) needs something to do. If you live in a house with a backyard, work around the house gives you something to do. Even if you sometimes grumble about it, you probably feel good after taking care of it. It's certainly better for you than watching TV.

I'd much rather be this retired old guy spending eight hours tending his plants and doing work around the house than being "free" from all of the things and not having anything productive to do.

I don't mean that you should buy as many things as possible just to have something to do; I mean that as long as you're buying things you love, taking care of them should still make you feel good at least occasionally and generate a positive return when it comes to your well-being.

I don't care that much about cars, so I wouldn't be happy if I had to spend several hours a week taking care of my car just to keep it pristine. But I like spending time outside, so tending a big garden wouldn't be such a chore for me. I'd probably complain every now and then, but overall owning it (and it owning me) would still make me happier than not owning it and being stuck in a small rental apartment.

Agreed. Balance and acceptance is key.

If I’m lucky, I'll be the old guy toiling in my garden. I'm ok if it owns me, I enjoy it and I chose it that way. But now I know to ask myself, if I'm ok with what I'm getting into owns me. Being owned by something, consumed by it, can be blissful. Or it can be tainted with regret and obligation. Just my .000002 BTC, from watching a life both unfold and fold up.

Last edited:

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
I've put this in off topic as it is more dreamer than progress but thought it would be fun to know peoples reasons for going into business/wanting to make a decent amount of money. MJ spoke about wanting to be the driver of his own lambo. Some want freedom or time with your kids. Mine, I want to emigrate with my family to the U.S. and unless you go the marriage route (which i doubt my wife would appreciate ha!) or have a degree(NOPE!) the only other way is to have money/business assets. That's what keeps my flame burning bright. How about you?

One simple thing...I want to be a dog. I want to remove indentured time and the hyper reality of scripted days from my life. Like MJ says, your dog doesn't know the difference between Tuesday and Saturday. It's the same day/night sequence for him. I want to live life on my terms not those set by others.

That's my lambo...being a dog.

goldstein

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Oct 31, 2017
1391377233393937.jpg

I'm naming it "The temple of Serenity"

12B745

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 10, 2017
US
I've got things I want. Big house, exotic animal menagerie of various fish, amphibians and reptiles, nice cars. I want to be able to have the free time to enjoy simple things like a drive around, or playing the newest video game.

However, I want even more than that. I want to get my non-profit off the ground and actually do what a non-profit does. Give their proceeds to the selected charity or cause, unlike a handful of other big, "non-profits." I want to be able to fund research so less people will have to go through what my family has again.

Currently reading unscripted , almost done. Will report back with my thoughts and ideas soon.

Burning Desire

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 8, 2018
London
Literally
A Lamborghini Huracan Performante (and wealthy enough not to care about the cost of damaging it).

Taking the question seriously
Owning equity in businesses that generates so much free cash flow that working for someone else doesn't make sense anymore.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
1391377233393937.jpg

I'm naming it "The temple of Serenity"

I like! But can't you imagine the mosquitoes in the summer? haha

Me: Freedom- a broad term meant to say:
  • Freedom to say what I want (no repercussions on any statements whether political or not)
  • Freedom to go where I want (In a split-second, buy a plane ticket now- not 2 weeks/months from now)
  • Own my own income (2+ sources)
  • Freedom to live where I want to

Tris

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jan 5, 2018
New York
I am working towards

1. Financial freedom- to do whatever I want, whenever I want without having to think twice about it.

2. Properties for my family. Not living in a cramped apartment with 3 people sharing a room.

3. Foundations that make a difference. There are way too many foster children in the system and I feel like it is my duty to help contribute by having foundations developed to help them specifically. I have met people who didn't go to school for 10 yrs because their foster parents didn't care. It's like.. the system is so broken and so many are abused.

I also feel like it is my duty to help with urban development without it being for my personal gain. I say this to say, a lot of people come to my neighborhood to buy out the properties so that they can raise property value and push us out. However, I would like to help with the urban development, but without it affecting the people who have lived here for decades. I have no issue with gentrification but i do have an issue with trying to push people out of their neighborhoods by making it unlivable. NYC is already expensive. We don't need it to be more expensive.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
One simple thing...I want to be a dog. I want to remove indentured time and the hyper reality of scripted days from my life. Like MJ says, your dog doesn't know the difference between Tuesday and Saturday. It's the same day/night sequence for him. I want to live life on my terms not those set by others.

That's my lambo...being a dog.
Sounds great -- BUT, won't you get bored? Humans all need a little bit of stress to keep them awake and engaged. Dogs sleep an average of 20 hours a day. On the other hand, my dogs have a good life. They play, eat, shit and sleep without a worry in the world...

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Probably two businesses.

Expand my current Digital Marketing Agency to 10k+ per month, then create a RE comapny with focus on Rentals for more cash flow. Also a nonprofit based around prosthetics (I'm a double amputee), and i want it to be bad. a$$.

