The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's your Lambo? (What are you working for?)

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
I just wanted to say thanks for reminding me to be grateful that I am here in the US. It's a much-needed reminder that there is always someone who would love to have the things you take for granted! I actually lived in Scotland until 3 years ago and I miss the stunning views, great hiking, lovely people, and short/cheap flights to everywhere in Europe! So there's a little grass-is-greenerism. Enjoy the things I miss and can't wait to hear news about your family emigrating ;)

For me the cons more than outweigh the pros. We are leaders in green renewable energy but pay so much for it that elderly people dying because of the cold is the norm. There are stunning views and rolling hills on the one day a year you are not getting battered by the weather. "Free" poor standard healthcare (even if you opt to take insurance you still have to go through the NHS to get a diagnosis which can take years). The weather is terrible. Cheap flights to Europe but massive unemployment, coupled with low wages and extortionate living costs make them hard to afford. Glaswegians (that's a joke they're not that bad). Massive taxes on things like food and fuel even though we are apparently the oil capital of Europe. And of course the weather. I know there are much worse places of course, and I know I am lucky compared to some but the one and only good thing about this place from where I'm sitting is that you can get a degree for £1800 a year as opposed to what the Americans pay. Even then that system is widely abused.

I say this not to complain (really!) I'm just pointing it out from a different perspective(The poor boy raised on a council estate who grew up watching the 30k millionaire oil workers roam about with their "status" treating people like me as if we are shit on their shoe and who are swift to remind you how great it is even though, without their credit ratings they would hardly be better off). It's not nice being somewhere you can't stand. I know there are many others on this forum that are in the same position. That feeling of being trapped can cause you to make some stupid desperate mistakes that you wouldn't make otherwise because maybe, just maybe there's a chance of escape. I'm working on mine and I hope everyone else working on theirs gets what they are working for.

Thanks for the well wishes and I hope one day I can post back here as a proud American. Until then it's back to the grindstone :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
For me the cons more than outweigh the pros. We are leaders in green renewable energy but pay so much for it that elderly people dying because of the cold is the norm. There are stunning views and rolling hills on the one day a year you are not getting battered by the weather. "Free" poor standard healthcare (even if you opt to take insurance you still have to go through the NHS to get a diagnosis which can take years). The weather is terrible. Cheap flights to Europe but massive unemployment, coupled with low wages and extortionate living costs make them hard to afford. Glaswegians (that's a joke they're not that bad). Massive taxes on things like food and fuel even though we are apparently the oil capital of Europe. And of course the weather. I know there are much worse places of course, and I know I am lucky compared to some but the one and only good thing about this place from where I'm sitting is that you can get a degree for £1800 a year as opposed to what the Americans pay. Even then that system is widely abused.

I say this not to complain (really!) I'm just pointing it out from a different perspective(The poor boy raised on a council estate who grew up watching the 30k millionaire oil workers roam about with their "status" treating people like me as if we are shit on their shoe and who are swift to remind you how great it is even though, without their credit ratings they would hardly be better off). It's not nice being somewhere you can't stand. I know there are many others on this forum that are in the same position. That feeling of being trapped can cause you to make some stupid desperate mistakes that you wouldn't make otherwise because maybe, just maybe there's a chance of escape. I'm working on mine and I hope everyone else working on theirs gets what they are working for.

Thanks for the well wishes and I hope one day I can post back here as a proud American. Until then it's back to the grindstone :)

Yeah, I was in Aberdeen which I think is a bit of an economic bubble (or it was at the time, I've heard oil prices have crushed the city to a certain extent), but I definitely saw a bit of the downsides you mention. I can see your perspective! I guess when you're only living somewhere temporarily (and also have the option to leave), you tend to focus on the best parts of it. The education costs are definitely a bonus- I got my MSc from Heriot-Watt, for less than a third of the cost of exactly the same degree from the uni where I got my BSc.

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
I think some people here in the US really need to give this a good read, particular young kids who think they have it bad. Now they just want everything free.

