The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's your Lambo? (What are you working for?)

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Nov 15, 2022
Work on the financial freedom part of it first. When you get there, it won't be at all what you thought it would be. Your fantasies have nothing to do with reality.

If you become everyone's money bag, you put a target on your back. You become the focus of a lot of strife to get to you first before the rest of the hoard. They will compete for their share of you. It's like being torn apart by a pack of wolves.

You want people to like you and love you You want to be respected. You want to feel like your giving makes a real difference in other people's lives.

So... Here's the biggest thing you will learn! If you give ANYONE anything that they don't feel that they deserve, they will hate you for it. By you give without them adding value by giving back to you and/or others, you are stripping them of their dignity.

If this tips your interest, I will be happy to tell you some ways that I handle this issue.
I've been reading Unscripted and I understand now

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jan 18, 2022
The freedom to play World of Warcraft and hang out with my daughter and girlfriend 24/7.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
So... Here's the biggest thing you will learn! If you give ANYONE anything that they don't feel that they deserve, they will hate you for it. By you give without them adding value by giving back to you and/or others, you are stripping them of their dignity.

If this tips your interest, I will be happy to tell you some ways that I handle this issue.
Not the OP but would be really interested about this.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Not the OP but would be really interested about this.
I provide affordable housing opportunities and some other services for my community. I help people all the time. My resume also includes my helping to start a shelter for homeless women and children. It was years ago in the Los Angeles ghetto. I was Chairman of the Board of the shelter for many years. I have a long history of helping others.

I give just a pinch at a time. I test the waters first to see how they react to my help. Some become totally arrogant and demanding. Some are grateful and ask what they can do to give back. I pull back and stop my help for arrogant ones. I work with the grateful ones.

I have rules.

#1. I only give to those who are helping themselves. If I give something, I also give them an assignment of what they can do to help themselves. And I ask for a future favor -- if I don't ask for something specific. What I ask for doesn't have to equal what I gave. BUT they must do something for themselves and something for me or another person. And I follow up on those commitments. My help is incremental. It's doled out in small measured steps and totally dependent on their reactions and decisions.

When I need something, I have people falling all over me to help me. Yes, I believe in paying forward and being a good guy in my little world. It makes me valuable to the people around me.

And that's just rule #1...

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
@WJK thank you for your response. Much appreciated.

And thank you for the wonderful things you did and do.
I grew up in the ghetto and had my taste of homelessness.

You are someones' angel. Many someones I'm sure.
I wouldn't be here without my angels, and I know one when I see one.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
@WJK thank you for your response. Much appreciated.

And thank you for the wonderful things you did and do.
I grew up in the ghetto and had my taste of homelessness.

You are someones' angel. Many someones I'm sure.
I wouldn't be here without my angels, and I know one when I see one.
I didn't grow up in the ghetto, but I grew up really hard. I'm still very grateful for my "angels" who gave me shelter and spaces where I could grow and thrive. I used to see my background as a negative. Now I see it as the wind under my wings that gave me the guts and the incentive to go further than I ever dreamed I could.

Flawed

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 20, 2022
I want to say "f*ck you" to lazy slowlaners and BACK IT UP painfully. Because they have always attempted to brainwash me into the bucket of losers. They tried to make me ignore my own instincts and tell me my own eyes are wrong.

What I DON'T want is working some job for a company I DONT GIVE A F*ck ABOUT 8 hours a day, watching late night bullshit, gaming and jerking off in a desperate attempt to cope for the rest of my life. What I DON'T want is being a PEASANT bitch compared to "celebrities" who are my age. Fook celebrities. I AM the celebrity!

I want to be free and do whatever the F*ck i want.

I want to travel the world in private jets. I want to own/rent the best of the best supercars, yachts and mansions on my debit card. I want the number on the screen to look the same no matter what I spend. I want to be the big respected bad boy gangster along with my brother.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I want to say "f*ck you" to lazy slowlaners and BACK IT UP painfully. Because they have always attempted to brainwash me into the bucket of losers. They tried to make me ignore my own instincts and tell me my own eyes are wrong.

What I DON'T want is working some job for a company I DONT GIVE A F*ck ABOUT 8 hours a day, watching late night bullshit, gaming and jerking off in a desperate attempt to cope for the rest of my life. What I DON'T want is being a PEASANT bitch compared to "celebrities" who are my age. Fook celebrities. I AM the celebrity!

I want to be free and do whatever the F*ck i want.

I want to travel the world in private jets. I want to own/rent the best of the best supercars, yachts and mansions on my debit card. I want the number on the screen to look the same no matter what I spend. I want to be the big respected bad boy gangster along with my brother.
Good luck. I'm not sure that "things" will give you the happiness you are looking for...

Bidyut

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Mar 27, 2022
Very wonderful
I think some people here in the US really need to give this a good read, particular young kids who think they have it bad. Now they just want everything free.

