• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Tired of broke bloggers giving you advice? Within minutes, get millionaire advice from real entrepreneurs who live the dream.

*UNSCRIPTED* What's your focus? Making pennies? Or Millions?

Discussion in 'The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Mind' started by MJ DeMarco, Apr 11, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $212,084
    Admin Post
    What's your focus?
    Making pennies and changing your weekend?
    Or making millions and changing your life?

Over the years I've seen a lot of threads on the forum which ask generalized investment questions.

Things such as...

"I've got $1000, how do I invest it for a good return?"
    "Just saved $5K, where should I put it?"

Here, just recently:

What would you do with $1,000?
    Seeking advice on my life plan

While I advocate financial literacy and basic economic knowledge as an ongoing goal, I don't advocate it as a FOCUS.

Why?

Because learning how to turn $1,000 into $1,100 in 1 year is a ridiculous waste of time and focus. $100 is an above average 10% return.

:star::star::star::star::star:
    Instead you should be focused on turning $1,000 into a BUSINESS which turns into MILLIONS.
    :star::star::star::star::star:

THEN, you can focus on "How do I invest the $3.5M I just got from selling my company?" into a worthwhile focus that legitimately yields meaningful returns.

Here's an example in my own life...

Here it is:

lendingclub.png

Yup, that's the dismal return in my LENDING TREE account. (Which I have now neglected for 6 months.)

Go ahead, laugh. Queue up the jokes.

Now here's the entire point I'm trying to make: When I see this sad return in my Lending Tree account, I have (2) choices --

1. Focus on maximizing the returns and get the yield up to something better than average, say 11, 12 or 13%
    2. Ignore it and just discount the venue as an investment option.

I know I can do 1 if I just put forth the time, research, and effort into the medium.

Assuming I've invested just $10K into the venue what do you think I will do?

The answer is 2.

And this thread is why.

Why on earth would I spend countless hours trying to raise my yield in this account when its meaningful returns amounts to a few hundred dollars? On a $10,000 investment, the difference between 4.5% and 11% is a paltry $650 bucks. :bulb:

I'm not going to spend HOURS researching and dally-whacking at something when the outcome reflects a $650 return on my time -- assuming it goes well!

And since I'm not willing to risk more principle into the venue, my choice is a no-brainer.

In essence, this is a millionaire mindset where your focus isn't churning pennies, but meaningful dollars.

On the flip side, the answer could be 1 if I was willing to invest $1M into the medium. Then the difference between 4.5% and 11% comes out to an extra $5,400 per month -- a meaningful dollar amount.

Unfortunately, because LC and P2P lending is untested and still relatively new (sorry, don't trust 'em!) the answer will remain 2.

In the end, where are you focusing your effort?

Into knowledge and activities that will upgrade your life forever?
    Or is your focus on the things that can upgrade your weekend temporarily?

:bulb:Focus on meaningful things that can be meaningful to your life. :party:

- MJ :cool:

For more information on HOW TO INVEST $X,000, visit here:
    GOLD - The final solution to all "I have some money what do I do?" threads.

2. rollerskates

rollerskates Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,921
    This is a fine phrase. :thumbsup:

AMEN. This cannot be repeated enough.:clap::

3. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $212,084
  4. G-Man

G-Man Legendary Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $5,365
    I once sat in a Chase branch for over an hour because they were offering a promotion where they gave you a $100 bonus if you put at least $10k in a savings account (and kept it there for a year).

I spent an hour of my life, and locked up 10k for 12 months, trying to raise my yield from .01% to 1%.

5. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $212,084
    Admin Post
    That's excusable. You probably went there thinking it would take 10 minutes. Once it went beyond 10 minutes, then it became about a sunk cost. :smuggy:

6. Brian C.

Brian C. Slingshot, Engage. Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,593
    At 22, I funneled my efforts into financial literacy - namely securities.

Read books such as the infamous "Intelligent Investor," and attempted to grow the little funds I had.

While financial literacy is certainly advisable, it wasn't worth the resources I put into "achieving" it - except for the lesson learned.

You're not likely to get rich from investing in the stock market. The odds are DEFINITELY not in your favor, and there are people out there much more enlightened who are playing against you. Thinking you'll get rich quick with ANY amount of money invested in securities is a fraud. You won't.

My current view is that the wealthy don't invest in the stock market to accumulate more wealth. They simply use it as a vehicle to preserve their wealth.

As you said @MJ DeMarco , they're concerned with making millions as opposed to pennies. And once you have millions, making pennies is relatively achievable and sustainable.