Anyhow, this is my *new* Lambo I am working for...

luxury-log-homes-3.jpg

luxury_smoky_mountains_cabin1.jpg

Buying with income already earned is not how I roll either, must be new earnings!
EDITED!!
My Lambo is actually to be able to sustain my lifestyle from my investment income and be able to help a select few family members and friends financially to help change their lives so money isn’t such a tough stressful thing for them.
Two questions @MJ DeMarco when you made your money did you do any of this (like pay off parents house etc) and did things go then and since, like you were expecting after having done it? Also, how’s the buying process coming with your cabin?

Last edited:

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Aug 2, 2013
How does one decide when they’ve achieved “financial freedom”?

I believe it’s ever-changing. I’ve hit my “financial freedom” goal twice so far, yet I wouldn’t at this point consider myself financially free.

But that’s a good thing—as most of us are driven by progress. My lifestyle has improved every time I’ve hit this milestone, but then I am driven to reach even higher heights.

My Lambo goal I guess is to enjoy the journey all the way through.

Edit: I’d also like to achieve the realm of financial freedom where I can quite literally buy a Lambo without any feeling of guilt, stress, or financial burden

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I've put this in off topic as it is more dreamer than progress but thought it would be fun to know peoples reasons for going into business/wanting to make a decent amount of money. MJ spoke about wanting to be the driver of his own lambo. Some want freedom or time with your kids. Mine, I want to emigrate with my family to the U.S. and unless you go the marriage route (which i doubt my wife would appreciate ha!) or have a degree(NOPE!) the only other way is to have money/business assets. That's what keeps my flame burning bright. How about you?
I'm older and way past wanting more "things". At this point in my life, who am I gonna impress? I wanna have less because I don't want the stuff in my life to own me and my time. That being said, I have never decided what I wanna be when I grow up. I love to learn and there's so much to learn out there. There are so many interesting people to talk to, and business opportunities to explore. I don't mind working hard -- as long as I don't feel forced to do it. In my personal life, I want to do quiet activities with my spouse, and live as simply as possible, without worrying about paying the daily bills.

J.Sark

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jan 21, 2017
Spain
For me my lambo is my time. I want to own 24 hours of my day, every day. I am a very spartan person, so 500K would cover everything I need for the rest of my life, and then some. I can imagine my days spent between working out, reading, writing and learning until the end of my days. Share a simple and relaxed life with the people I care about and my cat, traveling every once in a while. I want to become the best possible version of myself. I don't really need anything fancy. Simple, happy life.

I believe owning too much stuff can become a dangerous game to play, the more I have, the softer I become. I am not saying this is necessarily true for everyone, but it is for me.

Last edited:

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
I believe owning too much stuff can become a dangerous game to play, the more I have, the softer I become. I am not saying this is necessarily true for everyone, but it is for me.

Good call. Be careful that your hobbies don't begin to own you. People buy all sorts of stuff that maybe gets used once. And worse than buying something and have it sit there - it actually just haunts you (because you spent a lot of money, or because you realize you never have time, whatever). Maybe it's your golf clubs, or your road bike, or paddleboard.

Always good to keep things to the essentials with respect to "stuff"

Eric Ferner

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Dec 9, 2017
Markgroeningen, Germany
My lambo is the ability to free myself from 9 to 5 and to own my time.
I want to be able to pursue any opportunity I am interested in AND to have enough time to spend with my loved ones.
So matching my salary with the incomes streams I am in control of, is THE goal for me so I can dump the alarm clock.
Anything more than that is nice to have but not my primary goal.
Time >>all the rest

eMIKaE

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 13, 2017
Poland
To pay-off my parents debt, to have ability to take them for vacation to any place on this planet, to buy them a car. Aventador for my Dad, and Range Rover Vogue for my Mom. For my, old BMW 750i E38 would be perfect. Required income to make it happen would be 20-30k$ monthly.
maxresdefault.jpg

ButGregSaid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Aug 9, 2017
Michigan
I can already feel the intense slapping I'm going to get for posting this.