Anyhow, this is my *new* Lambo I am working for...

luxury_smoky_mountains_cabin1.jpg

Buying with income already earned is not how I roll either, must be new earnings!

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Okay okay, so my friend bought a Honda Civic SRT yesterday and we took it for a test drive. Boy was it really fast, super adrenaline rush. Kinda got me excited and a bit jealous of his car haha!... But I was really happy for him that he got it :).

I got out a bit to explore what it was that I wanted to achieve.

But I think I found a Lamborghini I would love to purchase in 6 or 10 years. Here's a screenshot below. I have a long way to go!

1679843725313.png

Last edited:

Beijing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 8, 2017
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I'm mainly motivated to run my own business because a job does not exist that allows me to maximize the value that I can create for others. I work in a corporate training related niche, and if there's one thing that makes me excited, it's helping others be more successful at their work.

At my last job (which paid very well), I was able to do this on a somewhat limited basis. At my current job (which pays poorly by comparison), it's basically all I do. Guess which job I enjoy most (despite the big pay difference).

However, I'm still very eager to put up my own shingle, because with my current job, there's no room to scale my ability to help others. Although I oversee dozens of employees, I'd like to be able to make an impact for hundreds or thousands. That's something I can only do with a product (or scalable service) driven approach that is beyond what my current employer has the need or desire for.

afana7ev

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Oct 13, 2022
Armenia, Yerevan
As for me, entrepreneurship is a part of my life journey.

I am a person who is content with very little, but life is not just about me - it's about me, my family, the people around me, and the world we live in. I just see entrepreneurship as a grade of my output of the value to my family, to my country, and to humanity overall, and, of course, a grade of mastership in my craft.

So my pursuit is not entrepreneurship or lambo, but rather a mastership in my craft and a higher output of value for people. Entrepreneurship is just a stage that characterizes my success in this.

evanwilson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
I've put this in off topic as it is more dreamer than progress but thought it would be fun to know peoples reasons for going into business/wanting to make a decent amount of money. MJ spoke about wanting to be the driver of his own lambo. Some want freedom or time with your kids. Mine, I want to emigrate with my family to the U.S. and unless you go the marriage route (which i doubt my wife would appreciate ha!) or have a degree(NOPE!) the only other way is to have money/business assets. That's what keeps my flame burning bright. How about you?
I work for happiness and being able to provide a comfortable lifestyle to my family. It makes me happy when my family is happy. That's what motivates me to improve and grow professionally.

Prdgy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Mar 27, 2023
I kind of had a similar Ferrari experience as MJ had. My parents aren't too bad money-wise but it's not like we're swimming in it either. They want what they think is best for me but what they think is best for me is the Slowlane.
There's a guy who I know from the gym I go to. He works out in Off-White sneakers. Sneakers that are worth more than my 3 years of saving my entire allowance. He comes with a different Porsche SUV every day of the week. His age? 27. Twenty goddamn seven. He comes to the gym whenever he wants, he wears whatever he wants. I'm not about the expensive cars, I'm about the freedom to manage my time the way I want, the way I schedule my day. I want to be able to afford eating a good diet, going to the gym for 3 hours to hit great sessions with my buddies, and coming home to read some good books and enjoy some quality time with my girlfriend, and I know damn well that having some money wouldn't hurt that goal.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I'm thinking the same thing. Time and space have become my thing. Over the next year, I'm going to "minimalize" my life. I've been working on that process with my possessions. Now it's time to unload a bunch of obligations and stuff that I have added over the years. It's about taking back my time and my life.

Edoardo

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Aug 31, 2022
my selfish desires: Having all I want without worrying about the spending part, being able to have the top quality food like wagyy steaks imported from Japan, having the best kind of water to drink that doesn't have shit like fluoride artificially added in, having clothes that aren't made in China or in Bangladesh, I don't care about the big brands but about the quality, I don't want to wear plastic nor clothes soaked in who knows what kind of shit chemicals.

My selfless desires: Solving problems in our western society, being able to actually give a lot of money to causes that I believe in, helping good people who struggle in life, making many kids and making ubermenschen out of them and being able to have good private professors without having to send them to shitty multicultural and communistic loving school.