7. G-Man

G-Man Legendary Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $5,365
    I couldn't make it through that one. Had some really great lines to the effect of "focus on controlling yourself rather than trying to control the market", but later on when Graham lays out what someone who consistently uses his system can expect to see in returns, I was like "Why am I gonna read this big ass book to make 4%"?

LinorCG, Edward1975, Waisech and 8 others like this.
  8. PaulRobert

PaulRobert Gold Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,172
    I've had this discussion with people my age (23-25) about % returns. I said to them bluntly.. "I don't invest in anything that won't give me a return of at least 1000%." They look at me like I've lost my shit and immediately ask what the hell gives that kind of return. People say my thought process is foolish. I laugh.

To me foolish is putting your money into something that yields you 1-2% A YEAR or hoping that a stock will go up 5% over a a time period. It's pissing TIME away. As stated above, the only situation where small percentages make sense is with larger sums aka SCALE.

My time and money are not worth 1-2% in 12 months.

9. 4Ring_

4Ring_ New Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $82
    The only true path to financial success on the markets is through compounding growth from investing in strong companies that last throughout your lifetime.

Unfortunately, most of us youngins can't afford to lock away our life earnings into the market, as our capital is the lifeblood of our businesses. Therefore, unless you have boatloads of cash that you don't know what to do with, this question shouldn't even pop into your head.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  10. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Silver Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,044
    Am I so feeling the vibes from TMF now!
    I think the intelligent investor is more about identifying potential companies that could be winners. 4% only becomes significant if you pump in a shit ton of cash. 4% returns on a hundred thousand bucks investment is more than a 4% returns on a measely thousand dollars. The more you put in, the more you get. But of course if the investment goes to crap, you get some losses.

Graham's advice is sound, although it seems slowlane. Probably it can be considered a forefather of fundamental investing, that is not corrupted by scammers. But I think such tools should only be deployed later on after Fastlane business success.

Never put the cart before the horse.
    Too true!
    Hell, you might even get 10000% back if the market is desperate enough!
    But you can't blame those people for taking things the wrong way. It's not that anyone had the time to sit down and calculate the metrics and equations of the Fastlane potency, as MJ did in TMF. They are all busy working their asses off trying to survive amidst debt and SCRIPTED frameworks instead of working to dominate in an UNSCRIPTED business!

LinorCG, G-Man and AgainstAllOdds like this.
  11. mike24601

mike24601 Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,919
    I don't know how a banker can sit there with a straight face and sell someone a CD at 0.45% that would tie their liquid assets up for potentially years only to earn a few bucks. There are scores of articles out there praising the virtues of an Ally "High Yield" savings account that earns you a blistering 1% a year. Granted, that's great compared to most savings accounts, but barely justifies the exertion on my pointer finger that it would take to change banks.

12. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $212,084
    Admin Post
    Not to mention that in the last fiscal crisis, a lot of banks went bankrupt. IMO, locking up your cash with a bank bears a risk that should pay 10%, not 1%.

And FDIC as a backstop is a poor source of insurance.

13. G-Man

Rep Bank:
    $5,365
    The only reason it carries on is that when you loan to a bank you're competing with your own government. Another example of how being a responsible slowlaner just gets you fucked (milked?) from every direction.

BradD and MidwestLandlord like this.
  14. anthonyseoul

anthonyseoul New Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $102
    I think we're so conditioned with these tiny numbers (4%, 2%, even 0.5%!) that people just accept that they are the best returns possible. We see these numbers all around us (newspapers, banks, government statements). When someone see 5 or 6%, they are then blown away. When you take inflation into consideration, these numbers get even smaller.

I think it takes an open mind and the right guidance to see that there are much grater returns elsewhere, and that in fact you don't have to settle for these small numbers. TFM was certainly a mind-opener for me in this sense. The mathematics of it don't lie.

15. StompingAcorns

StompingAcorns Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,819
    I really liked this section of Unscripted, MJ. I love the way you can put into words what I intuitively know on some level but can't express the way you do!

Dinho7, ZF Lee and #nowhere like this.
  16. Caonex Abreu

Caonex Abreu Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $863
    "Unfortunately, because LC and P2P lending is untested and still relatively new (sorry, don't trust 'em!) the answer will remain 2."

Prosper recently sent out a statement saying that their returns were being calculated wrong on the site. My "returns" went from 10.71% to 7.2%. When you factor in the risk levels it just doesn't make much sense and if they can't state their returns correctly I don't want much to do with them. I am slowly phasing out my P2P investment.
    upload_2017-5-23_9-30-25.png

Last edited: May 23, 2017