The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's your Lambo? (What are you working for?)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Quite possibly my favorite thread on the forum. It's really nice to get a peek into what drives people, however I do see the common theme of freedom in one way or another.

Marked NOTABLE.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
I mostly do what I have to do.

I want to do what I want to do.

And yeah, there's a bunch of things I'd like to have. A fleet of motorbikes. Being able to charter a private jet because I feel like it. Homes and networks all over the world. Maybe a penthouse in Hong Kong (might need to be worth nine figures for that, mind - and the private jet charters).

But none of those "things" are worth sacrificing years of my life for. Not having financial freedom feels like an urgent, suffocating problem that needs to be taken down at full velocity while everything else sits on the backburner. Then I'll be able to breathe.

Maybe what I want to do when I have that freedom ends up making private jet money anyway. But I'll be doing it because I want to, not because I have to.

And...I'd like to quash that nagging feeling that I've never managed to live up to my potential.

One step at a time...and then, who knows?

hong-kong-china-luxury-penthouses-hong-kong-apartment.jpg

MrYoshi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Apr 15, 2017
I just turned 26 yesterday and it was the most stressful birthday ever haha. I feel like I haven't had a break since I was 17. A long break is all I want, nothing else.

I don't need a fancy car, house or nice toys. I just want enough money to not do anything for weeks and also take both of my parents on vacation. A nice day would be taking my father out to a Manchester United game.

Edit: Also, I'd like to start my own charity one day and find a way to give back to those less fortunate.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
9 figure Portfolio of assets in five sectors;

5000 acres of land
modest house
far away in the wilderness

You can do a modest house in the wilderness for under a million. Haha

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
You can do a modest house in the wilderness for under a million. Haha

Yes but the 5000 acres of land is another story lolll it will most likely be bought in various plots (4-5 1000 acre plots lol)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Yes but the 5000 acres of land is another story lolll it will most likely be bought in various plots (4-5 1000 acre plots lol)

So you want to own the wilderness hahaha. Fair enough.

Vincent_Vega

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 1, 2015
Goal #1: Earn enough money to quit my daytime job and work full-time on my business
Goal #2: Earn enough money to be able to give back to others e.g. buying my parents a house/car
Goal #3: Earn enough money to fund my own charity

CurlyRX

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 23, 2016
Los Angeles, California
I would love to buy my parents a new car - this is something I've been wanting to do for a couple years now.

Next, a beautiful home with a pool, a view, and all the latest amenities that my family can be proud of. I want to do this asap and enjoy it family/friends bc who knows what tomorrow will bring.

And most importantly, as a previous poster said, FREEDOM. Freedom to wake up without an alarm clock. Freedom - so years from now I can look back and be proud of myself for taking action.

Mimi Phan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 5, 2017
San Diego, CA
My lambo is to to be free from working for people (never have to hate Mondays or any workday again!), pay off my parent's house so they don't have to worry about mortgage, build children hospitals in 3rd world countries because I believe all children deserve to be healthy and happy. :)

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Homes. In multiple locales (my current vision has 5 in total). I'm sick of being so far from my entire family, no matter where I am. If I've got homes in all the places my family lives + vacations (my parents now live where most people vacation anyway, but their home is quite small), then there's no excuse for the family not to get together. It's a logistical nightmare planning family get-togethers, but owning homes where people already live (or would like to be at), it'll be as easy as saying 'Hey, J's got a place not too far from there, it fits all of us, let's stay there'.

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Even just a few months ago I would have said "Financial Freedom" but I think "self ownership" is more accurate, and more helpful.

EDIT: To expand on this, I want to own my time & be responsible for myself. Some might call that "freedom" but it isn't necessarily. Even a passive business, or a location-independent business, are only partial freedom. Being an employee = a child with an allowance. But to own yourself is something more, something higher I think than the idea of freedom - at least for me.

Also, underlying this is my greatest desire - setting up a legacy with my family. For my kids to own themselves and their lives. It's more than putting them in position to succeed; everyone in the Middle Class does that, or rather - thinks they do that. It's about nurturing and creating greatness in them.

I want a Tesla, a motorcycle, and a modest boat. I could get all of that for $100k. But it pails in comparison.