Honestly, I found my 'Lambo' reading a Dave Ramsey book (sorry MJ)... The one thing he mentions in The Total Money Makeover is the 'pinnacle point' and that's the point in your life where your money starts making more than you do. At this very moment in my life, that's all I care about.

Mind you, I don't plan to stop there - when I get my first sale. (And I will) I am probably going to challenge myself to double that every time. First it'll be real-estate, then a nicer car.. but I won't mentally jerk off til I've made that first sale. I am working on this a few ways - from the creation of a product, writing a book and building a system based on the book as MJ did.

I also feel like I should put a disclaimer here: If it's all the same, I don't agree with the slowlane principles put forth by D.R. His book just presented me with an idea that sparked a sense of purpose in my miserable life... and it pollenated even more when I read FLM.

andrewsyc

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Aug 14, 2017
Iowa
I have a number to achieve that I'll keep to myself.

I don't want to be forced to have to do anything that wildly throws my life into disarray. Some people get caught up in debt, a contentious wife, and sporadic job hops; the only thing that changes is time and the ebb and flow of desperation.

Enough funds with discipline where I'm not fretting ever over the future.

Gwenqou

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Aug 10, 2016
1) To provide a good life for my family, pay off their debts and take my family to vacations. I know my parents have been wanting to travel for their entire life. Give my mom everything she wanted.

2) To own myself and my time

3) Be able to say f*ck you and walk away from undesirable situations
(I had one of those instances before and it was one of the best feelings in the world)

TKRR

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 27, 2017
Ohio
Time to create. I have a million things I want to try and time always gets in the way. To do this I need my college debt paid off and house etc... plus enough money to live off of without having to worry about it much that way I can be creative and have time with my family.

jms0717

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Oct 31, 2017
San Angelo, TX
Freedom. I want to know that my husband doesn't have to work unless he wants to, my daughter will grow up never worrying about money (not in a "she can have everything she wants" way, just a "the bills are paid, we have food, and can do fun things without stressing sometimes" way although I want a personal library.) I want to have no debt and money in the bank.

I do want a Tesla, but the freedom is more important.

DCDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Dec 3, 2016
Washington DC
My lambo...

My lambo is to completely retire my mother and my entire immediate family, start college funds for my nieces and nephews, to give back to my community, to volunteer with the homeless and with the youth to show them they do not have to be athletes to achieve a fastlane lifestyle.

To help others achieve their "lambo". To wake up whenever I want and realize I accomplished my fastlane goal. Financially, 50k monthly (without touching the principle), a range rover for the fall and winter and a GTR for the summer and spring, a rowhome in the nicer parts Washington DC and a highrise condo in the nicer parts of LA.

Lastly, to come back to the forum and help those who are lost focus because it took me over a year to figure things out for what will be my fastlane vehicle.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
A while ago I sold the Maserati (one of only 300 made like it) to my best friend. I'm here with him all week and thought it might wear on my nerve to get it back but it really isn't bothering me at all. I think I'm officially over all of that. For many years I wanted a really old Bentley but that has now faded too. I think I'm officially as happy as I can ever get :)

EricFromCanada

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 19, 2017
Canada
My lambo is the ability to travel or do anything that I want, whenever I want with money not being an issue. I'm also aiming to positively impact 1 million people through my business within the next 4 years.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Two questions @MJ DeMarco when you made your money did you do any of this (like pay off parents house etc)

Yes, paid my mother's mortgage off.

Also, how’s the buying process coming with your cabin?

I've been looking. Just spent nearly a week in Sedona looking for places, or at least, a plot of land.

Honestly, I found my 'Lambo' reading a Dave Ramsey book (sorry MJ)

No worries. D. Ramsey has some great tips and points, not all of it is "Slowlane."