First two would pretty much be infinitely scaleable, give me a decently predictable cash flow, and then i can pursue more risky things. More creative ventures like Youtube, making actual art, creating a product, more stuff with nonprofit, etc.

I've put together some really cool projects and would love to be able to have more power/freedom to do more of that. And experience all that life has to offer, including cars, adventures in other countries, and more.

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
Sounds great -- BUT, won't you get bored? Humans all need a little bit of stress to keep them awake and engaged. Dogs sleep an average of 20 hours a day. On the other hand, my dogs have a good life. They play, eat, sh*t and sleep without a worry in the world...

It's really just a metaphor. I would keep busy. Just with stuff I want to do rather than what I'm forced to do on someone else's clock.

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
936%
Jun 7, 2008
Well, since I already got the lambo lol... I posted in that thread what motivates me now:

I am working to make my employees successful (and happy) and to bring happiness and value to my customers. I am working to serve others.

My favorite things on this journey (aside from the new friends I have made along the way) has been tackling challenges I set for myself, helping my employees grow (who are now like my family), and becoming a better human being through personal development. Make it your mission to serve others (employees, customers, etc.) and your success will be a bi-product. That is my new goal in life.

Adam Rehák

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Feb 5, 2018
Shenzhen
It is lovely to hear to all of those goals you all set in your lives

In my case I want to own Aston Martin DB11 by the age of 30 (now I am 20), there is one condition, I will be able to afford this car without thinking about if I can afford it.

The second aim is to donate 50 000 euro to different organizations by the age of 28 and projects in my home city which has only 22 000 inhabitants. I want to see my city prosper and the seeds I will grow there will keep me happy.

Of course, there is plenty of more, but then it would be too long for you to read, good luck on achieving your goals fellas

giovanni93

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Jan 19, 2018
California
Always had a few answers in my head, but I'm pretty scattered brain when collecting my thoughts, so writing them here is actually a good idea!

1) Family
I want to be able to retire my parents. I want to contribute back to my parents because they work their asses off for my siblings and I. Also, I want to buy my parents a Rolls Royce and pay for the vacation of their dreams.

2) Financial Freedom
Pretty self-explanatory, it's necessary for me able to have the freedom to truly decide what I want to do unlike what I am doing right now trying to just earn money in a job I can barely wrap my head around.

3) Helping People & Solving Problems Through My Business/Solutions
Currently, in my career (pharmacy), I am able helping people with their health, but I want to be my own boss and help people through my business and solutions. I guess you can phrase this as helping others on my own terms (although that sounds like I just want to help people when it's convenient lol, which is not my intention).

4) Nice House & Nice Car
I can't say my exact specifics on either though!

5) Prove I Am Able to Succeed on My Own
I want to be able to show myself and the world that I am able to be a success regardless of circumstances and prove to myself that I am able to provide great value.

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
My parents' car is as good as done.

One of my main goals is to buy them a new one.

My lambo is giving someone else a lambo.

ChrisR

Diamond Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Nov 11, 2017
Republic of Kekistan
I want to...

• Take my mom to Europe before she passes.
  • Buy my mom a house.
  • Be free from working for the man.
  • Travel the world with my beautiful wife.
  • Own a beautiful house.
  • Own a small car collection.
  • Learn to fly.
  • Own a restored WW2 German fighter plane.
-Chris

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
My lambo is an awesome high-rise apartment in the center of an awesome city with great view. That would be my ultimate material symbol of "I'm a winner now".

This is what rich looks like to me:
94359e020c0bc44f3f02fcaefbe3a8f8.jpg

After the experiences I've had with traffic, the idea of owning a car makes me cringe a little, so I'd be an unlikely registrant to the lambo club. I'd rather just live somewhere where public transport options are so great I never even think "I wish I had a car".

Beyond this, I want, combined:
  • To be seen as a high ranking man
  • To have every possible personal service taken care of. I don't want to have to even put clothes in my wardrobe -- the laundry service would be basket-to-wardrobe. Not even having to order takeaway myself. Being able to focus 100% of my time on the things that matter to me, with personal overheads as close to zero as possible.
  • To have no limitations on travel beyond my desires
  • To never have limited capacity to provide factor into questions of reproduction

kam1kadze

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 4, 2018
London
Hi everyone, just joined the forum after reading the Fastlane Millionaire.

My lambo is having a location independent business. I am a travel addict and my dream is to have a prosperous online venture, that I could run while travelling the world. That's it, at least before I'll turn 30.

I'm aiming at earning a decent income, that could allow me to maintain the lifestyle I dream about while saving a good chunk of it. However, I am lucky enough to not be motivated by purely materialistic motives. I just don't buy the idea that the mansion with swimming pool, luxury car and golden Rolex could make me happy.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
To own my time 100%.

The best WIN of all.

And with that WIN, what will you do with your prize?

Write? Volunteer? Save the whales? Get the band back together?