Last edited:

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
What could be fun is that if anyone who makes earns their "lambo" comes back and quotes their old post and puts up a picture of some kind that shows they have achieved what they wanted. Like if you said freedom post a picture of the beach you were at on a Tuesday afternoon. It would be awesome to see people achieving their dreams.
I'm still working on mine but hopefully I get to come back here when I've made it happen :)

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth
My own schedule and doing things my way without caring about how much time things take. Basically I want to be able to be a craftsman in my interests.

Captain Jack

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 16, 2015
USA
Here are my goals:

1) Have a ton of children (I'm thinking 4+) while maintaining my current comfortable lifestyle. Children are expensive, man!
2) Retire from my day job when my mother retires from her slowlane job in a few years.
3) Have the option to live comfortably outside of the US if I so desire.

So, basically, freedom!

Great thread!

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Material things:
$400k/year passive income from (likely) Real Estate.

$1m/year profit from business income.

8 Figure exit (because why not).

Gold Royal Oak

Doing RE deals (possibly rehabs/remodels of high end condos in Hawaii) with six figure profits in one/two months excites me, so that's on the list.

I tried and can't really spend $30k/month, so anything extra I don't really know what to do with other than hold cash/invest. i guess my freedom was the most important thing to me, and when I obtained it, I don't really want for a hugely lavish lifestyle. Sure, flying business class/first class is nice, but I'm not opposed to "slumming" it in economy.

I realize I value my time and spending it how I choose is more important than becoming richer. Spending time with close friends and family is more important to me than making extra money.

But I still like making money.

Everything else will fall in line. I'm finding the more money I make, the less I want things. I saw a new Corvette in the gym parking lot, and I thought, wow I could go buy one of those cash no problem. Then I'm like, so what, I'd get bored and wish I didn't buy it 2 weeks later.

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
I've put this in off topic as it is more dreamer than progress but thought it would be fun to know peoples reasons for going into business/wanting to make a decent amount of money. MJ spoke about wanting to be the driver of his own lambo. Some want freedom or time with your kids. Mine, I want to emigrate with my family to the U.S. and unless you go the marriage route (which i doubt my wife would appreciate ha!) or have a degree(NOPE!) the only other way is to have money/business assets. That's what keeps my flame burning bright. How about you?

I just wanted to say thanks for reminding me to be grateful that I am here in the US. It's a much-needed reminder that there is always someone who would love to have the things you take for granted! I actually lived in Scotland until 3 years ago and I miss the stunning views, great hiking, lovely people, and short/cheap flights to everywhere in Europe! So there's a little grass-is-greenerism. Enjoy the things I miss and can't wait to hear news about your family emigrating ;)

I want to learn French and Japanese. I just want to know them, for myself and for knowledge's sake. Yet I have no time to put the study into it with my stupid corporate job (and now pouring all extra time in to entrepreneurship.)

If I may...you should check out Michel Thomas's language learning systems. I'm not sure if they've got Japanese but they definitely have French, and you could listen while you commute. Nothing but listening required! I used to use them to learn languages while I worked. Then once you have spare time, you can just use it to practice!

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
The thought of coming to the end of my life and knowing deep down I could have done 'better'. Helped more people, loved more people, made more amazing memories.

“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.” -Unknown

Booya. I'm with you brother. I think about this daily. By the way-- how's progress for you?

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
This.

801C8A06-3A10-4489-9CE3-2EC4394D3D1E.jpeg This.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
to be able to delete the alarm clock app on my phone.

Amen. When I bust out, I’m gonna leave my alarm clock on my desk at work for the next guy. :playful:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
The ability to do what I did Thanksgiving week ...... take my youngest up to Boston to see his hero, Tom Brady, play football from 4th row seats. Went to Fenway and sat on the Green Monsta. Ate Lobster rolls. Climbed the Bunker Hill monument (nearly died doing so.....294 steps!!). Had a blast.

Stayed in town to site see and flew back on Monday. Very impactful for my youngest to see people going in to work, stuffed into trains, scurrying through streets. He now has a goal .... he wants to go again next season. Told him I would buy the flights if he will buy the tickets.

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth
to be able to delete the alarm clock app on my phone.
Sad thing is: it may not be possible to actually do that. Technically. Depending on what phone you got. On some phones one cannot even uninstall the Facebook app (at least a couple of years ago).

But anyway, I get your point of course and like what you said!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.