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse

The Most typically Scottish rant I've ever seen since Renton in Trainspotting. :):)

Eisenstein

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Dec 1, 2017
Heidelberg, Germany
My big goal: living the life with my SO like it is today (I'm a student, not working), so spending 24 hours with him day by day like it is today. This was my main motivation that kept me starting to explore what wealthy people do differently and how to become wealthy, too. PLUS I want to have the freedom and opportunity to do whatever I want: traveling to Japan today, tomorrow maybe to Singapore and to go to events that are expensive (e.g. I would LOVE to see the band Tool, but they didn't visit Germany for years now. So with money, I can buy tickets for concerts that take place in the US instead.) I want to experience the freedom to stay in an expensive, beautiful place for as long as I like, with my SO or friends. Those possibilities are simply awesome and worth working for it!

Next thing: It makes me really enthusiastic and it feels really really awesome to imagine touching other peoples lives in a positive and helpful way! Alone this feeling to be able to do this is worth working for. Besides that, overcoming selfishness is a beautiful life goal.

Regarding expensive things: I'm not into cars. Even being a billionaire, this is the car I'd buy: Used Volkswagen Beetle Convertible For Sale - Special Offers | Edmunds (Volkswagen Beetle - cute and lovely lol). I also decided I'd buy foods in ALDI as I do today, since I'm a big fan of the Aldi brothers and their work. Expensive things I'd buy: designer clothes, designer handbags and living in a beautiful, expensive, modern apartment. Entering the Slowlane for a while and cutting down my expenses I was surprised that I just don't need that many "things" in my life to be happy (but I'd like the things to have a great quality.)

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I want to buy a home that my family can all go to no matter what. A place where everyone is welcome - it will make me feel so much better to know that I don't have to worry about my mom anymore.

I want complete financial freedom so that I can do only what I feel is most important and help as many people as possible.

Of course, I want many nice things for myself:

An ocean trawler. Doesn't have to be this expensive though lol.
A beautiful home in Georgia and also a beachside home.
The freedom to travel wherever I want and take my family with me.
The freedom to immerse myself in artistic pursuits without worry of financial reward.
As of late: the new Tesla Roadster.

For all of this, I am looking to make at least 15 million. I want to save 10 million for passive income and 5 million for free spending on the homes, lifestyle, etc.

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
  • Financially:
    • Escape the 9 to 5 grind, associated politics, and lack of control
    • Be able to have kids without worrying about the us (parents) not being able to raise them
    • Summer/winter homes with no mortgages
    • Extra room for 'play' and various hobbies with the time to actually enjoy them
    • Never having to complain about a few hundred bucks here and there like so many older folks seem to do
  • Outside of myself:
    • Help spur along the next big of wave of innovation that is only getting started (lots I've written on that and yet to publish...and this is outside of the current fads)
    • Educate youth in a way that is much more efficient and useful than college
    • Build cool things that other people find useful

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
My family was dirt poor so I want enough to raise a family with money not being a worry. And I'm going to need to look after my parents in another 15 years as they quite frankly, failed pretty badly despite their opportunities.

As for toys, I dunno, I would like to learn how to rebuild classic cars and bikes I think. And property in my beachfront home town in Australia is insanely expensive now, so that would do me, ha.

For right now though, really, I just don't want to work for anyone else again. Same as above. Freedom. It's more important than the amount of $$$

Freedom61

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 21, 2015
Tampa, FL
What could be fun is that if anyone who makes earns their "lambo" comes back and quotes their old post and puts up a picture of some kind that shows they have achieved what they wanted. Like if you said freedom post a picture of the beach you were at on a Tuesday afternoon. It would be awesome to see people achieving their dreams.
I'm still working on mine but hopefully I get to come back here when I've made it happen :)

It might not be hanging out on a beach on a Tuesday afternoon but it may be at a sandy motocross track on a Tuesday if that counts :)

I'm hoping to make some this happen before the end of 2018 with parts of my material goals, along with eliminating some debt & want to help my parents as well. My mom had to fight cancer in late 2016/early 2017 & hasn't been able to work much since, thankfully my dad does okay at his job, however... still a job that requires his time & presence to be there but they're not exactly well off.