Dave Daily

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Feb 22, 2018
Chico, CA
The best WIN of all.

And with that WIN, what will you do with your prize?

Write? Volunteer? Save the whales? Get the band back together?

1. Pay my F*cking student loans off. lol
  2. Start the next business in a better position.
    1. Beat Elon to Mars?? ;)
  3. Become more useful and helpful to other entrepreneurs, both here and wherever, especially my 3 children. My 10 year old has a pretty strong entrepreneurial drive. I took her out door to door selling slime and she made $100 on pure cuteness. She's done this on her own a few times since. Now she wants to be a youtuber.
  4. Start a non-profit — I've always had a soft spot for the homeless as there have been times when I've felt that could easily be me. I'd like to create a tiny home community that is also a farmer's market. Homeless people get tiny homes with lawn care and maid service. In exchange they get a backyard and training on how to grow a particular crop. The tiny house community would be designed so that all the backyards face a place where people can drive up and buy produce. The homes, services, and training are free and in exchange the community gets fresh produce. I don't know if it would fly, but if it doesn't, I'd want to help the homeless get on their feet in some other way.
  5. Buy apartments
  6. Travel the world to buy and sell property while also learning history
  7. While traveling, I'd write a novel.
  8. Lease or maybe own an electric car—I like the design of the Fisker E-Motion.Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 2.06.22 PM.png
  9. Hire a personal trainer
  10. Learn the guitar and the piano, get voice lessons. I'd write some songs and perform. I like James Taylor, Jack Johnson style music.
  11. Get a bigger place with some nice amenities. I've never had a pool, so that would be nice.
  12. Start caring about nice clothes? lol
  13. Sell the next business for a bigger amount.
  14. Start the next business.
  15. Repeat steps 13 & 14 ad infinitum.
  16. Give the eternal middle finger to my ex.:innocent: :halo::rofl:

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
  1. Pay my f*cking student loans off. lol
  3. Become more useful and helpful to other entrepreneurs, both here and wherever, especially my 3 children. My 10 year old has a pretty strong entrepreneurial drive. I took her out door to door selling slime and she made $100 on pure cuteness. She's done this on her own a few times since. Now she wants to be a youtuber.
  4. Start a non-profit — I've always had a soft spot for the homeless as there have been times when I've felt that could easily be me. I'd like to create a tiny home community that is also a farmer's market. Homeless people get tiny homes with lawn care and maid service. In exchange they get a backyard and training on how to grow a particular crop. The tiny house community would be designed so that all the backyards face a place where people can drive up and buy produce. The homes, services, and training are free and in exchange the community gets fresh produce. I don't know if it would fly, but if it doesn't, I'd want to help the homeless get on their feet in some other way.
  5. Buy apartments
  8. Lease or maybe own an electric car—I like the design of the Fisker E-Motion.View attachment 18568
  10. Learn the guitar and the piano, get voice lessons. I'd write some songs and perform. I like James Taylor, Jack Johnson style music.
  11. Get a bigger place with some nice amenities. I've never had a pool, so that would be nice.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
  1. Pay my f*cking student loans off. lol
  5. Buy apartments
  8. Lease or maybe own an electric car—I like the design of the Fisker E-Motion.View attachment 18568
  13. Sell the next business for a bigger amount.
  14. Start the next business.
  15. Repeat steps 13 & 14 ad infinitum.
  16. Give the eternal middle finger to my ex.:innocent: :halo::rofl:
Over my lifetime, I've done several things on your bucket list. You've created a good list...
#1 was a biggie for my various college degrees, and all have been paid off many years ago
#4 didn't work the way you've projected... But as a side project, I helped start, and then I was chairman of the board for a women's & children's shelter. That work lasted several years & it is one of the highlights of my life.
FYI. No, the women wouldn't work in the garden we tried to grow. Our real job with them was teaching them basic living skills -- like getting up in the morning and cleaning up after themselves.
#5 done that -- still in the residential rental business. Rentals are a PITA to manage, but it is a good passive income business. And it's the bright spot in the real estate world.
#9 yes, he was a real cutie -- need I say more?
#11 Yes, it was fun, but I prefer living in the woods here in Alaska, where I have my own cross country skiing/walking trails.
#12 designer clothes aren't important anymore -- I'm into being comfortable. Not only that, talking about a depreciating asset! Designer clothes are the worst. Wear that garment once and they are worthless before you even get the CC bill.
#16 done -- long ago. I figure that ditching me was his loss. It's made me free as a bird.
Keeping working on your list! The ride is worth the ticket price.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
My Lambo is a Lambretta; an anniversary cruise, with my wife, along the Mekong River; the ability to look my wife in the eye and say yes you can have it, rather than let's see if we can afford it (I remember being told if you have to ask if you can afford something you can't, a misquote from J P Morgan I think) and a chance to show my son you can do something other than a job, regardless of age.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.