The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

O/T: HEALTH What's good about your gym

Alfreda Powell

New Contributor
Jan 19, 2019
san jose
As per title what is it about the gym you go to that you like ?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It’s close.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Used to go to a gym nearby. Until an overweight couple bought the place and are turning it into "tearoom with some accidental weights".

Went to another gym close, but very old and broken equipment. I was bored very quickly, only stayed there for a month.

Now I drive 20 minutes for a very good one: recent and good equipment, young and hardworking athletes, space to breathe, pretty girls doing booty-work,... Makes it all way more pleasant to work out!

jakeG

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 9, 2019
Birmingham, Al
Mine is in my garage now. I have a Rogue RPL-3WC rack, bumpers, dumbells, bands, the works. The only downside right now is that my garage is not insulated so during the winter I have to turn on a space heater and basically defrost the place before I work out. It's great during the summer though bc I sweat a ton when doing almost nothing in there.

Before that though, the biggest criteria for me in a gym were weight and machine availability. Any gym worth it mettle needs enough racks, dumbells, plates, bars, and benches for its members. That and also having enough space in the free wight area. Nothing is worse than being packed into a tiny area to a point where your movements are limited and you cant do anything without the potential of hitting someone else mid lift.

One thing I HATED about my last gym is that they would have the cleaning people come in at like 6 o clock several nights per week. So they would be wiping down machines, the floors, etc. with cleaning chemicals while people are trying to lift and run on treadmills. Having chemicals in the air while your customers are trying to get their breath and heart rate going is so dumb. This was also during their most active time of day which I also did not understand. So not only are there chemicals in the air, but the cleaning people are taking up space, moving around the gym getting in the way. I privately complained to the gym owner and they eventually changed the cleaning time to around 8 pm. Which helped I guess but still sucked. This was a 24 hr gym so I dont know why they didnt do the cleaning at 3-4 AM.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
I've had a 6-month membership at a gym I despise.

The lightning's supposed to look cool and make the majority of members, chubby wannabes, appear ripped, but it only gives you migraines.

The stairmasters don't work and never did.

Air flow's terrible.

The owner's such a cheap-a$$ he won't even use paper towels on the toilets. They've got regular, soggy cotton towels. On a gym with hundreds of members.

The membership terms clearly state that no children are allowed in the gym, which is understandable due to the risks. But the owner's got the hots for this single mom, so every fricking day she brings her whiny little kid whose constant, terrorizing scream can be heard throughout the whole facility. And you know what she does every time he gets one of his rampages? Laughs, takes a sip of her trendy BCAA-soda and takes a photo of that little F*cker.

And it's the most expensive, supposedly 'high-end' gym in the area.

The benefit I like is that they've got a nice set Eleiko barbells. Haha.

GreasyGinger

Contributor
Dec 12, 2017
Calgary
I despise doing cardio in the gym. I find it boring and repetitive. My gym has 6 cardio machines but 10 squat racks and enough plates and dumbbells to sink a cruise ship. This makes keeps away a lot of the casual gym goers, which probably means it won't stay open too long.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Interesting that most folks are posting what they HATE about their gym.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

Biggest Negative:
  • $180 a month
  • Don't let you pause when traveling

What's Good About My Gym:

• No wait times for the free weights/machines; I'd say 95% of the time I do my own routine in the order I want to do it and don't wait for anyone to "finish" or "work in". Wait times are huge for me since I value my time and also have my lifting routine optimized for growth - mixing up the sets throws off my metrics that I'm tracking.
  • All new weights/machines
  • The people: They're generally wealthier, more attractive, and polite
  • Extremely clean
  • All the free weights and machines that I want
  • Outdoor pool
  • Indoor pool
  • Hot tubs indoor/outdoor
  • Steam room
  • Dry sauna
  • Showers that are really clean
  • Free top quality towels, shampoo, body wash, conditioner, etc
Overall, it's one of the few luxuries that I use often. I understand the benefits of working out at home, however, for me the gym is an escape from reality. I leave the warehouse or home and go lift weights for 2-3 hours in an environment where I can fully relax and escape from my day to day. For 10-15 hours a week, I'm on the same level as some of the richest people in Chicago (now just have to get that number up to 112 hours).

Last edited:

Jello

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 1, 2018
NL
Interesting that most folks are posting what they HATE about their gym.
That's what I noticed as well.

What I like about my gym;
Nearby
The design (different rooms but very open. Corners and mirrors).
Sauna and tanning bed included.
Some of the trainers.
Most of the girls.

What I dislike about my gym;
They only open at 08 am

jakeG

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 9, 2019
Birmingham, Al

Biggest Negative:
  • $180 a month

• No wait times for the free weights/machines; I'd say 95% of the time I do my own routine in the order I want to do it and don't wait for anyone to "finish" or "work in". Wait times are huge for me since I value my time and also have my lifting routine optimized for growth - mixing up the sets throws off my metrics that I'm tracking.
  • Extremely clean
  • Outdoor pool
  • Indoor pool
  • Steam room
  • Dry sauna
Overall, it's one of the few luxuries that I use often. I understand the benefits of working out at home, however, for me the gym is an escape from reality. I leave the warehouse or home and go lift weights for 2-3 hours in an environment where I can fully relax and escape from my day to day. For 10-15 hours a week, I'm on the same level as some of the richest people in Chicago (now just have to get that number up to 112 hours).

