• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

O/T: HEALTH What's good about your gym

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Alfreda Powell, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Alfreda Powell

Alfreda Powell New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $37
    As per title what is it about the gym you go to that you like ?

Roli likes this.
  2. PureA

PureA Winners never quit Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,322
    It's open 24 hours.

3. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $374,090
    Admin Post
    The yoga pants.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :rofl:

4. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $175,407
    It’s close.

jwhanke and Jello like this.
  5. ZCP

ZCP Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $25,200
    it is in my garage and no one is doing F*cking squat rack curls in my rack

6. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $16,173
    Used to go to a gym nearby. Until an overweight couple bought the place and are turning it into "tearoom with some accidental weights".

Went to another gym close, but very old and broken equipment. I was bored very quickly, only stayed there for a month.

Now I drive 20 minutes for a very good one: recent and good equipment, young and hardworking athletes, space to breathe, pretty girls doing booty-work,... Makes it all way more pleasant to work out!

Primeperiwinkle, Roz, Roli and 3 others like this.
  7. jakeG

jakeG Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $552
    Mine is in my garage now. I have a Rogue RPL-3WC rack, bumpers, dumbells, bands, the works. The only downside right now is that my garage is not insulated so during the winter I have to turn on a space heater and basically defrost the place before I work out. It's great during the summer though bc I sweat a ton when doing almost nothing in there.

Before that though, the biggest criteria for me in a gym were weight and machine availability. Any gym worth it mettle needs enough racks, dumbells, plates, bars, and benches for its members. That and also having enough space in the free wight area. Nothing is worse than being packed into a tiny area to a point where your movements are limited and you cant do anything without the potential of hitting someone else mid lift.

One thing I HATED about my last gym is that they would have the cleaning people come in at like 6 o clock several nights per week. So they would be wiping down machines, the floors, etc. with cleaning chemicals while people are trying to lift and run on treadmills. Having chemicals in the air while your customers are trying to get their breath and heart rate going is so dumb. This was also during their most active time of day which I also did not understand. So not only are there chemicals in the air, but the cleaning people are taking up space, moving around the gym getting in the way. I privately complained to the gym owner and they eventually changed the cleaning time to around 8 pm. Which helped I guess but still sucked. This was a 24 hr gym so I dont know why they didnt do the cleaning at 3-4 AM.

daru, Roli and Jello like this.
  8. jon.M

jon.M Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $35
    I've had a 6-month membership at a gym I despise.

The lightning's supposed to look cool and make the majority of members, chubby wannabes, appear ripped, but it only gives you migraines.

The stairmasters don't work and never did.

Air flow's terrible.

The owner's such a cheap-a$$ he won't even use paper towels on the toilets. They've got regular, soggy cotton towels. On a gym with hundreds of members.

The membership terms clearly state that no children are allowed in the gym, which is understandable due to the risks. But the owner's got the hots for this single mom, so every fricking day she brings her whiny little kid whose constant, terrorizing scream can be heard throughout the whole facility. And you know what she does every time he gets one of his rampages? Laughs, takes a sip of her trendy BCAA-soda and takes a photo of that little F*cker.

And it's the most expensive, supposedly 'high-end' gym in the area.

The benefit I like is that they've got a nice set Eleiko barbells. Haha.

Roli and Xeon like this.
  9. GreasyGinger

GreasyGinger Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $311
    I despise doing cardio in the gym. I find it boring and repetitive. My gym has 6 cardio machines but 10 squat racks and enough plates and dumbbells to sink a cruise ship. This makes keeps away a lot of the casual gym goers, which probably means it won't stay open too long.

Xeon, Timmy1990 and RazorCut like this.
  10. ApparentHorizon

ApparentHorizon Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,945
    It's empty in the morning

Roz and RazorCut like this.
  11. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $374,090
    Admin Post
    Interesting that most folks are posting what they HATE about their gym.

Kruiser, Roz, Roli and 3 others like this.
  12. AgainstAllOdds

AgainstAllOdds Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $61,482
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Biggest Negative:
    • $180 a month
    • Don't let you pause when traveling

What's Good About My Gym:

• No wait times for the free weights/machines; I'd say 95% of the time I do my own routine in the order I want to do it and don't wait for anyone to "finish" or "work in". Wait times are huge for me since I value my time and also have my lifting routine optimized for growth - mixing up the sets throws off my metrics that I'm tracking.
    • All new weights/machines
    • The people: They're generally wealthier, more attractive, and polite
    • Extremely clean
    • All the free weights and machines that I want
    • Outdoor pool
    • Indoor pool
    • Hot tubs indoor/outdoor
    • Steam room
    • Dry sauna
    • Showers that are really clean
    • Free top quality towels, shampoo, body wash, conditioner, etc
    Overall, it's one of the few luxuries that I use often. I understand the benefits of working out at home, however, for me the gym is an escape from reality. I leave the warehouse or home and go lift weights for 2-3 hours in an environment where I can fully relax and escape from my day to day. For 10-15 hours a week, I'm on the same level as some of the richest people in Chicago (now just have to get that number up to 112 hours).