Josh Spiller

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Mar 27, 2023
I've put this in off topic as it is more dreamer than progress but thought it would be fun to know peoples reasons for going into business/wanting to make a decent amount of money. MJ spoke about wanting to be the driver of his own lambo. Some want freedom or time with your kids. Mine, I want to emigrate with my family to the U.S. and unless you go the marriage route (which i doubt my wife would appreciate ha!) or have a degree(NOPE!) the only other way is to have money/business assets. That's what keeps my flame burning bright. How about you?
The main aim that I have in my life is to move to a country/island like those in the canary islands, by my early/mid 20's. I am currently 17 and living in the uk, I just need to truly keep my focus on business and I know that I will be able to turn this into a reality.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
The main aim that I have in my life is to move to a country/island like those in the canary islands, by my early/mid 20's. I am currently 17 and living in the uk, I just need to truly keep my focus on business and I know that I will be able to turn this into a reality.
My questions are: How long will this dream take? How many years are you willing to devote to your dream? Do you have the grit to stick to it and make it work? Are you willing to continue working when your friends are out there partying while they make fun of you? They will chant in unison that you need to get a life and have fun like them. Can you stand up to them when they tell you that your dream is stupid? If you have the guts, the world is yours!

Josh Spiller

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Mar 27, 2023
My questions are: How long will this dream take? How many years are you willing to devote to your dream? Do you have the grit to stick to it and make it work? Are you willing to continue working when your friends are out there partying while they make fun of you? They will chant in unison that you need to get a life and have fun like them. Can you stand up to them when they tell you that your dream is stupid? If you have the guts, the world is yours
The aspect of removing myself from my friends was probably one of the most challenging parts of my journey yet. Everyone is now in the age where they are partying and for the first few months cutting away from friends I felt jealous and as if I was missing out, but now that I dont have any friends anymore I do not have these options and it feels as if my only option in my life is to now keep on working to my dream. I believe that this acts as the biggest source of motivation for me to reach my dreams in life. I have to focus on bouncing back from the challenges life throws my way, which is the hardest part of the journey.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
The aspect of removing myself from my friends was probably one of the most challenging parts of my journey yet. Everyone is now in the age where they are partying and for the first few months cutting away from friends I felt jealous and as if I was missing out, but now that I dont have any friends anymore I do not have these options and it feels as if my only option in my life is to now keep on working to my dream. I believe that this acts as the biggest source of motivation for me to reach my dreams in life. I have to focus on bouncing back from the challenges life throws my way, which is the hardest part of the journey.
Losing your circle of friends is both a blessing and a disaster for you. Now go find like-minded people to share the journey and exchange information. The wise man learns from the successes and mistakes that they watch in others. I am also a great reader. I love biographies and autobiographies. You are following the path of many that have gone before you.

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
I’m doing it for the freedom most importantly, but also to travel, to buy a few supercars including lambos and ferraris, eating out at expensive restaurants, working out at the best gyms, and more stuff which I can’t reveal here.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I’m doing it for the freedom most importantly, but also to travel, to buy a few supercars including lambos and ferraris, eating out at expensive restaurants, working out at the best gyms, and more stuff which I can’t reveal here.
Freedom is directly the opposite of wanting all that expensive stuff. Owning all that stuff looks really sexy until you get there! It gets to be a burden really fast.

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
Freedom is directly the opposite of wanting all that expensive stuff. Owning all that stuff looks really sexy until you get there! It gets to be a burden really fast.
I won’t let money take me over. I plan to stay down to earth, now and always. The main goal is freedom, freedom to buy anything, to travel anywhere.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I won’t let money take me over. I plan to stay down to earth, now and always. The main goal is freedom, freedom to buy anything, to travel anywhere.
I agree.

Financial independence for me is the freedom to not have to own stuff or keep stuff around. If I need something I can buy it, rent it, borrow it, or hire a service. When I travel, I can travel light and buy what I need along the way. Then, when I'm ready to go home, I can donate that item, mail it home (they have USP and FedEx stores that pack it up and send it for me), or simply leave it at the hotel. I don't have to worry about getting rid of something because I may need it someday.

I'm to the point where there's very little that I want to buy or places I want to go where I haven't already been. I am a minimalist at heart.

When I was young, I was a trophy wife to a man who worked for a major oil company. I hated being treated like a blond bimbo -- a dumb blond -- although I looked the part. He dressed me up like his own China doll to go to all of his social events. He took me to the store and had me try on clothes until he found the ones he liked for me to wear. Then he charged them to my credit card. I was a successful RE broker, but I was working in the Los Angeles ghetto which to him, was unacceptable. We traveled a lot with me on his arm. We had a picture-perfect life that I hated. It just wasn't me.

I learned a lot during those years and I made some contacts that I used later in my RE career. After that marriage ended, I morphed into being a commercial RE appraiser (there were only 7% women in that career and they didn't license us until the 1990s), went to law school, and became an expert witness in RE matters in State and Federal court. `Mostly I learned that I don't have to listen to BS and I can do whatever I want to do. The rules were there to bend and break. I also learned that I can hold my own with the "big boys" and I could play on their turf. My ex was considered to be a genius in his field. I came out feeling like I was smarter than was because I have good common sense. He couldn't tie his shoes without supervision. I came to understand how the corporate world works and I want nothing to do with it unless they are paying me big bucks to consult.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.