After experiencing some incredibly deep & dismal failures and my life being hell for basically all of 2016 & 2017 - (let's just say I "invested" into expensive knowledge in advertising/marketing). I learned more in that time than in the 16+ years Pre-12th grade + 4 yrs of college at least when it comes to how to actually sell things & run advertising which is what will get me closer to my "Lambo", among other things.

After experiencing tremendous failure and crippling stress levels a few times in 2017 where on multiple occasions I had 3 days to come up with the remainder of a rent payment or I lose my "crappy" 1 bdrm apt. I'd then somehow pull together the money utilizing whatever sales tactics/promotions I could frantically come up with.....

So I'd like to add becoming totally free in the short term by not needing to work a job (or 2 in my case at the moment), having 6-12 mo. of my life's expenses in a savings that doesn't need to be touched, all my taxes paid without a sweat, and all bad debts (credit cards, student loans) gone....A.K.A. NO STRESS ABOUT MONEY EVER AGAIN!

I want to add to the "Lambo" to include paying off my parents' debts & free up their time from their jobs to help them start some type of Fastlane businesses.

Idk how I missed this in my earlier post but eventually an 8 figure Fastlane exit to truly live an Unscripted life & financially help the members of my family a bunch, along with the very few friends that always believed in my dreams - some of that may very well arrive before the exit event though.

And of course live the life of my dreams as a kid on my own terms - something I was wishing I could have done while walking to middle/high school wishing I had a brand new diesel truck, new dirtbikes, exotic cars, multiple houses, etc. and didn't have to be bored all day listening to teachers lecture and (now former) friends say I couldn't live that life, such a shame because they never will because they never gave themselves a chance.

Jerv

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 27, 2017
Scandinavia
Oh, it's so many things. Don't even know where to start.

Do know where to end though. My end goal is to become an angel investor, with a portfolio containing a majority of social entrepreneurs. I want to change the world by enabling others to change it, in a way. My materialistic self wants a mansion, two art-museums (one down the road from the forementioned mansion, and one in the valley my future cabin/castle would reside) and a petting zoo - I would really, really like to spend my days with baby goats. Oh, and I want to own an unicycle. The old kind of unicycle where it would be a seriouse health risk even trying to get on it.

Milestones:
  • Buy my first home (Renting is slowly killing me)
  • Set up co-working spaces where I live
  • Become a trustworthy expert in whichever field my business will be in.
  • Ten units in my Real Estate-portfolio (mainly cabins, as this is a seriously profitable endeavour here)
  • Ten Start-Ups in my investment-portfolio

Even though I want these things, the essence of what I want to accomplish is an idea, a personal paradigm of sorts. Not exactly freedom, but... Hard to explain, really. We have a saying "i pose og sekk" (literally translated as: In a bag and a bag), but perhaps "having it both ways" would be more correct.

stormjb1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 29, 2013
London, England
1) Freedom. In other words location and time independence, ability to say F*ck you to societal obligations.
3) Mortgage-free property. Even if its just a one-bed flat.
2) Own my own gym with dozens old-school bodybuilding machines for every bodypart, glass roof with loads of natural lighting, motivating rock/hip-hop music on the speakers and artwork and portraits of great men on all the walls.

Last edited:

RichieKastl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Aug 10, 2017
Ohio
I want complete freedom.

I want to be able to do what I want when I want.

Maybe that'll involve learning how to develop video games, or maybe I'll learn digital painting or both.

I don't want to rely on someone else's business for the rest of my life.

I want to be able to support myself and never have to be told what to do.

Telamon25346

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Dec 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas
My lambo isn't a Lambo, it's a benz. (AMG Gtc Roadster)

maxresdefault.jpg

and a penthouse/house that looks like this:

ONarV3c.jpg

that and being able to have at least 24 hours of freedom, 365 days a year.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.