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Kingmaker, Bdenner64, Chapas and 17 others like this.
  13. rogainer

rogainer 10 2 10 FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,158
    I like that they have lots of squat racks and deadlift platforms. My gym also has an outdoor area which is sweeeet.

AgainstAllOdds likes this.
  14. Jello

Jello Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $993
    That's what I noticed as well.

What I like about my gym;
    Nearby
    The design (different rooms but very open. Corners and mirrors).
    Sauna and tanning bed included.
    Some of the trainers.
    Most of the girls.

What I dislike about my gym;
    They only open at 08 am

Xeon and AgainstAllOdds like this.
  15. jakeG

jakeG Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $552
    [​IMG]

Chapas, Roli, jasoncuellar123 and 4 others like this.
  16. becks22

becks22 90% coffee, 10% everything else Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,315
    I really like that my gym is women only. Huge plus for me

Roli, Xeon, Sheens and 2 others like this.
  17. MisterBHZ

MisterBHZ Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,128
    All the fine & tight body women wearing leggings so tight, you can see they aren’t wearing underwear.

I’m getting ready to go the gym in a few.........

18. Jonathan Hoch

Jonathan Hoch Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,783
    I built a 5 bedroom house for my 3 person family. 1 master, 1 kid room, 2 office, and 1 gym. It's nice being able to blast whatever you want. When I lift, Lamb of God Sacrament. Can't do that at the LA fitness, without scaring off all the yoga pants.. :D

I would say the eye candy is probably the biggest thing that I miss, along with the comradery of a few trainers that I used to work with, but the initial investment of a couple thousand for the home setup far outweighs the cheaper cost of a local gym membership.

Chapas, MC Hammer and Xeon like this.
  19. Jonathan Hoch

Jonathan Hoch Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,783
    Closest gym is a planet fitness, they give out "introduction pizzas" hahaha wtFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

20. Timmy1990

Timmy1990 I Will Not Stop! Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,878
    They want to do business with me.

Also the woman lol.

Miss my MMA gym though comoradery, team work etc can't wait to go back it's so much more fun than regular gyms no egos, well less egos, but been busy with business stuff I'll get back into it shortly.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    RazorCut, Xeon and AgainstAllOdds like this.
  21. rogue synthetic

rogue synthetic * Not actually Rutger Hauer Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,587
    I trained in a semi-private strength-focused gym for most of the last decade. Loved the place. Downside was, it was usually near empty when I was lifting. I don't mind solitude sometimes, and it's great for access to equipment. But sometimes it grates on you...especially now that I'm out of my nose-bleed death-metal must-crush-weights phase of life.

Also, it was just slightly too far out of range to make hitting the gym a "no brainer", which is a big downside in my book.

I switched to a "normie gym" a month ago and I gotta say it's been kinda fun being around a crowd of people, and with more stuff to play with than barbells, dumbbells and a Prowler. Plus it has the advantage of being 10 minutes away on foot, under 5 with public transport. Big bonus points for structure.

22. Jonathan Hoch

Rep Bank:
    $1,783
    Oh man, that's my exact thought process. Superset A/B 45 minutes of rage.

The normie gym I was at, LA Fitness, had too many limp wrists. I was friends with 4 trainers, and would go there at noon for a lunch workout. I saved my clean/jerk for fridays. We would be over in a corner of the free weight area where there weren't any people. Most of the people that went were machine dwellers.

One day we were doing sets of 225 clean and jerks, between 4 of us and the gym manager came over. He said someone complained about a bunch of guys making too much noise, and doing dangerous crossfit exercises. That we were going to hurt the people around us.

He was bigger than all of us, and added an extra 50lbs, and did a 275 clean and jerk. "You guys need more weight, is what the complaint sounded like to me." He walked off and we laughed. I DO miss the yoga pants though... :D

Andy Black and Xeon like this.
  23. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 I’m probably awake. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,107
    It’s at my house and it’s free.

24. OlivierMo

OlivierMo Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $837
    the sauna. otherwise i exercise outside

Xeon likes this.
  25. Ecom man

Ecom man Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $33,041
    Location location location. That and it’s $10 a month lol. I love being a 5 minute drive away. In an hour I can get there, get my workout done, and get home.

Xeon likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.