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 17, 2019
I built a 5 bedroom house for my 3 person family. 1 master, 1 kid room, 2 office, and 1 gym. It's nice being able to blast whatever you want. When I lift, Lamb of God Sacrament. Can't do that at the LA fitness, without scaring off all the yoga pants.. :D

I would say the eye candy is probably the biggest thing that I miss, along with the comradery of a few trainers that I used to work with, but the initial investment of a couple thousand for the home setup far outweighs the cheaper cost of a local gym membership.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
They want to do business with me.

Also the woman lol.

Miss my MMA gym though comoradery, team work etc can't wait to go back it's so much more fun than regular gyms no egos, well less egos, but been busy with business stuff I'll get back into it shortly.

Last edited:

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 2, 2017
I trained in a semi-private strength-focused gym for most of the last decade. Loved the place. Downside was, it was usually near empty when I was lifting. I don't mind solitude sometimes, and it's great for access to equipment. But sometimes it grates on you...especially now that I'm out of my nose-bleed death-metal must-crush-weights phase of life.

Also, it was just slightly too far out of range to make hitting the gym a "no brainer", which is a big downside in my book.

I switched to a "normie gym" a month ago and I gotta say it's been kinda fun being around a crowd of people, and with more stuff to play with than barbells, dumbbells and a Prowler. Plus it has the advantage of being 10 minutes away on foot, under 5 with public transport. Big bonus points for structure.

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 17, 2019
But sometimes it grates on you...especially now that I'm out of my nose-bleed death-metal must-crush-weights phase of life.
Oh man, that's my exact thought process. Superset A/B 45 minutes of rage.

The normie gym I was at, LA Fitness, had too many limp wrists. I was friends with 4 trainers, and would go there at noon for a lunch workout. I saved my clean/jerk for fridays. We would be over in a corner of the free weight area where there weren't any people. Most of the people that went were machine dwellers.

One day we were doing sets of 225 clean and jerks, between 4 of us and the gym manager came over. He said someone complained about a bunch of guys making too much noise, and doing dangerous crossfit exercises. That we were going to hurt the people around us.

He was bigger than all of us, and added an extra 50lbs, and did a 275 clean and jerk. "You guys need more weight, is what the complaint sounded like to me." He walked off and we laughed. I DO miss the yoga pants though... :D

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Apr 17, 2014
Location location location. That and it’s $10 a month lol. I love being a 5 minute drive away. In an hour I can get there, get my workout done, and get home.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 29, 2011
The thing I like most about my gym is the lack of deal-breaking negatives. Not amazing, but not bad. It gets the job done.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
1) It's open 24 hours a day.

2) It's free.

3) I can take my own sweet time without having to worry about smelly **c**s standing around, waiting for me to be done. Pretty pressuring.

4) I can workout in any attire I want without having to look at other's expensive gym gear, aka Under Armour or Adidas. Never understood why people wear these stuff.....it's not going to help you lift 20 lbs more, but it'll make other bros ogle at your butt.

5) I don't have to endure all these male gymers who look at me from time to time. I suspect they're gay. Otherwise why would you look at another guy? LOL

6) I can be more adventurous and try out different exercises without feeling weird.

7) I don't have to travel to the gym, saving me 5+ hours each week.

8) No need to wait 20 mins or more while these other folks hog the equipment.

9) It's in my bedroom

Not sure what kind of gyms all these folks posting here go to. The Planet Fitness / Cali Fitness type? At the public gyms I go to, it's a complete sausage fest.....

Last edited:

Roli

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015
It has a very lazy membership who hardly use it! Often I go and it feels like my own private gym in which I have about ten friends milling about the place.

The pool hasn't got a proper deep end, however it's long enough (20m) and has a Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room.

I love the showers as well, nice clean, spacious cubicles. I also like the little touches, like having moisturiser, and a spin machine in the changing rooms to dry your swimming trunks.

I like the little cafe selling healthy snacks and food, however it doesn't seem to be open enough.

I love the fact that they give out free fitness M.O.Ts whereby each member gets a full health assessment and gym plan for free.

The fitness staff there are great, very friendly and knowledgeable as well, which is the exact opposite to my old gym.

Most of all I love the fact it's a nice, clean, relaxing place where I can keep fit and healthy!

Roli

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015

Biggest Negative:
  • $180 a month

• Extremely clean
  • Outdoor pool
  • Indoor pool
  • Steam room
  • Dry sauna
Beautiful! Well worth the money :oops::smile: if I could, I'd join :)

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 3, 2014
England UK
For me it's:
  • 3-4 min drive away
  • Small, but usually quiet
  • Located in forest clearing
  • Steam room
  • Sauna
  • Swimming pool
  • Two jacuzzi’s
  • Great staff
Having the extra facilities is a good carrot to ensure I make it there 5-6 days a week. Can't beat a sauna after a hard workout.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom